Homemade Dry Scalp Treatments

Category Dry Skin
You don't have to buy commercial dry scalp treatments; you can make your own using ingredients you may already have around the house. This is a guide about homemade dry scalp treatments.

• ginger root
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice

Directions:

1. Squeeze ginger root through press to obtain one tablespoon of juice.
  2. Ad

3. Mix all ingredients.
  4. Apply to scalp and let dry before shampooing.
  5. Repeat three times a week.

By Ellen Brown

Note: Some recipes are not suitable for sensitive skin. Each person is different, so test on the inside arm or wrist for any possible allergic reactions before using these recipes.

I have very dry scalp and hair problems. What are some homemade secrets to fix this? It is very embarrassing and I need help!

Chrissy

Answers

Chrissy, I use about 1/3 cup of white vinegar mixed in about 1/3 cup of water and pour it over my hair after I've already shampooed and rinsed with water. It will leave your hair very soft and the vinegar smell is gone once your hair is dried.

For dry scalp and hair, slightly warm mayonnaise (yes, you heard me right!) and rub into dry hair. Wrap with a towel for about 1/2 hour. Wash and rinse thoroughly. Repeat no often than every two weeks until noticable difference is seen and felt. Once a month is best. Repeat thereafter if condition returns. If this fails, ask hairdresser--they went to school for this!!!

I thought I had dry scalp and since nothing helped I finally broke down and went to a dermatologist. She said that even though my scalp was very scaly it actually was oily. I was skeptical but did what she told me to anyway. She said that I had to wash my hair every day (I was already doing that), and I had to rotate my shampoo...NOT bottle to bottle but day to day. She said that all the dandruff and dry scalp shamopoos had a different main ingredient and she suggested four of them: Head and Shoulders, T-Gel, Denorex, and Selsun Blue. Generics are fine, just be sure to check the labels against the name brands. I've been doing this for almost a year now and it seems to have solved the problem. I labeled the bottles 1,2,3, and 4 so that I don't get confused and I switch every day. Any questions you can e-mail me at: margarett@juno.com. Good luck!!!

:-) Margaret

My earlier post should have said one fourth cup of vinegar to three fourths cup of water...or even a cull cup of water...won't matter that much.

I had dry scalp once or at least I thought it was dry scalp. A friend told me to first try rinsing my hair with vinegar. It removes all built soap residue. This made a big difference for me hope it helps you. Oh and it doesn't leave a vinegar smell on your hair.

I use a cap full of "listerine" type mouthwash after I shampoo my hair. I leave it on my head/hair until I finish my bath and then rinse it out. This really works great and it also helps my acne.

I had dry scalp too (not dandruff, which is a more medical condition). I figured out that dry scalp occurs in drier climates and drier months (winter/fall). It's just your body (skin) asking for some moisture (like lotion for your skin). Nothing to be embarrassed about. What worked for me: SIMPLE. I heat 1/2 cup of olive oil in the microwave in a glass bowl. I rub this into my dry hair and scalp (get the scalp first--really get your fingers at the scalp, and at problem areas (where it itches most)). let this sit for a while (about 30min-1hour). Wash hair and dry as normal (you may want to shampoo 2x. Repeat if necessary--pretty cheap and very natural! Adds a nice shine to hair too!

The thing that works best is this:
1/2 cup of milk
1/2 cup of honey
1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil

Just mix it all up and apply it to your hair for a few hours (you can do this while you watch T.V., do HW, or whatever else that requires a few hours (2-3). Just make sure you don't wet your hair. Then, just wash with a moisterizing shampoo and conditioner. Once you are done, be careful to not bend and break your hair as you wash it. Dry it with a towel gently and let it air dry. You will notice that the itchiness is gone and that your hair is shinier and prettier than ever!!

I'm curious about the remedies using olive oil or vinegar and the effects on color treated hair. Has anyone had an adverse effect with their color after using one of these treatments?

Thanks! J

I have extremely dry scalp..I think its called Seborrheic Dermatitis...Anyhow, the best shampoo I have ever found is Paul Mitchell's Tea Tree Shampoo or Meleleuca Natural shampoo. They are both basically the same thing. You can even make your own, by taking some Tea Tree Oil and mixing a little in your shampoo each time you shampoo your hair. Maybe for a whole 18 oz bottle, you might use 2 tablespoons, so dont use a lot. You can buy it at Walmart in the vitamin & herb section. Trust me, you wont find anything that works better.

I HAD very dry flakes when I dried my hair. It looked like a winter wonderland on my shoulders and it would itch. I tried EVERYTHING. I bought PROACTIV shampoo and conditioner..this stuff is a MIRACLE. I also use proactiv for my face and this stuff is worth every penny.

my hair/scalp is saharrah desert dry. I'm a black american woman, 46, post menopausal for 3 years, paper thin hair at the crown, (my mama's hair was like this in her later years so this is obviously heredity), thick in the back and sides. I work out a lot and have to wash my hair more than normal for black women. This compounded with post menopause will be a challenge for anyone. My only hope is to probably see a dermatologist. Could someone offer some advice? If it is something I just have to live with, just keep it real.

Can olive oil which is used for preparing food be used as hair massage therapy for dry flaky scalp? If so, how long do you need to massage it in? After how many minutes do you wash it off?

By Neena