How I Keep My Broccoli Fresh

Vote for this contest contender!

I live alone and try my hardest not to waste food. I know what it's like to go without. I have limited space in a small fridge/freezer in my teeny tiny kitchen. I need to make my food last so I am not wasting any food. It's only been fairly recently I've been using this tip. I'm not sure where I saw the tip.

To keep my broccoli nice and fresh for the whole week, I pop my broccoli 'trees' in a jam jar filled with water. I do cut off the very end so it can sup on the water. This is working for me so I thought to share with you.

Source: I read about it somewhere

I do this for asparagus all the time. I'm now going to do it for broccoli as well. Thank you for posting.

Thanks - good idea - wonder about cauliflower?

Betty

I bet cauliflower would work great too. :)

It's great to store fresh herbs this way too. I always put my basil in water when I bring it home. I never thought about broccoli but I will have to try it!

Be careful to place the jar somewhere it will not tip over. I've had so many things tip over in my jam-packed fridge. You might use a square plastic container that is more stable than a jar; only the very bottoms of the broccoli or other veggie need to be in the water. Also, when you buy pre-cut florets, my prob is the tops of them getting moldy. The only way to prevent it is to parboil then freeze what you won't be using. I threw out almost an entire pkg yesterday, harumph.

i will certainly try this, not all vegetables are fresh these days and broccoli seems to go yellow.