Using Frozen Zucchini

Category Vegetables
Freezing zucchini will make it more watery on thawing. This doesn't necessary cause a problem when adding it to a recipe. This is a guide about using frozen zucchini.

I used frozen zucchini the other day and drained the liquid and my bread did not turn out the same as if it was fresh. It's dry inside and the outside doesn't even have the same look as when it does with the fresh. Did I maybe drain to much of the liquid off?

By C. L.

Answers

I grate zucchini to freeze for later use in breads/cakes etc. I always add the liquid from the package. If the liquid is figured into the original recipe, it should be used even if the liquid has separated from the squash. My recipes turn out perfectly with the added liquid.

How can I use frozen squash and zucchini from last year.

Anonymous

Thank you do much!!!!

My refrigerator accidently froze my zucchini. Now what?

By DB

Answers

With the price of food, I'd still use them. Since they'l be somewhat mushy when defrosted, puree them and put in a casserole, soup, smoothie, roast (gravy), spaghetti sauce, or where ever you can hide them. If you have too many for a meal, keep some frozen for the next meal.

Do I need to drain the juice from the frozen zucchini to make zucchini bread?

Answers

Yes. You may reserve this liquid and use it for the liquid called for in the recipe. If you just dump the zucchini in and add the liquid the recipe calls for, the batter will be too watery.

Drain zucchini either through cheesecloth or through a couple of coffee filters, put it over a ball in a colander with a cheese cloth or the coffee filter and put a half a teaspoon of salt in it and let it drain. It may take a couple of hours to drain and then dry a zucchini and you can save the liquid if you'd like to use another recipes as it doesn't have a lot of salt in it. Squeeze out all the liquid from the zucchini and use as directed in the recipe

Yes, drain it. You can save the liquid that comes off to add to veggie soup.

Definitely drain it or you will have too much moisture in the bread.

Last year I grew a ton of squash and zucchini. I decided to freeze a good amount of it. I cut it into slices and put in vacuum sealed bags. However, when I attempted to use the veggies, they were mushy. Why?

By Kim C

Answers

They got mushy because of their high water content. I freeze shredded zucchini and sliced yellow squash, and use them in recipes. You must thaw and drain them first. The texture will not be the same, but for zucchini bread or a squash casserole, they are still fine (and tasty!).

I found it better to freeze yellow squash whole. When ready to cook, thaw just till you can slice with a knife. It will still be partially frozen. I bread and fry. This seems to taste better.

I followed the directions on this site to steam-blanch my grated zucchini for freezing. Now it appears that I have about half the amount of fresh grated zucchini I started with.

Will this affect the amount of zucchini I use in my recipes? For example, if it calls for 1 cup should I consider the steam-blanched zucchini as 2 cups since it seems to have shrunk in size?

By Mary from Meridian, ID

Answers

Anonymous

1 cup will equal 1 cup in any cooking or baking recipe. Recipes are based on current volume.

Mary
Yes it is the same all you have to do is squeeze out the water and your good to go!
Aziriel

I froze so much of my zucchini over the summer. Does anyone have a good soup recipe I can use them in?

By JenU

I have quite a lot of shredded frozen zucchini. When I use the zucchini after it's been frozen and then defrosted for cakes or brownies, do I drain off the liquid? That liquid would have been in the zucchini in its natural state, as if I was using it fresh, but I am unsure if I need to drain it off before using in a recipe after it has been defrosted.

Thanks for any help on this.
Sandie from Missouri

Answers:

Using Frozen Zucchini

I had the same problem several years back. I didn't know what to do, either. After trying it both ways, I chose to drain it. The recipes just worked better after draining the water off the thawed zucchini. I didn't shred all my zucchini upon freezing, some I cut in rounds. I'd drain them and dip in beaten egg and dredge through a seasoned flour mix and fry. These turned out beautifully. (06/29/2005)

By badwater

Using Frozen Zucchini

Yes, drain it, or use the liquid as part of the liquid in the recipe. (06/29/2005)

Using Frozen Zucchini

I, too, was unsure of what to do with the juice, but I did drain it and it produces enough moisture when cooking with it. I used mine to make bread and a zucchini cake recipe that I have. Mmmmm good! (06/29/2005)

By teatimelady

RE How to freeze Zuccini

How do you freeze zucchini? Thanks.

Editor's Note:

Here is a ThriftyFun article on freezing zucchini:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf676463.tip.html (08/04/2008)

By Louise