Using Frozen Zucchini

Category Vegetables
Freezing zucchini will make it more watery on thawing. This doesn't necessary cause a problem when adding it to a recipe. This is a page about using frozen zucchini.

I used frozen zucchini the other day and drained the liquid and my bread did not turn out the same as if it was fresh. It's dry inside and the outside doesn't even have the same look as when it does with the fresh. Did I maybe drain to much of the liquid off?

By C. L.

Answers

I grate zucchini to freeze for later use in breads/cakes etc. I always add the liquid from the package. If the liquid is figured into the original recipe, it should be used even if the liquid has separated from the squash. My recipes turn out perfectly with the added liquid.

How can I use frozen squash and zucchini from last year.

Anonymous

Thank you do much!!!!

Use it in baking zucchini breads, zucchini pancakes/fritters, soups, in meatloaf.

My refrigerator accidently froze my zucchini. Now what?

By DB

Answers

With the price of food, I'd still use them. Since they'l be somewhat mushy when defrosted, puree them and put in a casserole, soup, smoothie, roast (gravy), spaghetti sauce, or where ever you can hide them.

If you have too many for a meal, keep some frozen for the next meal.

Do I need to drain the juice from the frozen zucchini to make zucchini bread?

Answers

Yes. You may reserve this liquid and use it for the liquid called for in the recipe. If you just dump the zucchini in and add the liquid the recipe calls for, the batter will be too watery.

Drain zucchini either through cheesecloth or through a couple of coffee filters, put it over a ball in a colander with a cheese cloth or the coffee filter and put a half a teaspoon of salt in it and let it drain. It may take a couple of hours to drain and then dry a zucchini and you can save the liquid if you'd like to use another recipes as it doesn't have a lot of salt in it. Squeeze out all the liquid from the zucchini and use as directed in the recipe

Yes, drain it. You can save the liquid that comes off to add to veggie soup.

Definitely drain it or you will have too much moisture in the bread.

If you freeze 2 cups of zucchini, is it still considered 2 cups after thawing when using it to bake bread due to the shrinkage in size?

Answers

Still will be 2 cups. Be sure to drain off the liquid.

When we used to garden, this was the method I used:

www.newlifeonahomestead.com/.../

The tricks are to use your food processor, freeze 1 recipe's worth per bag, use GOOD quality storage bags (one year it was icky as I used cheap bags--lesson learned), flatten them out to store in the freezer, then drain off the liquid when defrosting.

Defrost, drain, bake, eat! YUM!!

It is. Any liquid that drains off can be used in place of liquid in that or another recipe. You should drain it or the recipe will turn out watery.

it should be the same. I have often used frozen goods in baking and it ends up being the same

sometimes I don't drain the liquid but put it all in the blender to reconstitute it all again

Last year I grew a ton of squash and zucchini. I decided to freeze a good amount of it. I cut it into slices and put in vacuum sealed bags. However, when I attempted to use the veggies, they were mushy. Why?

By Kim C

Answers

They got mushy because of their high water content. I freeze shredded zucchini and sliced yellow squash, and use them in recipes. You must thaw and drain them first. The texture will not be the same, but for zucchini bread or a squash casserole, they are still fine (and tasty!).

I found it better to freeze yellow squash whole. When ready to cook, thaw just till you can slice with a knife. It will still be partially frozen. I bread and fry. This seems to taste better.

I never drain the frozen shredded zucchini after it has thawed. The water that is in the zucchini when you freeze it, separates during the thawing process. I tried draining it once and the zucchini bread turned out very dry.

I just dump the zucchini and the water that has separated from it into the mixing bowl and follow the recipe exactly. It always comes out perfect and moist.

I followed the directions on this site to steam-blanch my grated zucchini for freezing. Now it appears that I have about half the amount of fresh grated zucchini I started with.

Will this affect the amount of zucchini I use in my recipes? For example, if it calls for 1 cup should I consider the steam-blanched zucchini as 2 cups since it seems to have shrunk in size?

By Mary from Meridian, ID

Answers

1 cup will equal 1 cup in any cooking or baking recipe. Recipes are based on current volume.

Mary
Yes it is the same all you have to do is squeeze out the water and your good to go!

Aziriel

I froze so much of my zucchini over the summer. Does anyone have a good soup recipe I can use them in?

By JenU

Answers

Saute onions, garlic and celery. Put zucchini in the pot along with the vegetables. Add chicken or vegetable stock and seasonings of your choice, simmer an hour or two.

I have quite a lot of shredded frozen zucchini. When I use the zucchini after it's been frozen and then defrosted for cakes or brownies, do I drain off the liquid? That liquid would have been in the zucchini in its natural state, as if I was using it fresh, but I am unsure if I need to drain it off before using in a recipe after it has been defrosted.

Thanks for any help on this.
Sandie from Missouri

Answers:

Using Frozen Zucchini

I had the same problem several years back. I didn't know what to do, either. After trying it both ways, I chose to drain it. The recipes just worked better after draining the water off the thawed zucchini. I didn't shred all my zucchini upon freezing, some I cut in rounds. I'd drain them and dip in beaten egg and dredge through a seasoned flour mix and fry. These turned out beautifully. (06/29/2005)

By badwater

Using Frozen Zucchini

Yes, drain it, or use the liquid as part of the liquid in the recipe. (06/29/2005)

Using Frozen Zucchini

I, too, was unsure of what to do with the juice, but I did drain it and it produces enough moisture when cooking with it. I used mine to make bread and a zucchini cake recipe that I have. Mmmmm good! (06/29/2005)

By teatimelady

RE How to freeze Zuccini

How do you freeze zucchini? Thanks.

Editor's Note:

Here is a ThriftyFun article on freezing zucchini:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf676463.tip.html (08/04/2008)

By Louise

Food and Recipes Food Tips VegetablesJuly 10, 2013
😎
😷
📓
🌻
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf566797.tip.html