Eating Wild Onion

Harvest wild onions for use during the year. You can also buy green onions at the store and cut off the tops and plant the bulbs in your garden. They will continue to grow each year so long as you do not remove the bulb.

Can you eat wild onions?

By sheri from Atlanta, GA

Answers

Yes, clean them up, make sure they have no worms in them (like you would for normal onions) and eat them or cook with them.

Some can be a bit strong. I use mine when I grill outside also, gives a great added flavor to meat.

Answer this Question

2 More Questions

This time of year I have an area of my lawn that grows wild onions. The tops are very thin. Can these be dried and and added to cooking and therefore be eaten? Would this be the same as the ones you can purchase in stores? It would not take much to harvest a year's supply.

Thanks.

By Frank N

Answers

I have done it before - same with wild garlic. But make sure no chemical fertilizer or weed controllers have been used on them. The taste often can be stronger, so be aware before you use it. You may want smaller pieces and less of them in a dish.

Answer this Question

Food and Recipes Food Tips VegetablesJune 9, 2013
📓
🎂
😷
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Eating-Wild-Onion.html