Getting Rid of Onion Grass

Category Grassy Weeds
beautiful lawn
Most homeowners do not like wild flowers and grasses invading their lawn. Onion grass, a perennial wild onion common in the southeastern US, is no exception. This is a guide about getting rid of onion grass.

Any suggestions on getting rid of onion grass? I am on a limited income and maybe there are some home remedies that I could use. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hardiness Zone: 5b

By Alice from PA

Answers

I read on Yahoo that it's in the chive family and if not chemically treated it is tasty and can be eaten. I know this may sound crazy, but do you know anyone with a goat, because here in Seattle, there are people who rent out goats to clear brush, blackberries and grass (especially along our downtown freeways) & if the goats pull up the roots, this grass has a harder time coming back. There would surely be someone who would love free pasture for their goat for a month or so!

Here is what people who use chemicals say about removing onion-grass:

http://answers.  329192157AAvk7Hu

It it were me, I hate chemicals & would use vinegar in a garden sprayer or just plain boiling water. The nice thing about using Vinegar to control weeds if you have little money is, you can buy it with food stamps. But I would just as soon, keep the onion grass growing & eat it in my salads, scrambled eggs, stews & soup! (If it as never been sprayed with chemicals!)

Here in Oklahoma we eat the wild onions, They are used in stews, salads, even fried potato's. The taste is unbelievable!!