How to Clean Teflon

I have a relatively new Teflon coated baking pan. Hard as I try, I can't completely clean off the slight residue left by the cooked food. I'm afraid to use any abrasive cleanser that would scratch the coating. How should I get the residue off?

Thank you.
Nancy from Pennsylvania

Answers:

How to Clean Teflon

You can buy Teflon-safe scrubby sponges, but I use a scrubby that my sister crocheted out of that netting you buy by the yard in the fabric store. It doesn't scratch the Teflon, and it works as good as an S.O.S. pad! If you don't have anyone that crochets, you can get some of the netting and fold in half at least once and wrap it around a scrub brush and rubber band it on the top. You can also buy those plastic S.O.S. looking pads and those work okay. (06/15/2004)

By Tawnda

How to Clean Teflon

For Nancy in Pennsylvania trying to clean her Teflon. Use baking soda on a damp cloth and rub on the stains. This will take them off and not hurt the Teflon. (06/15/2004)

By Connie.

How to Clean Teflon

I would try straight white vinegar, too. It seems to work well on grease and residue in general. (06/16/2004)

By Anne H.

How to Clean Teflon

Use electric dish washing powder and soak overnight in the solution. Will clean up easy next day. (06/16/2004)

By Jacque

How to Clean Teflon

If you are using a cooking spray (such as PAM) it will leave a sticky residue that is almost impossible to get off. Instead use oil brushed on with a pastry brush. When I first heard this I thought it was dumb, but since I quit using the sprays I have not had to replace any Teflon Pans. Also, Teflon should never be used over anything higher than Medium heat. I don't buy the sprays at all any more. Amazing how much easier it is to wash, not just Teflon, but casserole dishes, pans, etc. Good luck (06/17/2004)

By Ladyvmh.

How to Clean Teflon

Thank you to Connie who said to use baking soda. It worked for me, woo hoo! (04/28/2008)

By kindsey