Teflon Coming Off a George Foreman Grill

The non-stick surface on George Foreman grills is coated in Teflon. Over time this Teflon coating can begin to peel off and may be an indication the grill is in need of replacement. This is a guide about Teflon coming off George Foreman grill.

My husband has scrubbed the grill and taken the non stick finish off. Is there anything I can do?
Thanks in advance.

Answers

Best Answer

If your grill plates are able to come off, I would suggest seasoning them with oil just as you would a cast iron cookware. Look on the internet for how to season your cookware. If they dont come off, then get some nonstick Teflon repair spray to recoat your grill. Mine come off, so I prefer to use oil so as to avoid the chemicals in Teflon. Good luck!

Can I recoat my original George Foreman grill on the bottom half with Teflon?

By Wedonna Saxon from Birmingham, AL

Answers

Best Answer

As it said in one of the archive posts, lay aluminum foil on it if you are concerned about the health issues.

Best Answer

For safety, find another one through free cycle, check out the yahoo groups for free cycle in your area. Once teflon has been scratched and is coming off it is a serious cancer risk, both from the particles and the fumes it gives off.

As soon, as any teflon surface is scratched or peels off I throw it out.

The black paint came off of part of the grill plate. It is still working fine. What difference does it make?

By D. M. from Lubbock, TX

I purchased the indoor/outdoor grill about 3 years ago. I have only washed it in hot water with dish detergent and have not used scouring pads of any kind. The Teflon is starting to come off.

I also own another Foreman grill, a large indoor one, that I have had for 5 years and cared for it the same manner and the Teflon is still in perfect condition. What is the problem with the indoor/outdoor one? It has never been outdoors, and now I am afraid to use it because of the coating coming off.

By George

Answers:

Teflon Coming Off George Foreman Grill

I've had a Foreman Indoor/Outdoor Grill for almost four years with no Teflon problem. Is it possible that you are not always using plastic instead of metal spatulas to turn the food items over with? Or is it possible that you simply use it more than the countertop indoor grill and it's simply wearing out and time to replace? If you use it quite a lot then three years is a long time. (01/11/2011)

By Ann

Teflon Coming Off George Foreman Grill

It seems to me that no one has tried to answer your original question of what could cause it. A manufacturer's defect, the coating did not properly bond and over time it came loose and fell off. Other than that someone (around my house the someone is called "Mr(s). Nobody", used a metal utensil and won't admit it.

In either case, use the foil as suggested or throw it away. (01/12/2011)

By Mary

I have a George Foreman grill. My grill coating is coming off and the food is sticking to it. I can not afford another one, but would like to know what I can do to it. I use it a lot, it is a more healthy way of cooking, since my husband's health problems. Thank you.

By Michelle from Auburn, IN

Answers:

Teflon Coming Off George Foreman Grill

There's teflon coating you can buy to reline the grill. Check with Home Depot or Lowe's to inquire. I don't know how healthy this new coating would be to cook on, nor do I know the brand name to buy. (12/27/2010)

By Myrna

Teflon Coming Off George Foreman Grill

From my understanding, once the teflon starts peeling off, you are supposed to discard the pan or whatever you are using. This is for health concerns. Also, remember that you are not supposed to use non stick spray coating on teflon. It diminishes its lifespan and can void a warranty also. (12/29/2010)

By Dee Sellers

By linda

Teflon Coming Off George Foreman Grill

I use aluminum foil on both upper and lower plates coated with cooking spray. Cook as usual. (12/29/2010)

By Paulette Gulakowski

Teflon Coming Off George Foreman Grill

Try putting foil on the grate, that has worked for us every time! Or lightly brush some oil on the grate before cooking! :) (12/29/2010)

By Hallie

Is it safe to cook on the Foreman grill, if the coating has come off?

By Donna Fortune from Hyattsville, MD

Answers:

Teflon Coming Off George Foreman Grill

I would contact the company and find out if they will replace this if it is fairly new. (07/05/2009)

By Meemaw

Teflon Coming Off George Foreman Grill

Non-stick cooking surfaces are dangerous to our health! Please read this link below. Manufacturers must stop making it by 2015! http://lowfatcooking.about.com/od/healthandfitness/a/nonstickpans.htm

In early 2006 the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) asked eight American companies, including DuPont, maker of Teflon-brand nonstick cookware, to work towards the elimination of PFOA "which they labeled a likely carcinogen"by 2015. PFOA has been shown to cause cancer, low birth weight and a suppressed immune system in laboratory animals exposed to high doses of PFOA.

Studies have shown the chemical to be present at low levels in the bloodstream of 9 out of 10 Americans, and in the blood of most newborns. And although the effects of PFOA at lower doses in humans are disputed, there does seem to be a link between PFOA and raised levels of cholesterol. More seriously, some people have claimed that PFOA exposure caused birth defects in babies born to mothers working at a Teflon plant in the early 1980s.

Best always, Jim in Jax (07/09/2009)

By Jim

We bought the George Foreman GR15BWI Grill in April of 2006. We love it. The Teflon coating is coming off the upper and lower plates big time. We are concerned about getting the Teflon in our food.