Repairing a Bread Machine

When your bread machine stops working properly, the question is whether it can be repaired or if you need to buy a new one. This is a guide about repairing a bread machine.

My wife borrowed our daughter's Oster 5838 bread machine and used it for rolls. She went to use it tonight for more and now the beater paddle won't turn. The shaft in the pan that drives the paddle will not turn. My wife also has an Oster machine and the shaft in the pan of her machine turns by hand. Is there a bearing or 2 in the pan that can be replaced? I see a snap ring on the bottom of the pan, so it looks like it can be taken apart. Are the bearings available?

Answers

Best Answer

The timing belt probably broke. I had a similar incident with a bread machine and this is what I did to fix it. Remove the pan and turn machine upside down. Unscrew the 4 rubber feet from the corners and use a screwdriver to remove the bottom screws. Take the metal bottom plate off and take your machine to your local auto parts store and "try on" timing belts until you find one that fits snugly. Put everything back together and you should be good for another 20 years.

My Sunbeam machine doesn't warm up, so it doesn't bake anymore. I used to make french bread with it numerous times. Now when I touch the top of it while going through the french bread cycle, it does not warm up as it used to when it was baking. Does anyone know if this is something repairable or will I need to get a new one?
Thanks

Answers

The heating element is probably shot. Bread machines are not as popular as they were, so if I were you I would get another one at a thrift shop or garage sale.

I also still use my old bread machine for french bread as it does a great job but I do expect it to quit on me anytime now.

Your machine may be past its usable stage so I would agree with the suggestion to look for another one. Thrift stores and church sales are really good places to look as not too many people are using these machines any more.

I have seen these for free on Freecycle and some time ago, on Craigslist but you can also place a free ad in either of these stating that you are looking for a bread machine. Just be careful and do not give out ANY personal information.

If you do not frequent thrift stores try looking for locations on the Internet and give them a call before making an extra trip. Goodwill generally always has several for sale - cheap.

In the world that exists today, it is often more expedient to just buy a new one, but in case you are a thrifty DIYer, you could, via differetnt online tutorials such as this one (https://youtu.be/qW50t3BGIeo) fix it yourself.

And you can buy parts on ebay - http://www.ebay  175778231/g.html

1 800 458-8407 is the number I found to your company so you can ask them directly :)

Its either the heating element or the thermostat. Either way, it is cheaper to get another one than to repair it.

I was given a automatic breadmaker. The machine is new, but never heated and never could make bread. I also failed to make bread and I have much interest in doing so if I can get help with my machine, if they can fix it.

I await your response.
Thanks.

By Elena F.

Answers

I cannot tell you how to fix your bread machine, but if it will go through the mix and knead cycles, you can make bread even if it doesn't heat. My bread machine works, but I have not used the heat cycles for years. I set it on the dough cycle.

As soon as it kneads the bread, I remove it from the machine and place it in a greased bowl, cover with a towel and let it rise until double in bulk. Then shape it into a loaf, place it in a greased loaf pan, let it rise again until just an inch or two above the edge of the pan. Bake it in a 375º oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the pan and wrap in a towel to cool.

I have a Sunbeam bread machine, and recently it sounds different when mixing. After the process there are bits of black rubber falling out of the bottom of the bread machine. What is this? How do I fix it without buying a new machine?
Thank you.

I use our Panasonic bread machine to mix and knead the dough. It has only been used on the dough cycle. Twice now it has stopped working before the yeast has been released into the dough. Can it be repaired or should I junk it?

Answers

It will cost you less to find one at a thrift shop or garage sale than to have it fixed.

Do you have the model number? You can reset them completely if you hold the power button down for several seconds.

I just got a used Welbilt bread machine. How do I eject the blade from the machine. The eject button does not eject the blade. Am I not doing something right?

Answers

In all the machines I had, you just lift the kneading blade out. Download a copy of your manual for free online and you can read it for yourself.

Im not sure what model you have. Here is a Welbilt manual.

http://www.brea  Y2K2-ABM1H70.pdf

You do not name your model number but here is a site that has free Welbilt manuals (download PDF) so you may find your model or email service is available.

http://www.bisc  .com/manuals.htm

During baking a basic bread, I noticed that my kneading blade keeps on spinning until 20 minutes before completion of the baking and would not stop for the bread to start it's rising cycle. I switched off the machine and turned it on after some minutes. It still continued spinning. I also observed that the body of the bread maker was warm as if it's baking. Please I need a fast solution.

I am turning 15 years old in 1 week and I have only just thought about my party! I have absolutely no idea what to do. I don't want to do something boring like bowling, laser tag, or a sleepover. I want to do something different, but not too expensive! I was thinking of inviting 10 - 20 friends, but still not too sure. Please help! Thanks.

I have an unused Silver Crest bread maker IAN 38170, which I picked up in a charity shop. When I turn it on to do the initial heat up suggested, it trips my RCD. It seems such a shame to bin it, does anyone know if there is a reset button or equivalent? I have been told by Lidl, where I have discovered it was originally sold, it is too old for them to repair and my local electrician says the part which has a minor fault cannot be reached.

Failing that would anyone like a gift of: baking mould; paddles; instruction book; recipe book. I just hate throwing things away and would be pleased if even some parts could be used.

The left hand knead blade does not turn. Is this right? If not, how do I fix it?

Answers

They should both turn. You can lubricate it with food grade mineral oil.

The belt might have slipped off the pulley

My all in one machine turns on and beeps, but does nothing else. I have tried holding the start button in longer. I also tried pressing button 2x but nothing. No turning sounds either. Any ideas before I pull it apart?

Answers

The Black and Decker website customer service can help you:

http://www.blac  6.1.1.utmcsr=aol|utmccn=(organic)|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=black%20%26%20decker%20website&__utmv=-&__utmk=211300566

I have a Toast Master bread machine, Model #1197s. When I hit the start button it will not start.

By Tony

Answers

Not sure on how to fix it but I see them all the time at the Goodwill and Salvation Army. Of course I live in a pretty good size city. Bread machines are one of those items people buy but very rarely ever use. That's why you can get them very cheap at the thrift stores. I always wait until they have the specials. I've bought them for as low as $1.29 just for a better pan (like new) and paddle. I bought it, took at the pan and paddle and donated the machine back. I have 3 machines now. Have to take one back one of these days.

My WelBilt bread machine has stopped working. When I turn it on the paddle moves just a bit and no more. What does it need?

By Martha H. from Selma, AL

Answers

Sometimes mine doesn't turn and there is dried dough under the paddle under the canister. Soak the shaft with a damp to wet cloth then take an old toothbrush and scrub to remove the crust.

I purchased a used older model Welbilt bread maker. The machine only cycles up to kneading. Is there a way to get the machine to cycle through rising, baking, and cooling?

By Winston

Answers

Unless you have arthritis in your hands or other problem with your hands, I wouldn't worry about it. That is all I use on my bread machine then I take it out, shape it, put in a bread pan, let is rise covered in an area free of drafts then bake in 350° oven for about 25-30 mins - it depends on your oven. I find 30 mins is better as it then gets browned a little more on sides of loaf. I do not like the machine baking it as it is too dense, & so small whereas doing it my way yields a much bigger better tasting loaf.

My Hitachi#HB B201 won't knead. Is it repairable?

By William

Answers

It could be a number of issues - my first guess would be a broken belt. You can check it by unscrewing the screws in the legs of the machine, then the other screws holding on the plate. After removing, look at the belt. If it is broken, sometimes you can find a replacement like I did on eBay. It may also have just come off. If so reattach with the nubs on the outside. It is also possible that your kneading blade (assuming you attached it!) is stuck in the pan. If so, soak it until it can be removed, then start a new recipe. Or it is possible the kneading blade shaft has lost lubrication and soaking the blade won't fix it.

You can google how to re-lubricate it. If your kneading blade is not moving at all-you can test it by starting a bread cycle with no ingredients and observing with a flashlight showing into the window-if not moving STOP the cycle because you will likely break the belt. All of this is assuming your circuitry in the machine is working.

How do I repair a Regal Kitchen Pro model K6725 bread machine? It worked fine for years, but now the spindle that is supposed to turn the spatula won't work. The motor sounds fine when turned on and the spatula can be manually turned with no problem, but won't turn with motor running. Is there a belt in the bottom of the unit that may have broken or come loose?

By Nancy from Maypearl, TX

Answers

My advice is to try to find someone who fixes small appliances...they may not advertise, but ask at your local thrift store if they know of someone.

When our bread machine spindle broke after a long time of use and I couldn't find a repairman, I put an ad in the local paper wanting an unwanted bread machine and got several calls (mentioned it to my brother who said he had one he got at a garage sale and had never used so I now have one that's a different brand but still can use the previous recipe book). So, ask around. Unless you know how to substitute parts in small appliances you'll probably be frustrated trying to repair your present one.

I have Philips 9040 bread maker.
It does not start kneading even it is cool and even after delay timing.

By anbeb

My bread pan keeps popping out of the cradle during the kneading time. Is there any way to fix this?

By Catherine

I have a new Hitachi HB-B101 bread machine that has been sitting for 2 years. I tried to use it today, but it will not knead.

By Laura

My Hitachi auto home bakery HB B201 stopped working. It stopped working after smelling like hot wires. There could have been a power surge. The control panel seems to work as it counts down the process, but no heat or motor moving. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?

By Blake