Inexpensive Chair Mat Ideas

I need a low cost solid chair mat for my home office, I can't afford the retail ones. Does anyone know if I could use Plexiglas or lumber? Help!

maryjoyful from Greenville, SC

Answers:

Inexpensive Chair Mat Ideas

I too have the same problem. If you get wood, it would have to be pretty thick, like at least 1/4".

Plywood might work, but I would get what is (or used to be called) lemonite (sp)?

It's basically wood chips mixed with a resin type substance, and then shaped into a mold. It's almost the best wood you can buy for flooring, even tho' most people want to use pressboard.
Pressboard is just sawdust compressed and sealed into a thin layer of resin. That is why, when you have a spill or a leak, the floor or shelf or cabinet starts to "swell".

The photo I sent is from Home Depot, and it's 7/16" by 4' by 8' for just 8.00

You might even be able to make two out of that. Or, you can make a big one and use the rest for something else.

Good luck! (11/15/2008)

By Poor But Proud

RE: Inexpensive Chair Mat Ideas

Inexpensive Chair Mat Ideas

Hey there. I just got home with a 4' x 8' sheet of the smooth plywood, and it is wonderful! It doesn't look the best, but I'm thinking I might buy some of those inexpensive peel and stick floor tiles to cover it with. I've been toying with this idea for over a year, fighting the cheapo plastic chair mat I had and finally got irritated enough to go get one, $14 @ Lowe's. My husband is getting a real kick out of making sure when asked what I got for Christmas from him this year, I lead the list off with "a piece of plywood". He thinks I'm the strangest wife ever! LOL. Anyway, good luck with your mats. I'm loving mine! (12/13/2008)

By Indy

Inexpensive Chair Mat Ideas
Purple Yoga Mat
Cleaning a Yoga Mat
Recycled wooden chair planter.
Making a Chair Planter
Office chair with lime green cushions.
Fixing a Squeaky Office Chair
🎄