Making an Office Chair Mat

Category Flooring
Your office chair may require a mat either to protect the flooring or because it does not roll on carpet. Either way you can make your own and not have to purchase an expensive one at the store. This is a guide about making an office chair mat.

My plastic chair mat was cracked and broken in several places and after a while, even duct tape didn't work. My husband had a great idea about using quarter inch plywood instead. He bought a 4 x 4 ft. piece for a lot less than the price of a new plastic mat, and this will last a lot longer. It's also smooth enough that I still don't have to wear shoes in the house. Why pay $50 plus when you can spend under $15 for plywood. You can stain or paint it if you like, but we haven't.

By Marti S. from Athens, GA

I love it I am thinking of doing the same thing.

You can also use tempered hardboard. It is also called floor underlayment and is cheaper than plywood.