Removing Self Stick Tiles

Category Flooring
Self stick tiles are easy to remove if you follow a couple of simple steps. This is a guide about removing self stick tiles.

How do I remove self stick tile flooring?

By Patricia9541 from NY

Answers

Best Answer

There's a tool that looks like a hoe only larger without the curve in the metal and is on a long wooden handle. Works perfectly for sliding under tile and breaks up easily. When the edge feels dull from overuse, just resharpen and the work goes smoothly.

Best Answer

Rent a wallpaper steamer from your local rental store. Set the steamer on the tile for about 10 seconds. Use a putty knife to get under a corner and then you can start pulling it up. You may have to reposition the steamer as you go to get the tile in one piece. But then the fun really begins trying to get the adhesive up.

I am having a heck of a time trying to remove self stick tiles on kitchen floor and ultimately removing the sticky stuff that they leave behind. I would really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

Linda from, New York City

Answers:

Removing Self Stick Tiles

We replaced our entire kitchen/dining room floor last spring and had to take up the old vinyl tiles first. As you are discovering, they are very difficult to pry up and extremely sticky. As far as I can tell, there is "no way" to remove the sticky stuff off the floor. What was recommended to us was to paint over the adhesive with primer (just regular wall paint) and then use a substance over that to level the entire floor.

After spending the better part of a weekend prying up tiles, we decided to simply replace the particleboard underflooring. It was much easier. You just have to make sure that you fill in any gaps and screw holes because anything that sticks up or dips will show through your new tile. Good luck. I've been so much happier with my new floor. (11/20/2007)

By jess

RE: Removing Self Stick Tiles

Removing Self Stick Tiles

My husband does this for a living and he uses a hair dryer, give it time. It will work. Good luck. (11/20/2007)

By la_hotsawce23

Removing Self Stick Tiles

My mother used a clothes iron. She covered the tile with a damp towel and ironed away. Then she took a wide putty knife and pried up the tiles before they could cool down. (11/22/2007)

By Juanita S.

Removing Self Stick Tiles

Be careful. If these are older tiles, they may contain asbestos! Anything produced before 1986 may contain asbestos. If released into your house, it will circulate around your home via central heat/air system posing a health hazard. (12/01/2007)

By Amanda M.