Information About Seven Sisters Roses

On my parents property are some of my great grandmother's roses called 7 sisters. Does anyone have any information or advice on these?

Hardiness Zone: 7b

Sarah from Chattanooga, TN

Lucky you. Here is what my research turned up on the "Seven Sisters" rose. Apparently it was quite popular in the mid 1800's and today there is quite a debate over what is considered the authentic version of the Seven Sisters rose. It originated in Asia (some sources say China, others Japan) and was brought to the United States via Europe in the early 1800s. It gets its name from the fact that when this fragrant, once-blooming rose flowers, its single clusters of small rose blossoms display "seven" different colors ranging from pale pink to mauve to red.

This rose is hardy to zones 5-9. It will tolerate poor soil and a bit of shade, but prefers a sunny, somewhat sheltered site and is somewhat susceptible to powdery mildew. In warmer climates Seven Sisters is a climbing rose. In cooler climates it tends to mound (10 feet wide and up to 15 feet high) and should be protected from the cold. These roses can be propagated from cuttings and are not widely available.

Hope this helps.

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at

Information About Seven Sisters Roses

31 years ago I brought one from KY to WI. It is very beautiful and very hardy. It loves to grow on hillsides or on a trellis. 7 roses on each branch with colors from pink to white. I have transplanted it several times, but I'm afraid it may not have survived my last transplant. I haven't seen any blooms this year. I have not given them much care other than sometimes fish cleanings get buried nearby. Good luck. I'll miss mine if it has died. (06/21/2006)

By garnetgirl9

Information About Seven Sisters Roses

Hope this helps you. You can find anything on just type in the search box what you are looking for. (06/21/2006)

By oreonut2000

Information About Seven Sisters Roses

On my property I have several varieties of the seven sister rose and my best advice is that you must really love it to have it growing on your property. In Florida it rapidly becomes invasive if not trimmed often. I left my great grandmother's rose alone all of one winter and had to spend a month removing all of the little roses from my front yard. The paved road in front of my house is the only thing that stopped it from crossing the road. I found it growing up against the road. I gave as many of the rose plants away that I could. (There are a couple of people not speaking to me anymore.)

If you want to grow some for yourself just lay one of the long shoots on the ground and secure with a couple of bricks and where ever there is a leaf node roots will form in a couple of weeks. These can be transplanted. Plant in a good rich soil. Water for about 2 weeks and then leave alone. And enjoy.

Kmcl59 from Pensacola, FL 32506 (06/22/2006)

By Kmcl59

Information About Seven Sisters Roses

I remember my grandmother talking about this rose. Here is a link for info from Antique Rose Emporium. I've got to get one. (06/22/2006)

By jlb

Information About Seven Sisters Roses
Pink rose with bumble bee.
Growing Roses in Hot Weather
Rose hips on rough wood background.
Growing Roses from Seed
Closeup of Lavender Rose
Starting Roses from Cuttings
Heart of a pink rose.
Growing Roses in a Tropical Climate