Ireland Frugal Travel Guide

Category Europe
Settled by Celtic tribes in the 4th century B.C. this beautiful country is known for its scenery, beaches, ancient monuments, castles, food, and more. This page has tips, photos and guides for traveling to Ireland.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photographs. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Tralee is a very pretty town in County Kerry, Ireland. This town hosts the annual international Rose of Tralee pageant. I came across this cottage right on the main street in town. It is so unusual with its thatched roof.

By Toni N.

Comment Like this photo? 28

How truly beautiful. I thought places like this only existed in pictures. I would love to live in a house such as this.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

I was driving in the mountains one day and found this delightful place. It has now become one of my favourite places in Ireland. It's in the middle of nowhere. I've really realized how lovely my country is and makes me proud to be Irish.

By Louise

Lake in Ireland

Comment Like this photo? 22

What a beautiful picture! I would love to visit someday! Thanks for sharing pictures of your country with us!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

We had gone there to Fota, in County Cork, Ireland that rainy day recently with our Grandsons to view the wild animal park. The rain had cleared and that beautiful rainbow formed, and the giraffes continued foraging in the grass for a bit of food.

They contrasted so beautifully with the green grass, blue sky and the colors of the rainbow. We shall always remember seeing and enjoying the Giraffes of Ireland. What a surprise it was to see them there in beautiful Ireland.

By Bobby33

Giraffes of Ireland With Rainbow Behind Them

Comment Like this photo? 12

Oh my goodness, this is such a neat shot! I love how the rainbow came out so clearly! Thank you so much for sharing this capture!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Lismore Castle Gardens

Lismore Castle, the birthplace of Robert Boyle, the celebrated scientist whose name lives in "Boyle's Law" was also once the home of Sir Walter Raleigh. It is now the Irish residence of the Duke and Duchess of Devonshire.

Fours Cats on the Outside of Window Sill

We had gone to family's farmhouse in Co. Cork Ireland for a recent visit and were sitting in one of their sitting rooms, when all of a sudden a family of cats jumped up on the outside window sill and peered in at us.

Barryscourt Castle in Ireland

Barryscourt Castle is located in County Cork between Cork City and Youghal. It is huge, and it sits near the highway, looming tall in the green Irish landscape.

View of Ballynatray Estate from Across the Water

We had gone down that day to the edge of the Blackwater River, County Cork, Ireland, with our Grandsons to view the ruins of Temple Michael, a very old church.