Itchy Dog Remedies

My Cocker Spaniel baby has been struggling with allergies and itchy skin for several years and it has been an uphill battle. We started with using a doggie antihistamine with a small amount of steroid called Temeril P that you get from the vet. It helped some but wasn't super successful and I don't like giving her a steroid. She gets staph infections from all the scratching so we have been periodically putting on antibiotics to get her skin healed up.

Here are some of the things that have been helpful to her:

• She gets Benadryl twice a day, 1 mg per pound of weight.

• Bathing twice a week. Bathing removes allergens from the hair and skin which helps tremendously to relieve the itching. A simple bath will give dogs a lot of relief.

I've recently discovered that a rinse in chamomile tea helps a lot to calm her skin and stop the itching for a while. Make two cups of chamomile tea, using about 6 tea bags to make it strong. Let it cool and pour it into a spray bottle, then add warm (not hot) water and spray your dog's skin all over to relieve the itch. I've also rinsed my girl with witch hazel which offers some relief as well, but the chamomile tea has been the best so far.

Another rinse that has helped is 1/2 cup green tea mixed with 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar and 1 cup purified water (You can boil for 20 minutes to purify). I double or triple the recipe to fill my spray bottle and spray my baby girl all over for some relief to her inflamed skin.

Apple cider vinegar solution (50% apple cider vinegar/50% water) to rinse or wash your dog in can restore the skin's acidity, kill off pathogens, and soothe the itch. You can also add a bit of apple cider vinegar to your dog's water to help from the inside as well.

• I feed her Stella and Chewy's salmon and cod meal mixers re-hydrated and mixed with her LID (limited ingredient diet) salmon and sweet potato kibble. Kibble is not very nutritious so it needs a boost. Stella and Chewy's is a wonderfully nutritious food, but it's expensive, so I have to mix it with a good quality kibble to keep the cost down. I am also giving her probiotics. Allergies can mean a lowered immune system and probiotics will boost the immune system. And I give her 1 tablespoon organic unrefined coconut oil in each meal. You should start small and work up to a tablespoon.
    She is doing better and it's such a relief to see her calm and not scratching!

Top Comment

I have a labordoole who was miserable. Found on Pinterest to put olive oil on his food. He weighs 85 pounds I put one tablespoon on his dry food, in one week he has almost completely quit scratching.

I've tried "EVERYTHING" Except what you've done. I am def going to try that! 1 Tablespoon Olive oil, on her food. OOh I Hope this works. I had to get a cone She was itching so bad. That's really making her "wanna scratch" I've tried the "mother apple " vinegar, baking soda the "witch hazel/alcohol/peroxide/water" mixture. I did Buy "human ear drops" with a Antibiotic, They are working for her ear infection, THANK GOD, Her ear inf was the beginning of the skin issues...YIKKS. I hope adding the Olive oil is the completion!

Thanks

Good for you for being such a determined detective. I raised a dog with many allergies. I finally figured it out and he lived on salmon and brown rice and supplements until he was 17, and he never scratched again. I have no doubt your dog is really grateful.

I give my dog coconut oil, he loves it and seems to help. Too many baths can dry out his skin and increase itching. A quick shower to rinse coat may be better. You can use coconut oil topically too.

I too use coconut oil and have seen a huge difference in my dogs skin condition and coat....really helps with itching too.

Do you use the coconut oil topically or in his food to eat?

Remedy for Dog's Itchy Skin
Remedy for Dog's Itchy Skin
Pets Dogs HealthSeptember 8, 2015
Dog With Itchy Ears
Remedies for a Dog With Itchy Ears
A dog wearing a cone on it's head to prevent it from itching.
Home Remedy for Dog's Eczema
child rubbing eyes
Remedies for Itchy Eyes
A cute beagle sitting on the floor.
My Beagle is Itching
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 21, 2017 at 11:33:46 AM on 10.0.0.173 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.