Smelly Black Tar Buildup in Dog's Ear

Category Health
One of the causes for a black smelly build up in your pet's ears can be a yeast or other type of infection. This is a guide about smelly black tar buildup in dog's ear.

My dog has black tar stuff in his ear and it smells, what is it?

Kim from Eugene, OR

Answers

Best Answer

My black lab gets that too. The vet says it's an ear infection. When she gets this I take her in to have her ears cleaned (I would clean them myself but she is too big and strong for me). If it still smells after that I have some antibiotic drops that help.

Best Answer

The black smelly stuff is a yeast infection. Dogs get this when they are having some type of allergic reaction (ears, nose, throat are all interconnected).

My 1 year old Golden is under veterinary care right now for this problem. The dog gets a medication in the ear twice a day. Also, we use a special ear wash twice a day to wash and help cleanse the area. That wash is an antifungal/antimicrobial solution prescribed by the vet. After we use the wash, we carefully wipe any of that gunky black stuff away. Once the ear has dried, we use the medicine which is rubbed into the ear.

Golden Retrievers are one of the dog breeds that are susceptible to this type of a yeast infection. Our vet told us that it'll probably re-occur off and on, so I would imagine this would be true for your dog, too.
If you check your dog's ears every couple of days, you should be able to control the problem before it becomes inflamed and uncomfortable for your dog.

Best Answer

This is either a yeast or bacterial infection & requires a trip to a vets office. You will need an ear cleanser & antibiotic.

Best Answer

Just got back from the vet. My plott hound has an ear infection, same signs black tarry looking stuff in his ears and head shaking. He was given an anti histamine shot, antibiotic pills, and drops for his ears. The vet also gave me a prescription ear cleaning solution to use once a week after we get the current problem solved.

My dog has smelly black tar in his ear. I would like to know what it is. How can I treat it?

By gypsygirl

Answers

Best Answer

My dog had that. It's an ear infection, probably a yeast infection. I got an ear solution from the vet that cleared it right up. Since then, I've seen lots of posts on ThriftyFun from people who've had success with homemade ear washes using vinegar or women's yeast infection treatment. You could probably try one of those. Just use the google search option in the orange bar at the top of the page and you should find them.

Best Answer

Go to a feed store, pet store, tractor supply, ect. Buy a cleansing ear wash. It's ear wax that can be caused by an infection, mites, or just getting dirty! I have a Bassett and I clean that out of hers every few days! If they are itching badly or the canal is red you might think about a vet. but since you didn't mention her shaking her head a lot or scratching doggie should be fine, but clean them often.
Good luck

Best Answer

Most likely a yeast ear infection. My female pugs has had it a few times. You should take her/him to the vet to get a medicated ear wash. Then after it is treated wash her ears every few days to keep it under control.

I have a 2 year old black Lab Golden Retriever mix and she has this stuff in her ears that is black and smells bad. I tried to clean them with this stuff called Clean Ears and also put 2 different kinds of drops in them. It works for a day or 2, but then the smell comes back. She also scratches them a lot and now the pink part is starting to turn scaly and red. Sometimes the insides of her ears bleed! I cannot afford to take her to the vet, as vets around here cost too much. What is wrong with her and what can I do for this to make it go away?

By Amanda

Answers

Best Answer

Golden Retrievers are one of the breeds prone to ear infections & the symptoms you mention are all symptoms. I personally would recommend you contact your vet to have the poor dog's ears checked before it gets too far out of hand.

Best Answer

It does sound like an ear infection, which can be from fungus or bacteria or both. If it is not treated effectively is can result in much pain for your dog, along with loss of hearing or inner ear damage leaving the dog in a state of constant dizzyness for the remainder of its life. At that point you would have no choice but to have your dog euthanized. You cannot afford not to treat this.

Look for a local Vet who will take payments, or has a fund for those who cannot afford treatment. There are several in my area. If you cannot find treatment, take your dog to a local rescue or shelter where it can get treatment. It is sad to not be able to afford a pet, but there are many in that situation these days. It is illegal not to treat a sick pet.

My neighbor's dog has had this smelly black looking tar like ear infection for about a year now. I don't know why she hasn't taken her to the vet yet. I was curious what it could be and if it can harm the dog?

By Nonname

Answers

I found these answers for you...I am sad that the neighbor doesn't take the dog to the vet.

http://answers. … 304165800AAr1enu

Blessings, Robyn

Sounds like this may be a yeast infection or a bacterial infection. If it is a bacterial infection there is a risk that it will go into the inner ear. If it does it can destroy the animals balance mechanism. This cannot be repaired and almost always requires euthanasia because the animal cannot stay upright. I would warn your neighbor that the consequences of ignoring this can be awful for the animal.

I should have mentioned that you should remind your neighbor that she can be legally prosecuted for not getting medical care for a sick animal.

All of you are real quick to criticize!!!! I understand her my dog has chronic ear problems and I spend about 700 a year!!!! If someone can help great and if not keep uYour comments to yourselves...

You are being nasty. Like anyone wants their pet to be in pain or ill.

Like kids, if you can't afford to take good care of them, then don't have them! People! smh 

Hey everyone .! We have enough hateful people. In this world .. please stop judging these ppl who don't have thousands of Dollars setting in there bank. It took me 3 years to save enough money to have my dogs mammography tumor removed . It was over $1000.00 . Thanks god the vet in Orland was willing to let me pay it out in payments. But for all of you who are blessed in life to run to vet everyone u feel the need we all can't do it . But that dam sure doesn't mean I don't love my baby anymore than you . It's a flipping money game. Instead of being so hateful maybe u could spread the love and send this women a debit card with like $50 on it. Or whatever u can spare. But please stop being so mean. My daughter worked in a shelter in Northern Calif where every tue was dukes day they would have to walk in and start killing dogs like 10-20 week . Simply because they couldn't afford to house and feed all the animals . How do I inject and kill a dog who is wagging there tail and licking you just wanting love . So if you want to be hateful and judge that's where u can start . Go adopt another pet. and if any shelter tell you they are a no kill shelter know this they might not be a no kill shelter in that building but I guarantee there's another building somewhere else where they are taking him to put them down .. So stop attacking this lady. BwcUs she can't afford 200 doaklars to walk in and out a vet with a script

Anonymous

True while understanding that I have to also say I have six dogs I don't have six dogs because I'm some greedy Glutton Pig I have six dogs because I've adopted them because I'm afraid of them being put down for no reason just cuz they exist. I can only afford minimal care which means I feed them and I do take them to the vet but anything that's several hundred dollars would probably result in having to put them down. I look for home remedies for lots of things I have one dog that is 11 years old another that is 8 years old another one that is 6 years old one that is 2 years old and two puppies.. I do the best that I can none of them have serious medical conditions.. all of them I have had since they were puppies..

so that at least does not say something about the way I raised them and the way that I take care of them I don't know what does I'm very cautious of what they do they do not go outside of the house they are all potty trained to use TT pads. I do so to make sure I limit the cases of my animals becoming severely ill or injured..

So I would have to say just because someone cannot afford to drop several hundred dollars on a dog per visit per case does not mean that they are a crappy person there's plenty of people with a big heart that is trying to save these animals from being euthanized..

Not everybody is bankrolling and if everyone had the mindset that you do there would be a lot more animals being put down if not everyone can afford vet care then all these animals would be dead all mine are rescues..

Hi there l feel the same my dog is still so happy she is wagging her tail and still eating but her legs arent working so well she just drags herself along most of the time. l cant put her down l know lm being selfish and if l take her to have her ear looked out l know what the outcome will be. yeah she has black tar in her ear and her wee smells, so think its an infection.

I have a Pom Chi (Pomeranian Chihuahua mix) That has black smelly tar stuff in both ears and I cannot afford the vet. Now before the judging starts, I would just like to say I wasn't looking to get a dog I know I can't afford one but I found this poor tiny puppy in a trash can. No, I wasn't digging in a trash can, I was walking by and heard it crying, there was no way was I going to just keep walking.

I found him in a fast food bag, along with food wrappers, he was dehydrated and very sickly. He looked about 6 weeks old. I got him his shots and healthy again, I even brush his teeth. He's now 2 years old and this is the first health issue I have had with him. If anybody knows a way I can fix his ear infection, please tell me. He cries when I touch his ear and it's all packed deep down in his ear, black tar stuff. I tried ACV and water and it didn't do any good. I clean his ears regularly and dry them so I don't know how this occurred, I can't stand seeing him like this.

Answers

It's probably a fungal infection that needs topical antibiotics

You could try a few drops of hydrogen peroxide in each ear for a couple days. If it doesn't get better and the dog is uncomfortable, call the vet.