Dog Has Black Smelly Tar in His Ear

My dog has smelly black tar in his ear. I would like to know what it is. How can I treat it?

By gypsygirl

Best Answer

My dog had that. It's an ear infection, probably a yeast infection. I got an ear solution from the vet that cleared it right up. Since then, I've seen lots of posts on ThriftyFun from people who've had success with homemade ear washes using vinegar or women's yeast infection treatment. You could probably try one of those. Just use the google search option in the orange bar at the top of the page and you should find them.

Best Answer

Go to a feed store, pet store, tractor supply, ect. Buy a cleansing ear wash. It's ear wax that can be caused by an infection, mites, or just getting dirty! I have a Bassett and I clean that out of hers every few days! If they are itching badly or the canal is red you might think about a vet. but since you didn't mention her shaking her head a lot or scratching doggie should be fine, but clean them often.

Good luck

Best Answer

Most likely a yeast ear infection. My female pugs has had it a few times. You should take her/him to the vet to get a medicated ear wash. Then after it is treated wash her ears every few days to keep it under control.

i know this is old but for anyone reading this years later...Try zymox ..the one wuth hydrocortizone
..cheap..highly rated...amazon.com

My black 100 lb Lab has this problem about every 3 months it is My vet has treated it with a syringe full of a waxy substance and identifys it as BNT??? Numberous times. I beg her to give me a prescription for it as i am very capable to do this treatment since i vet my own horses...she will not and requires me to make visits to her to do the treatment herself at a cost.

I have invested over $500.+ dollars to her. Oh Yes....I do treat is regularly with a vet ear wash call Epi-Otic. That is somewhat a help until it goes out of control again. I am up in arms to find a treatment to do myself.

Are you using the hydrocortisone after you've washed the dogs ears and removed the black tar stuff?

My dog has the same problem,I'm treating it with green tea tree oil. You mix 5 drops green tea oil and a table spoon olive oil. Clean ear with peroxide and water mix about half and half warmed.Then put 4 to 5 drops of the green tea tree mix. I do it twice a day for 7 days clears it up.

Hi can I use perioxide in the dogs ear

The only professional person with qualification to answer this question is your Veterinarian. You don't say how long your dog has had this problem without treatment.

Pets Dogs HealthAugust 28, 2011
📓
🌻
🎂