Removing Tar from Aluminum Siding

Category Stains
If you have put a tar roof on a building with aluminum siding, the tar get splattered in places you don't want very easily. Removing the tar from your aluminum siding can be a big chore. This is a guide about removing tar from aluminum siding.

How do I remove tar from aluminum siding?

Linda from Crown Point, IN

My grandma got tar on her car when she drove on the street that was being re-tarred. Sounds silly, but she went inside the house, got a jar of peanut butter, smeared it on her car, and wiped it clean. That was 26 years ago when cars were made of steel and not fiberglass. Should work on aluminum siding.

By Mary Ann (Guest Post)

My husbands job is comercial roofing...tar...We always have spots here and there. I use any cleaner I can find a Dollar General that is Orange based. It works well. Or Goo Be Gone is a name barnd product.

By Bart (Guest Post)

Gasoline works, too, but it will melt the paint a bit if you rub too much

By Steve (Guest Post)

You might try a little baking soda using a rag slightly moistened first with water then with a few drops of vegetable oil. I just cleaned up a small quantity of tar from our new (and white!) laminate floor and white refrigerator handle. It came off incredibly easily and left no stain or mark.

What if it is dried tar / blacktop sealer ?

Got tar on my new house siding: Help!

Removing Tar from House Siding

Mineral spirits should help remove the tar. I've seen it suggested for both wood and vinyl siding. You can buy it at the hardware store. (08/27/2004)

By ThriftyFun

Removing Tar from House Siding

WD-40 might work, too. (08/30/2004)

By Lisa Trudeau

Removing Tar from House Siding

They have tar removers at auto stores that works great. It will work on siding. (08/30/2004)

By Jill

Removing Tar from House Siding

Always do a test spot. if your not careful your cleaner could melt the siding or fade the colouring of it. So test it first on a small area before you go crazy.
Butter works for disolving tar as well. Is very safe on siding. Just make sure you get it all off or a dog or cat may start to lick your house.

By Surfdudeandy