Removing Hand Sanitizer Stains on Wood

Category Stains
The alcohol content found in hand sanitizers can leave awful spots on your wood furniture. Thankfully, there are solutions to help remove or minimize any damage done. This is a guide about removing hand sanitizer stains on wood.

I used Purell hand santitizer to remove permanent marker stains from an oak table (I have used Purell before without problems). The marker stains are gone but it left a cloudy white stain on the table. I have tried baking soda, toothpaste and paper towels with a iron. Please help!

Susan from IA

Answers

Sounds like the alcohol in the purell ate into the finish thats on the wood. The only solution that I know of is to sand down and refinish.

Try rubbing the spot with white toothpaste. Let set for about 20 minutes, then buff with a soft cloth. This method has worked to remove white cloudy spots from my dining room table caused by sitting a hot plate directly on the table. It can't hurt.

Try infusing some tea bags in a bowl of hot water- til it's as close to the colour of the table as possible- allow to cool. Then with a cloth-dip into the tea solution and rub over the mark. It MAY blend the mark in with the rest of the table that way.

If you are unsure to begin with try a test piece under the table where no one can see.
I am told this is a good way to cover up stains on wood.
Good luck

Monique x
Somerset. UK

it certainly sounds like something, probably the alcohol in the purell removed the stain from the wood. You can purchase pens of wood stain at paint stores that are meant to be used to correct such problems,if it is solid wood not plastic veneer over fiberboard.

Also if you can match the color, try permanent marker and wax used for wood, but the stain touchup marker pen would be better, I think.

By Carol (Guest Post)

try mayonaise. Let stand a short while then wipe off with a clean cloth. It worked on a water stain for me.

Didn't have any mayonnaise, so thought I'd try some "Miracle" Whip just for grins. It worked! And we also learned a valuable lesson, keep the Purell high on the shelf, away from the grandkids.

Just use baby wipes

A kid chewed on it and I put water and hand sanitizer on it. How do I repair it? It has great sentimental value as my grandfather suffered greatly with cancer and this is all I have left of his. BTW someone told me it was olive wood before it got stained, and it was stained everywhere as I immersed it.

Please help!

Answers

I would get a wax wood crayon (available at hardware stores) in a matching color and put it on to cover it up.

According to wonderhowto.com Jack Ray says "Do not use any cleaner or rubbing alcohol. It can stain or damage permanently. To remove the stain you will need 2 small/large clothes and some mayonnaise. Squirt the mayonnaise on the surface and rub into area. Use 2nd cloth to rub off mayonnaise. The surface dhould be smooth and may be a little sticky from the stain. Repeat all the steps again..." I hope that helps:)

You can try this site...www.hunker.com/.../how-to-remove-hand-sanitizer-stains...

This is so bizarre, but reading this brought back a childhood memory of an uncle who smoked cigars and had ashes everywhere...

I can still smell that smell!! You can buy cheap cigars at discount tobacco shops. Around me they are called Puffs (love the name).

Hope it works for you!!

A hand sanitizer bottle left a stain on a wood end table. What can I do?

By CA Human

Answers

Method wood polish spray leave for few mins wipe.

Just did mine

We stayed at my sister's they had a beautiful wood floor. Which they recently redid. They have a new puppy. My daughter wiped up pee and put hand sanitizer to sanitize the area.

Caused a huge white area. I was freaking out. I used some floor polish and it worked. Just spray floor polish let sit a bit and work in. You may have to do a coat or two but, honestly saved me from a family feud. Lol

How do I remove a white ring created by a hand sanitizer bottle on my wooden table top?

By Lo from Lancaster, PA

Answers

Preheat the iron to a low heat/warming setting with NO steam.
Place wax paper over the are with the white mark
Cover the wax paper with a towel.
Place the iron over the area for a few seconds a time. Keep the iron moving to avoid creating a new heat mark.
Repeat with a fresh piece of waxed paper until the mark is removed. Good luck.