Removing Stains on Countertops

Category Stains
Spills and general use can leave stains on your countertops. This is a guide about removing stains on countertops.

Dampen the counter top and sprinkle some good ol' baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) on the stain, just enough to cover it. With a little elbow grease, the stain will vanish.

Source: Baking soda is great for so many things - from being a natural tooth paste, to natural deodorant, and stainless steel sink shiner!

A paste made with baking soda and water will take Kool-Aid stains out of counters.

By Tara

To remove a stain such as food color or fruit stains from a light-colored cabinet top, try putting some dishwasher soap, preferably gel, on a wet cloth and lay it on the stain. The stain should disappear within a few minutes.

By Peanut Patty

This is a guide about repairing marks on porcelain countertop. A porcelain finish can get marked and scratched. Removing or covering these blemishes can help it look better.

Porcelain Countertop

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I used to decorate cakes for fun and always ended up with red food coloring on my counter tops. Then I discovered it could be removed by making a paste of cream of tartar and water. Place a small amount of the cream of tartar and water mixture on the stain, and then rub with a clean wet dishcloth. If it doesn't come right off, leave the cream of tartar paste on the stain longer before washing off with a clean wet dishcloth.

Lacquer thinner will easily remove stains from Formica countertops. Be careful not to get it on the wood edge as it will also remove the finish on the edge.

For wine stains, I just mix a molding plaster and then bleach it to form paste. Apply the paste on the stain and leave for 30 minutes then rinse with water. For organic stains like juice, tea and coffee, I use 3 drops of ammonia and 12 percent of hydrogen peroxide.

For oil stains, mix 1 cup of flour and a mild washing soap form into paste by adding water, then apply this paste on the stain, cover with plastic and leave it overnight. In the morning, remove the plastic cover and remove the paste, then wipe your countertop with a moist cloth and the stain will be gone.

You can keep your counter stain resistant if you seal your counter regularly.

By creese15

How do I get coffee stains off of my white kitchen counter tops? It's worse than Kool-aid.

By Trudy from PA

Answers

Have you tried Barkeeper's Friend? It's like Comet or Ajax powder cleanser. I buy it at the grocery store, but it's also sold at Walmart and Target. It's milder than other abrasives.

Good luck! I love white, but sometimes it's so hard to maintain.

I have green formica counter tops in my kitchen and they get stained with coffee and tea. I use clorox to remove the stains and it has not harmed the finish nor the color.

I used a kitchen mat to dry wet utensils, but the kitchen mat has left a dark print on the white counter top. How do I remove the dark stain? Please help.

By PB

Answers

Best Answer

The marks are from the dyes in the towel. You may want to try scrubbing the area with a moist sponge and baking soda. Then, if there are any marks left, bleach area and let set. Depending on the dye, it should come up.

Does anyone know how to remove a coffee stain from a countertop? I have tried bleach, baking soda (it was old so I might need a new box), and oxyclean. Nothing has worked! Please help!

Becky

Answers

By guest client (Guest Post)

That's a tough one. What I normally use is just soapy water. If that didn't work I would rub a little baking soda paste directly on the stain. Then if that didn't work I would work a little bleach into it. If you have already tried that, I am stumped.

use a mr. clean magic eraser, they really do work, my father gets coffee all over the counter and these things get the stain up , no problem

By guest client (Guest Post)

Lay a plain white napkin or paper towel, folded, directly over the stained area of the counter. Pour on hydrogen peroxide to completely dampen the paper. Let it stand for 15 minutes. That should do the trick! Once the stain is off, wipe the counter with soapy water.

Becki in Logansport, Indiana

By guest client (Guest Post)

Ajax or comet (same thing basically) Pour some of the powder on the counter and get a wet rag or sponge and go over the spot until the stain comes off. I dont drink coffee, but when I spill KoolAid nothing takes it off better than comet! PS. GET THE AJAX OR COMET WITH BLEACH IN IT. IT works like a charm for koolaid. The best thing is, it is CHEAP and it works. I have tried baking soda and bleach before too, with no luck. I think the granules in the ajax/comet are just enough to take the grime and stain off with out scratching the counter.

By guest client (Guest Post)

coffee takes out coffee. put a little coffee on the spot on the counter and wipe.

Trying using oven cleaner from the dollar store. Spray on white counter top and leave it sit for a minute and wipe and rinse with a wet rag. It will leave your counter top white again

how bout out of carpet

I had great luck removing coffee stains with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It seems to get stains off surfaces where nothing else has worked.
Susan from ThriftyFun

I use liquid Cascade dishwasher soap mixed with hot water. let sit for 15 minutes and coffee and tea stains are gone. This also works well for ice tea pitchers that are stained.

I spilled some coffee on someones carpet at their beachhouse! I really need to know how to get it out! Please help!

How to get a coffee stain off of clothing?

I just tried the Cascade dishwasher liquid tip I found on here and it worked great on both counter and carpet! Thanks!

Any Carpet stains you can use shaving cream and a little elbow action. Takes it all out.

how about coffee stains on sheetrock wall? thanks in advance.

I have a stain on my kitchen counter top that I am unable to remove. I think it is coffee or rust. I am sure the counter top is either Formica or a laminate.

By Marlene from Phoenix, AZ

What can I use to remove stains on kitchen counter laminate? I've tried Oxy Clean paste, Clorox, Windex, Grease Lightening, baking soda paste, etc.

By Deborah from Vero Beach, FL

Answers

I have used a Magic Eraser on stubborn stains (like beet juice stains) on a light countertop. It was like magic.

Hi Deborah, I had the same problem and I purchased Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It erases every stain I have used it on including counter-tops, walls,floors, soap scum in the shower, faucets, even leather athletic shoes, and very much more. I love this product. Make sure that you buy the eraser either with the scrubber or just the sponge, I buy both. hope this helps. Cathy West Palm Beach, FL

Anonymous

It's not mentioned what kind of stains but I've removed even Sharpie Permanent Marker marks and even super glue with ease from my laminate counters using 'acetone' nail polish remover that I already had on hand.

How do I remove stains on Correll countertops and sinks? I have tried 1/4 cup bleach and filled up the sink with water. I have used Comet and Lime Away. I can a lot and the stain is from that.

By REB

I have a hard top -counter but porous top in the kitchen. A few years have gone by and there are stains on it, near the sink and I have attempted to remove them and so far nothing has changed. It is white in color so everything shows on it. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to remove them. I have used everything I can think of. Thanks so much!

I have a small (quarter sized) burn mark and 1.5 inch crack on my white countertop. Any suggestions to either replace the counter cheaply or repair it without any noticeable difference? I've already tried Magic Eraser, vinegar, baking soda and other cleaning products. The stain has faded, but still is somewhat visible and crack is still visible.

Thanks!

By Jackie

I have pink Joss stick stains on white laminate. The sticks were laying on the counter behind sink at GD's residence and got wet, leaving behind bright pink staining. What is the best advice for removal of the stain, please?

By Carole M.

I have coffee stains on my white kitchen countertop that will not go away. I have tried so many things on it, but am afraid to try anything industrial as I live in an apt.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

By Kat from PA

What can I use to remove toothpaste stains from a laminate bathroom counter top? Thus far I've used peroxide, bleach, various bathroom cleansers, ammonia, and CLR. Any one with experience with this stain problem? Thank you.

How do I remove stains from the counter? I have tried vinegar and Ajax. I am not exactly sure what type of food stain it is.

By Marge B

I have a grey shellacked countertop. It has a white cloudy discoloration on top from water. How can I fix it?

By Natasha

How do you remove scorch stains from kitchen counter tops?

By Joy

I recently cleaned my oven racks on my counter top on top of paper. Now I have marks from the paper on the counter. I have removed the colour, but still can see the marks from where the paper was sitting. Any ideas? The counter top is stone.

By Jodie

Can I use baking soda to clean non white counters? I have black dye stains which ran from cupcake paper on my dark brownish kitchen bench. How should I clean it? baking soda, vinegar, nail polish remover?

By Kelle

We've recently purchased our first home. Already we've put stains on our nice, white kitchen countertops (made of laminate?). I don't know much about cleaners, but have tried Fantastic with Bleach and Windex. The stains didn't even fade at all. I'm not sure what the stains are from, but since they're circular, I'm guessing they're from perhaps tea or coffee in cups. Help! Thanks much, Libby

Answers:

Stains on White Kitchen Countertops

Use baking soda or BonAmi cleaner which does not scratch. (06/14/2004)

By Toni K.

Stains on White Kitchen Countertops

I have had the same problem and I keep a small bottle of 50% Clorox and 50%water just for things like that. It works on stains and mold on the counter tops.
Good luck. (06/15/2004)

By kap

Stains on White Kitchen Countertops

I'd contact the manufacturer of the worktop if you know who it is and ask their advice. Also, if this is a newly built house, (as opposed to a just "new" to you house), I would contact the builder, tell them the worktops are not practical/made of a suitable material for their function and ask for them to be replaced. After all, do you really want to look forward to removing stains from these worktops for the next 10-20 years?

Regards.

(06/15/2004)

By Jo

Stains on White Kitchen Countertops

I always am able to remove any kind of stains on my countertop with a little bit of "Soft Scrub" with bleach. (06/15/2004)

By Pam

Stains on White Kitchen Countertops

I use a little Comet and water. The stains come out immediately. (06/15/2004)

By Kim

Stains on White Kitchen Countertops

Have you tried the new Mr. Clean erasers? They are amazing! I had the same problem and they got the stain out with no effort at all. They work on everything. Even old sneakers. (06/16/2004)

By ga158

Stains on White Kitchen Countertops

What worked on old stains on my old white countertops was a paste of Oxiclean. Take a sponge and get it wet with hot water, pour a little Oxiclean on the stain and set the sponge down on it, scrub a little and in a few minutes the stains were gone.

Susan from ThriftyFun (07/07/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Stains on White Kitchen Countertops

Bar Keepers Friend works like magic and does not scratch laminate. Don't replace your countertops, any surface will require cleaning. (09/27/2005)

By guest

Stains on White Kitchen Countertops

You'll be surprised of my amazing discovery! Just like all of you, every Clorox product ruined my white countertop. I accidentally found the cure. Pour a liquid silver cleaner on the countertop (the cream form doesn't work), and it will become white as snow within seconds.
Cool?

You need to use the kind in which you are supposed to dip your silver jewelry and it works like a miracle. I've done it for 2 years now every week, and it has not damaged my countertop at all. So you can go for it with no problem.
Have fun! (03/22/2006)

By sophy

Stains on White Kitchen Countertops

A solution of 75% Cascade crystals and 25% Clorox diluted in hot water will remove just about any stain without altering the color. I even use it to get out stubborn stains from my white laundry, mostly cottons. It doesn't work well on anything "stretchy" or silky. Somehow, the Cascade reduces the severity of the bleach while it keeps it's cleaning power. (03/19/2007)

By love2decorate

Stains on White Kitchen Countertops

After I read your posts, I ran right out and got Tarn-X and it worked instantly. I had a feeling my yellow counter top was the result of too much Clorox, but wasn't convinced till I read the posts. Thank heavens for the internet and your valuable posts. (12/05/2007)

By Pat

Stains on White Kitchen Countertops

Toothpaste with baking soda also works very well. (02/29/2008)

By Carol

Stains on Kitchen Countertops

I have a red countertop and used a Mr. Clean eraser and ruined the top. It took the shiny finish off and now it stains badly. (03/26/2008)

By jlbhba99

Stains on White Kitchen Countertops

Just a note to everyone. I used Tarn-x to remove a yellow bleach stain and it worked wonderfully but six months later, I sat a pan in the same spot and it made a stain that could not be removed with the same method. I am still trying. (07/07/2008)

By kaj6918

Stains on White Kitchen Countertops

I have white laminate countertops and the best thing I have used is Grease Lightning. It removed a rust stain from my counter and Kool-Aid stains too! (10/23/2008)

By Sharon

Stains on White Kitchen Countertops

Hi there all, go back to basics! I had a horrible yellow bleach stain. I used good old fashioned bi carb (baking soda) and vinegar, and left it to sit, then scrubbed, put more on, then left it and scrubbed again. It worked a wonder, no gloves, no dangerous chemicals, no stress! (10/27/2008)

By Jade from Australia