Painting a Laminate Counter Top

Category Kitchen
Painting your old laminate countertops gives your kitchen a brand new look without the expense of buying new countertops! On this page you will find step by step instructions and photos. This is a guide about painting a laminate counter top.

Tips

Share a TipCheck out these tips or, if you have something to add to this guide, click to share your own tip!

I just finished painting my kitchen counter top with acrylic latex paint and polyurethene. It was a lot of fun and saved lots of money. I spent a total of $150.00!

Anyone can do it. Here's a picture before I finished the last section. So you can see the color I previously had. I might mention, my counterops were in good shape when I started this project. The hardest part is applying the poly coats afterwards.

I got the granite look I was wanting. Now I can save up for the real thing down the road.

I might mention, that you treat painted counter tops as you would any laminate top. Nothing hot, and you don't cut on it.

It will chip easier if you have kids around. All you'd have to do is sand it, paint it again and then the poly.

Directions:

1. Clean with TSP.

2. Prime.

3. Apply accent colors one at a time and let dry.

4. I used water based poly /glossy. We lightly sanded in between, cleaned with damp rag. Dry and put on a layer of (non yellowing) poly until we got the look we wanted. Just make sure your counter is free of defects first.

My cabinets are Aristokraft Spice cabinets/ Oak with Spring Green Paint Color for those of you not able to find a paint color. This green is a blue hue, no yellow what so ever. I love it.

I might mention, I googled "refinishing laminate counter tops" to get the idea.

By Jean from Robards, KY

Well, I did it! I started with an upstairs bath that no one would have to see if it turned out really ugly, but I am just tickled. I couldn't have done it without you guys. Thanks for all the advice. For those still contemplating it, get the torch! I let someone talk me out of it, big mistake. I nearly hyperventilated trying to get the bubbles out, finally resorted to my hairdryer, then decided to give up, let it dry and sand them out before the next coat.

I used an epoxy paint from Home Depot on the sink. It's hard to work with, but worth the end result. A couple tips:

• Envirotex will spread quite easily with a square sponge paint edger tool and is perfect for those pesky backsplashes. Just check periodically to correct any sagging until it begins to set.

• I used a dense sponge roller with a tinted primer for the base which worked beautifully, and smaller disposable sponge paint sticks for tight spaces. I would recommend getting the round sponge wheel for corners.

• The fellow who posted advice about using stains instead of paint was right. I used gel stain for my darkest color, thinking depth again, and wished I had used ALL stain instead of paint. Some is opaque, some is more transparent depending on the application, just like granite. You can be much more creative and end up with more natural results. You don't even need the glitter when using this.

Before and after photo:

I want to say that this site is awesome! I don't know how to get more than one pic on at a time so I will do this in parts so you can see it all. I did 2 bathroom vanities and my kitchen.

1. I started by cleaning with vinegar and then lightly sanding all my work.
  2. I raised up my sinks because I didn't want a "lip" around them that you get even using tape. This was done by unscrewing from underneath then using two 2 x 4s cut a little higher that the distance from the floor to the bottom of the sink and wedging them in. It didn't interfere with the plumbing at all and I could put the paint and sealer right under the sink.
  3. I used an oil based primer (Kiltz) after cleaning and lightly sanding.
  4. When it dried I put a water based coat of paint on the whole thing then took 3 colors plus metallic gold craft paints with a sea sponge cut into different sizes and started patting away.
  5. When I got what I wanted I used water based varethane for floors to seal it. I did 5 coats lightly sanding in between each application. It can be re-coated after 2 hours of drying time.

I waited a week before I sat anything on them but I don't think I would have had to. It says on the can that "normal walking" can be done after 3 days. Remember, you can put water based stuff over oil but you cannot put oil based over water. You will get bad results if you do.

The pics I have don't really show how pretty they actually are. They shine beautifully and I am using them like I would normal counters. My friends love them and want me to do theirs!

Let me begin by saying that all these posts were the most helpful information I found or my project. I've lived in my house for 13 years with country blue countertops that I've hated since day one. Not having the funds to renovate and not wanting to paint the kitchen a color that went with country blue, I left the kitchen the color it was when we bought the house.

Recently a decorator/friend suggested we paint the countertops black with the Fusion spray paint and top with polycrylic. She did this for us and the change was inspiring. No more blue! However, this treatment was very fragile. The polycrylic clouded when damp and the paint scratched easily. After reading all of this discussion I decided to use the Envirotex Lite product. I rolled on satin Krylon black latex, waited one day, mixed acrylic art paint, metallic pewter and metallic black, dibbled on with a large art brush, and immediately sponged over heavily with the metallic black again. I topped it all off with black "fairy dust" glitter.

I had about 35 sq ft of counter, used a 1/2 quart of Krylon latex, 1 (2 oz) bottle of pewter and 2 (2 oz) bottles of black acrylic and less than 2 tubes of fairy dust. We used a total of 4 (32 oz) Envirotex kits. I gathered 40% coupons from Michaels and Hobby Lobby and kept the cost of all materials under $100.

I waited one more day and prepared to apply the Envirotex. I was a bit intimidated. I re-read all the posting, re-read the directions and made my husband read them too. It wasn't nearly as bad as I had anticipated! Working with another person and having a plan made it pretty easy. A few pointers that I believe were helpful:

The end results are stunning! I am beginning to use the countertops and find them very durable. I am being very cautious, but believe the end result will be durable in the long run. No scratches yet and this is much better than the polycrylic finish. I'm not sure why I waited 13 years to take care of a color I hated. I encourage anyone reading this to GO FOR IT! Thanks for all the great advice!

Well I finally got done with my project thanks to all your post on this page. I was so leery of doing this but it came out awesome. I did need help at the end with the second coat of Enviro though.

Painted laminate countertop.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 1

Make your counter tops look like they are granite by painting them with a natural stone looking pattern. Painting a faux granite counter top can be an easy way to improve the look of your counters.

Painting a Faux Granite Counter Top

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Creating the look of granite on your countertop using paints can be a real challenge. This is a guide about painting counter tops to look like granite.

Painting Counter Tops to Look Like Granite

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

You can refurbish your laminate countertops for under $100. Learn how to get new countertops in this guide.

Painted laminate countertop.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about best sealant for painted laminate countertops. Whether epoxy or poly urethane is going to be the best sealant for the countertop finish you want, may best be determined with a test.

Painted Laminate Countertops

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I need some help. I painted my countertops with granite spray and used a water based poly on top (4 coats). That was 3 days ago. They feel dry to the touch, but are soft enough to leave marks.

What can I do to fix this problem? There is also a few milky streaks when you look just right in the light. Anyone know why? I waited the 2 hours in between that it suggested. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

By Janmarie from IA

Answers

For future reference, when painting standard counter tops you should use a product specifically for that purpose. Here's a link to a DIYer that used Rustoleum's counter top paint:

http://christen … countertops.html

I have no advice on the current problem though.

If your granite spray is an oil-based paint, that could be the problem. Putting a water-based paint over an oil-based paint can cause bubbling and peeling. If your paint store has knowledgeable employees, they might know how to solve your problem.

I painted my laminate countertops. I did my 14 foot long countertops and they came out good. I started doing my 4 foot counter and disaster hit. I believe i did the same technique as the other countertops. I sand then apply the minwax polycrylic and it keeps crackling. I let it dry for 24 hours then sand down again and the same thing happens when I apply another coat. I have repeated these steps 4 times already.

I believe the coats of clear coat were not fully dry because there was very hot and humid weather even though to the touch it was dry. My question is should I leave the countertop alone for about a week then sand it down then apply the polycrylic or should I sand it down now then wait a week to apply the polycrylic? I'm figuring maybe I could give it some time for the under coats to get hard.

Please help!

I need to repaint my counter top in the bathroom. It was painted with melamine paint. Do I have to use melamine again or is there some other kind of paint I can use instead of melamine? Also, my bathroom cabinets were painted with melamine, but I don't want to use melamine this time. Any suggestions appreciated.

By Karen

I just bought a house and will need to paint and replace all the floor coverings. My problem is that the kitchen has pink countertops which are in good condition. The cabinets are white. What do I do to make the pink work in the kitchen and how do I make it flow with the rest of the house. I am not sure what color of floor coverings to put in the house.

Answers

Using decor that blends the colors of your countertops and other parts of the kitchen/house will help. Curtains with nice designs and detailing and colored bottles are wonderful for this.

Consider using burgundy with the pink to add another color.. This will give it a traditional look.. For a more contemporary look use beige or brown with your pink countertops.. I say, if it looks like a mistake do it again..

Have you considered black. Black and white squares would match for a kind of retro look. I agree that for a contemporary look that beige or brown would be a good choice. The accent pieces that you use will bring all of the colors together. Have fun.

You could go really frilly with the curtains and I thinks silver appliances set on the counters would set off the pink.

The color chocolate goes well with pink.

You don't have to live with the pink countertops. Home Depot Or Lowes has special paint to redo countertops and make them any color you want. I would repaint them myself or hire a home improvement service that does refacing of countertops or repainting them. Pink is too retro for me. Jill

I agree that if you keep the pink, it will need a retro setting. Black and white checkerboard would be "neat-o" and "swell". It's a classic kitchen flooring and would go with any future renovations, too.i

We bought our home 1 year ago, and it also has light pink countertops in the kitchen with dark brown cabinets. What I ended up doing is painting the walls gray. Surprisingly, the pink countertops seemed to receed and no one notices them anymore! The other two colors I have in my kitchen are beige appliances, and white table and chairs. It works together in a soft, unobtrusive way.

Lucky you. I got pea-greeen counter tops in my mobile home, Yuck! I cant afford to replace them right now. Pink does not sound too bad. Could this be a case of "the counter top is always greener on the other side"?

I just finished painting my kitchen/dining room. I also have a pink counter top. I have a snack bar too. I have lots of oak,cabinets and floors. I put up a chair rail, painted it white. The top of the chair rail in dining room is yellow ( Ace Hardware Chilled Lemonade.)This color goes in kitchen over the cabinets. The bottom of the chair rail is blue ( soft denim) It is a jewel toned blue. My door is Gray. Windows are timed in white too. I must say it is beautiful!I wouldn't have put these colors together til I picked the blue for a bedroom. I'm very pleased.

I painted my laminate countertops. I sanded and primed. I painted with acrylic paint sponged to look like marble. It looked great. I painted with Minwax spar urethane clear gloss. There is one problem - the marblizing colors are coming off. What am I doing wrong? I am letting it dry completely between coats. Please help.

Thanks

My bathroom vanity needs refinishing and I do not wish to replace it. It has been in place for 20 years and has gotten rather discolored.

By Sue M.

I am truly working on budget here. I have read the many posts as to how to paint counter tops and am excited. But, I also have an issue with the counter top in that it was not cut straight where the two pieces join at the corner. There is a gap along the length from the back to the front where the two pieces are supposed to join. Anyone have any suggestions on how to fill this gap?

By gailbie

Can you use the counter tops that are painted the same way as the original Formica top? Or are there restrictions?

By Maria from Miramar, FL

Answers

It all depends. I have sold paint for 10 years and have yet to find a "paint" that is great for counter top durability. Scratches tend to show very easily on a smooth painted surface, so your counters will need to be painted quite often to maintain their appearance.

One product I have found that works great, is a granite counter top paint. The variation in color hides scratches and blemishes in the counter.
I got mine at http://www.granitepaint.com
Let me know if you have any other questions, I would be glad to help.
If you do end up just painting the counters, make sure you use an enamel finish, either satin or gloss in sheen.

I did something so easy & it looks amazing. Everyone that sees it thinks stone or granite. Its called Paper illusions. Its wallpaper. I'm going to post pictures. & I would love to help with any tips you need!

The easy answer is that paint simply is not as durable as laminate. That is why people have laminate counters. Some of the suggestions from others may be a better alternative to just painting the laminate. Regular paint will scratch very easily.

Can anyone tell me how to not get brush strokes in my poly coat when painting laminate counter tops?

Sharen

Answers

When I painted my laminate cupboard doors I was advised to buy a small sized roller specifically designed for enamel/gloss paints, it did a great job and brush strokes were not a concern. An added bonus was that the job was done much more quickly.

First, do the edges with a high end natural brush. Next, roll-on paint with a regular roller, then re-roll the wet area with a special, high-quality low-nap roller for "finishing". To bad you can take it off & spray it!

I've found using a foam painting brush eliminates streaking. Give it try. Jan, UK

Is it possible to (step by step and what products) paint my laminate counter tops to look like dark brown quartz?

Lisa Russ from Florence, SC

Answers

If I were you I'd call Home Depot or Lowe's and ask them before you attempt the project.

Do a search on here in home inprovement...there are many people who have done it and offer some great suggestions.

You can do this with acrylic paint. You must seal it and understand,seal,seal,seal it. I painted a kitchen bar and it still looks fine. However,we only ate at it.When your dealing with surfaces that get wet it's only a matter of time before you must redo it or replace it.

Has anyone tried to upgrade 5 inch glazed countertops?

By Marilyn D

I see lots of posts here and elsewhere on the web about painting laminate, but none of the photos I've seen show laminate counters with the metal edges, and metal joints between the counter tops and backsplashes.

Has anyone done this? If so, what kind of preparation did you do on the metal? We're thinking of using Giani granite but haven't made up our minds yet. The counter is probably 50 years old, and a sad faded turquoise, so almost anything would be an improvement.

Thanks in advance!

By soup-lady

How do I faux paint laminate counter tops?

By FURCAR2 from Colonial Heights, VA

Answers

Ask at your home improvement store. I have seen it done on the Home and Garden Channel, but never paid any attention to it because I live in rental and have no plans to buy a house at my age.

I have a laminate countertop I want to paint. But it has a metal strip along the front and on the inside edge. What do I do with this metal strip when I paint the countertop?

By literarytrvlr from Cincinnati, OH

Answers

Anonymous

Put painter's tape on the strip so you won't get paint on it. If you are thinking about painting the strip, you have to use a certain type of paint for metal and sand the strip first.

Do you have some different ways to paint my kitchen laminate countertop? I would love some ideas to choose from as far as various looks. I would like to update my kitchen and make it look more modern. Thanks.

I was searching for a durable finish for a laminate kitchen countertop that was texture sprayed. We took on this project of painting the counter top after removing the other paint finish that was thinning and had bare spots. (This was previously done by a professional 6 years ago.) We did not plan on this it was a spur of the moment improvement. Prepared surface was not cleaned after paint was scrapped off with Awesome's Oxygen Power and Mr. Muscle. So, I see that the surface should have been primed with an oil based primer after cleaning with a degreaser. There are some bubbles on the surface where some of the softened paint was. How do I salvage the project, so I can finish with the clear coats of Envirotex Lite?

By Ernie

Decided to give painting my bathroom laminate vanity a try. I've seen so many that look simply beautiful and not like paint at all. Doesn't seem to be working that way for me. I wanted a more soft, blended look and for some reason cannot achieve the desired result.

What I'm wondering is if putting several layers of a polyacrylic will soften it any. Any feedback is greatly appreciated, thanks!

I've used acrylic crafters paint on my laminate counters, is there a wait time before beginning to apply several layers of polyacrylic? (I know it should be at least two hours between coats of the quick drying poly.)

By camy

How do you not use your kitchen counters while the paint dries and the sealer cures? I've been wanting to paint my kitchen counter tops for a few months now, but I don't see how it's possible not to use them while the sealer cures. How do you make dinner? Do dishes? Some of the best sealers take 2 or 3 days to cure. I was thinking about doing each section separately (I have one on each side of the fridge and the one by the stove and sink), but when I get to the part by the sink/stove, what do I do? Also, there's a seam coming up on that section, how do I fill the seam and glue it back down?

By Lisa S.

Can you faux finish the laminated back splash in the same technique as the counter tops?

By Tara

I painted my bathroom counter with melamine paint. It looks nice, but not a granite look. Could I put that look over my melamine and how would you do it? Please help in directing me step by step in doing this. Thanks in advance. My bathroom countertop is in a light grey, my walls are dark grey. I would like some colour on the countertop. I like browns and beiges also could this go with it.

By Bonnie

I am looking for paint which I can paint on top my kitchen work top. It is not shiny, but has a matte finish to it. Please help me find something. I don't want to spend too much money on kitchen worktops.

By sheetal mistry from Leicester

How do you paint countertop laminate to look like stone?

By Margy from Winnipeg, Canada

Answers

There are certain paints for this. Ask at your home improvement store.

I need to paint my kitchen counters. What should I use?

By Patricia

Answers

Home Depot has a Counter Resurfacing Kit. I would try that.

I, on a whim, painted my laminate kitchen countertop without any real prep; it is now chipping. Will applying Minwax polycrylic help? If not, is there anything I can do or am I doomed?

By Patty

I painted my laminate kitchen countertops using a Giani paint kit. They look fantastic, but I wanted more protection, plus a glossier look, than the poly top coat that came with the kit. I did apply two top coats of the Giani poly, and because I wanted them really glossy, I used Envirotex Lite, a 2 part hypoxy. I'm guessing the reason they turned out all wavey on top, is because I did not sand off the Giani poly coat first. What a mess! Do I have to sand all the way down to the paint, or do I need to take the paint off too, and start over. Then what is a good, really glossy topcoat to use?

By Bkay

Years ago I had painted counter tops in an apartment. I'm not sure what process they used, but if I ever laid a sack of bread or any printed plastic on them it would leave the imprint...never to be removed again. Have any of you experienced this? I'm interested in painting mine, but am fearful of not being able to use them normally.

By Shree L.

Load More