Painting a Faux Granite Counter Top

Category Bathroom
Make your counter tops look like they are granite by painting them with a natural stone looking pattern. Painting a faux granite counter top can be an easy way to improve the look of your counters.

I wanted to share my personal experience and tips for any of you considering doing this. I researched this project thoroughly before I actually took the plunge, and in my opinion, this method produced the best results.

For inspiration, search online for granite colors. Print out 3 or 4 that you like.

Directions:

Remove everything off the counter. Turn off water and remove faucet and sink. You can tape around the sink, but I highly recommend taking it completely out. You will get much better results when you apply the Envirotex. Clean/scrub counter with soap and water. Dry well with paper towels. Wipe down counter with rubbing alcohol and paper towels. Let dry. Mask VERY WELL. Cover anything you don't want paint on. The Envirotex will NOT come off once it's dry. This includes cabinets and walls. Trust me - the more time you take with this step, the better! Wipe down counter again with rubbing alcohol and let dry.

With the Rust-Oleum paint, sanding or priming is not required. The primer is built into the paint. When applying the Rust-Oleum paint, use the sponge rollers for big areas and paint brushes for corners and back splashes. Work fast, it sets up quick. Make sure you're in a ventilated area or turn the fan on if you're in a bathroom. This stuff is potent! Let dry (about an hour, maybe 2). If you prefer another coat, you can. I did. I felt better about 2 coats. Let dry.

To create the faux granite look you want, pour only the color of craft paint you're going to be using at the time onto a paper plate. They dry fast. You will have to keep adding paint to the plate. Use a new paper plate for each color. Start however you want. I did light to dark then back to light.

You will have to play with the colors to get the look you want. I used the sea sponges mostly. I used the feather duster for the middle color and the chunked out brushes for whenever I needed a different looking texture. Use the smaller art brushes or stencil brushes for the corners and tight spaces. If you mess up on an area or don't like how it looks, don't panic. The craft paint is water base. Wet a paper towel and rub until it comes off. The Rust-Oleum paint will not come off. Nifty!

Once you have the look you want, let it set up for about 20-30 minutes. Come back and rub your hand over it. You will be able to tell it's dry. If it feels a little rough, it's because the craft paint tends to make "peaks" where you have used the sea sponges. I used a 240 grit sand paper and VERY lightly sanded over the counter top. Then I wiped it down with damp paper towels. Make sure all the grit from the sand paper is off. Let it dry.

If you're painting a large area, get someone to help you with the Envirotex. This varnish is not forgiving of mistakes. You will need to work quickly. You will need someone to mix and pour it while someone spreads. The directions that are included in the box tells you everything you need to know. Read them front to back. Twice. Pay attention to the edges and do what the box says. If your fan is still on at this point - turn it off. Close off the vent to whatever room you're in and close the door if you can. This helps with the drying time and keeps stuff from floating in the air and landing on top of the wet varnish. I had a few "cooties" in my final outcome. Cat/dog hair and/or dust. If you're a glutton for punishment, once it's dry, you can lightly sand the counter top and reapply the Envirotex again. I left the master bathroom how it dried, but I redid the middle bathroom and I wish I would have left it alone. It's all up to you.

Once everything is dry (24-72 hours, depending on the temperature in your house), you can start unmasking. The tape that has any dried Envirotex will have to be cut with a razor blade. You can remove the masking tape once its semi set up if you like. I didn't want to risk dragging or pulling the varnish. The razor blade actually wasn't that bad.

I have included before, during, and after pictures. I also did the counter in the built in cabinets in my hallway. You can do virtually any surface you want!

By Michelle from Bakersfield, CA

I just finished creating faux granite countertops and I'm so thrilled! It was easy and the total cost for each countertop was about $70. Here's what I did:

1. Using an orbit sander I lightly sanded the laminate countertop.
  2. I then wiped it dry and applied a coat of primer.
  3. Once dry I applied a water based base coat. In my case I used Behr Adobe Straw which is what my walls are painted.
  4. When they were dry I sprayed Krylon "Make it Stone" in the 2nd to last dark grey. The color wasn't named.
  5. Let it dry for 5 - 7 hours then spray it again and let it dry 5 - 7 hours. It will now look and feel a bit like concrete.
  6. Lastly I mixed and applied Rustoleum Stone Effects Step 3 clear coat for kitchen countertops. It goes on like warm honey and is goopy and gooey but read the instructions and follow them and it will work out great.
  7. Make sure you have previously totally encased your cabinets below and floor in plastic. You don't want this stuff dripping on them. I didn't do this the first time and ended up having to sand and repaint the cabinets.
  8. Use a 4 inch foam brush to push and move around the clear coat just as if you were icing a cake. Slide it over the edge and use another one to catch the drips and push them up on the side.
  9. Smooth the clear coat well then leave it alone. Don't touch or do anything to it for 24 hours. Then do a 2nd coat. Any mistakes or bubbles will just be covered over. I messed up on my second coat so ended up doing a 3rd. It looks beautiful and is super thick and durable.

Rustoleum says the clear coat is heat resistant but I wouldn't put a hot pot on it. I don't think it would hurt it but it might go cloudy. Just use a hot pad. If you're in a situation like me where my countertops were shot it's worth a try. Even if it only lasts a couple years. It's worth it.

Top Comment

I started to do this project, after sanding (with a sander) I gave up. The dust and mess is unbelievable. Covering the formica with luan is much cleaner and easier, and then go from there with numerous options!

I am getting ready to faux-granite paint my counter. I have blue painter's tape around the walls and sink. My questions is: how well will the tape come off after the Envirotex cures? Is there a trick? I've been looking online, but can't find anything.

By LeAnn

Answers

Best Answer

Usually, you carefully remove the tape while the paint is still wet. When it dries, some paint can peel off with the tape, the tape can lift the paint, or the paint will seal the tape on the wall. Call the company, I've always used plain masking tape, not blue painter's tape.

I would like to know more about faux granite counter tops.

By Gi from Baton Rouge, LA

Answers:

Painting Laminate Countertops

This is a granite paint that comes in a kit. I did the Bombay black but this is a picture of the Sicilian Sand Color.

You can get more information on it from here.

http://www.westsidedecoratingcenter.com/component/content/article/36-paint/69-giani.html (12/14/2009)

By Mike

RE: Painting Laminate Countertops

Painting Laminate Countertops

Gi, Honestly, what I did was spend several days reading down over all the posts having to do with anything re: painting laminate countertops. Also, much info. can be gained by doing a search on the web. If you read down over all the posts, you will find references to helpful websites. My island has been done for about 2 months now, and I've received so many compliments. Overall, I'm glad I did it, but I probably will not do the rest of my counter tops. Although most people probably wouldn't notice, it (envirotex finish) scratches easily, and I wouldn't say it's as durable as my laminate. But it does look beautiful. (12/15/2009)

By shannon