Painting Countertops

Category Kitchen
One DIY project that can save you money and brighten up a kitchen or bath is painting the old countertops. This is a guide about painting countertops.

Painting your old laminate countertops gives your kitchen a brand new look without the expense of buying new countertops! Look below for first hand experience and step by step instructions for painting laminate countertops.

Read More... Was this helpful? 8

This is a guide about crackle painting countertops. The crackle painting technique allows the base coat to show through a crazed top coat finish giving an aged cracked paint effect.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about painting a Formica countertop. Painting your old, outdated Formica countertops is a great way to update your kitchen.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

How do I paint laminate kitchen countertops? Thank you.

By Shelley from Green Bay, WI

Answers

Best Answer

Ask at your local home improvement store. There is paint to do this. I saw a program on the Home and Garden channel one day a few years ago, showing how to paint counter tops so that they looked like granite. It was a few day long process, but they looked real when the job was done.

How do you paint laminate countertops?

By Denise from Evanston, IL

Answers:

Painting Countertops

I would go to the experts. The people at Sherwin Williams, Home Depot, or Lowes and ask the folks that have the product and the answers. Then I would be sure to read the directions. (12/31/2010)

By foxrun41

How do I paint countertops?

By 1027Debbie from Nova Scotia

Answers:

Painting Countertops

Water based Paint: First you'll need to totally clean the countertops with straight rubbing alcohol & paper towels, then prime them with a high adhesive primer like "Zinsser 123" or "Gripper". Use a soft foam roller (not a brush or a regular paint roller). Next paint with 2 coats of Latex or even better, use 100% acrylic paint (also sold at the paint store), then lastly apply 5-7 coats of water based varathane sealer.

Oil Based Paint: Clean counter with alcohol then use Melamine paint (1 or 2 coats) then finish with 2 or 3 coats of oil based varathane. Be sure to keep windows open while you're painting & for 3 or 4 days afterward until the smell goes away. Melamine paint is the best and you'll need no primer if you use it, it's made to paint over Melamine. Melamine is that shiny white or black laminate that's over particleboard in shelves & some furniture, so Melamine paint is very sticky paint. This way is much stronger, but smelly & a hassle. Melamine paint costs more, but you'll save money not having to prime.

The best design is one that's not all one color (like fake marbling) or splattering. This way flaws don't show as easily!

*Always use a cutting board because some paints can be toxic. (05/19/2009)

By Cyinda

I want to paint my counter tops in the bathrooms and kitchen. I don't want to have to worry about putting my flat iron or toaster oven on them. Does anyone know a heat/alcohol/water resistant finish I can put on counters?

By Meggiet from Washington, PA

Answers:

Painting Countertops

About a year or so ago, I saw a decorating program on, I think, HGTV and they were showing how to paint counter tops to look like granite. I thought it was kind of neat, but didn't pay a lot of attention, because I rent an apartment. There were several steps to the procedure. I don't know if you went to their web site, if you could find anything on it or not. (05/08/2009)

By redhatterb

I plan to paint my countertops, and the question is what do you do with the metal on the seams? What would be the best colors? I want to do the granite look.

By Writer10 from Birmingham, AL

Answers:

Painting Countertops

I know of two manufacturers of paint specially for painting counter tops (MDF and Melamine) and such like - Plasti-Kote Projekt paints and Ronseal One Coat Melamine and MDF Paint.

Check out the manufacturers websites for your country - they usually have guides and how tos showing how to use the paints. (04/17/2009)

By alloydog