Paint Color Advice for a Kitchen With Cherry Cabinets

Category Kitchen
This is a guide about kitchen paint advice with cherry cabinets. Choosing the right wall paint color with dark wood cabinets can make a big difference in the look of your kitchen.

I recently purchased a new home with beautiful tones of brown sandstone countertops and rust red porcelain tiling. All of the cupboards are finished with a pinky beige color. They are referred to as cherry cabinets, but I see them as pinkish.

My question is what color would be best to paint the kitchen walls.The window and door trims are dark walnut. The color they are painted now is a light mauve and it is too pinky for me.

I'd like to contrast the pinky cupboard with maybe a brown color for the walls. I want a darker color, because the kitchen is so huge with 18 foot ceilings I'd like to make it appear smaller, cozier, and warmer.

By Drumcorps77 from Endicott,NY

Answers

Best Answer

Oh wow gorgeous kitchen. The color of the cabinets is amazing. I think a medium brown, possibly a mocha color, would look lovely. Brown goes perfect with pastels like pink, seafoam, and baby blue.

Best Answer

I would use a warm mushroom color (such as young colt, it is a Benjamin Moore color) It plays off the cabinets and it also works well with the stainless steel. Good luck!

Best Answer

I love the cabinets too. My neighbor has some in the same color. She painted hers a medium copper color. Pick up some samples and see what they look like. You will be surprised how well it works together because when you think about it, copper has some reddish/pink undertones. I think you could go for a darker color because of all the white in your room. Whatever you do, post a pic of your finished product. We would love to see!

Best Answer

Love your kitchen! I am going to rock the boat with my suggestion: I'd look at some samples of a medium sage green. It is a modern neutral these days and still warm enough to pull out the flooring and cabinet colors. And you know, you can buy small amounts of paint sample colors to try out too!

I would like some ideas on what wall paint color to use a in kitchen with cherry cabinets and Santa Cecilia dark granite countertop.

By Shirley from TX

Answers

Best Answer

I'd stick with light/soft colors for the walls and you could go with a soft gray, white or a light shade of warm color with red in it that compliments your cherry cabinets.

Best Answer

A white the shade of cream, a very pale creamy yellow. Possibly a very light warm gray. Very pale creamy yellowish green-very light. These are just suggestions. Ask yourself how you want to feel in the kitchen. Warm colors: cozy. Cool: calm.

My kitchen cabinets are red cherry. What color should I paint my walls?

Answers

Best Answer

I like the idea of the aqua. Certain greens would work. It all depends on the proportions. With the tile and cabinet colors, the aqua or related blues or a green could work. You need a small amount of a strong color, deep cheery, dark brown, or an intense version of the wall color. Picture frames, picture mats, curtains, floor mats, etc. that add an accent.

We need help with our kitchen paint color. We have stainless steel with cherry cabinets, cherry hardwood floors and light brownish counters. We cannot decide which wall color will best fit the kitchen. Please advise!

Answers

Best Answer

I'm not a fan of dark walls ever but I'm a great fan of sage green. Check some magazines. You'll see lots of green with cherry (if you care about "style" which I do NOT!). There are some many variations of green but I think a medium to light sage green would be perfect.

My kitchen cabinets are cherry with green countertops, light beige ceramic floor tiles, and white walls. It is open to the living room and dining area, which are colored thyme green (medium green). What would be a complementary color for my kitchen walls?

Answers

I think a nice yellow would work well here, as well as a different shade of green, maybe a mint green. These colours will complement very well what is happening here.

Go to the paint store. Tell them what paint you have on your wall now. There will be chips there to tell you what other greens are in the same family. Choose one of them.

Please help with kitchen color! We can't decide. We have bamboo floors and cherry cabinets. What would you suggest for a kitchen color?

Answers

I have the same combination with the addition granite countertops that have neat pale orangish "petrified wood" embedded in black granite. We painted the backsplash wall kind of a pumpkin creme color and it is beautiful.

You didn't say what color your countertops or appliances were but I was thinking a light golden oak color or a light sage green.

Our kitchen walls are now painted pale yellow, the cabinets are cherry, white tiled floors and the counter tops are pale green. I would like to change the wall color, any suggestions?

Answers

You have four colors, one too many. I'd go with white paint on the walls to match the white tiles on the floor.

We have installed a light tan tile on the kitchen floor. Our cabinets are cherry oak. What would be a nice color (pastel) to paint the walls?

By Vicki from Aiken, SC

Answers:

Painting Kitchen With Cherry Cabinets

What about a very pale pink or aqua? (06/03/2010)

By yoder178

Painting Kitchen With Cherry Cabinets

I like the idea of the aqua. Certain greens would work. It all depends on the proportions. With the tile and cabinet colors, the aqua or related blues, or a green could work. You need a small amount of a strong color, deep cherry, dark brown, or an intense version of the wall color. Picture frames, picture mats, curtains, floor mats, etc. that add an accent. (06/05/2010)

By Chloelizabeth

What color paint would you use in a kitchen with cherry cabinets and stainless appliances?

By Jackie from Westminster, CO

Answers:

Painting Kitchen With Cherry Cabinets

Google "Cherry cabinets" and look at the images. I found these ones; http://www.woatile.com/kitchen-cabinets.htm
and http://www.aristokraft.com/styles/room/gallery/?room=kitchenandid=134

The paint choices that seem to work best are lighter colors like cream, creamy yellows, light greens. You want that wonderful cherry to "pop" so be careful of going too dark.

I am jealous, I would love to have new cabinets. Not in the budget right now. When we first were house hunting, our current home was the second house we saw -- and I rejected it because I hated the kitchen. After seeing 25 more houses, it became obvious that the husband had already fallen in love with this one. The kitchen cabinets here are so cheaply made that they are hollow-core. I kid you not. Anyway, have fun painting! ;-) (01/27/2010)

By irtoodvs4u

Painting Kitchen With Cherry Cabinets

At Home Depot they have a paint color called Spiced Cashew, which also has primer and paint all in one and goes on wonderfully. It would look beautiful with your cabinets and floor! (01/28/2010)

By rainy21

Cherry Colored Cabinets
Cherry Colored Cabinets

I need help choosing a color for my kitchen. I have darker cherry colored cabinets. Any suggestions? Thanks.

By Dooner from Las Vegas, NV

Answers:

Painting Kitchen With Cherry Cabinets

You have a perfect "blank slate". The cabinets and floor are neutral, so you can use any color you want.
Just pick your favorite color and use a light to medium shade of that. I personally prefer green, sage green or a soft lime green would look great.
The only thing you might need to consider is the color of any room that is adjacent to the kitchen. (09/25/2009)

By Southern Saver

Painting Kitchen With Cherry Cabinets

My daughter and son-in-law are working on this house and painted the walls this warm light terra cotta color that goes well with the dark woodwork. This picture is not very accurate, but it's just to give you an idea what it can look like. (09/26/2009)

By emmamamie

RE: Painting Kitchen With Cherry Cabinets

Painting Kitchen With Cherry Cabinets

I think a dark green would be absolutely beautiful. (09/26/2009)

By kflawson

Painting Kitchen With Cherry Cabinets

Definitely your favorite color in an eggshell tone or cream. What lovely cabinets. You just don't want to have too dark of a wall color because the cabinets and flooring are dark. (09/26/2009)

By Deeli

Painting Kitchen With Cherry Cabinets

I agree with the other suggestions of color. I was thinking of something in the red, maroon, or dark terra cotta. You've got the overhead lighting and can "punch" with white platters, etc. above the cabinets and what a stand out that would be. Please respond to this question with a picture of the finished kitchen.(09/26/2009)

By mom of towers

Painting Kitchen With Cherry Cabinets

Most of the big paint companies have virtual rooms you can paint online so that you can get an idea of what it will look like before hand, like Benjamin Moore. You get to select the room and then they have like 8 different kitchens, bedrooms, baths, etc. You pick the one you want to use and change the cabinets to your color and then go from there.

I used this when I added the addition to my house a few years ago and it was a big help. Good luck on the kitchen. (09/26/2009)

By caraing

Painting Kitchen With Cherry Cabinets

Personally, I love HGTV, I've seen a lot of decorating shows. I suggest a yellow or cream color myself. The yellow would probably make it more perky and not like all white. (10/05/2009)

By rosefroggie

Cherry Colored Cabinets
Cherry Colored Cabinets
I need help choosing a color for my kitchen. I have cherry colored cabinets. Any suggestions?

Liz from Boston, MA

Answers:

Kitchen With Cherry Cabinets

I would go with a very light sage green. (06/29/2007)

By Jennifer

Kitchen With Cherry Cabinets

Kitchen With Cherry Cabinets

Pull a colour from the flower picture you have on the wall. If you like dramatic, pick the flower colour. For a softer colour, pick a green. For a neutral look, pick the background colour. Oh, and think about just painting the kitchen wall and leaving the wall behind the picture the way it is, especially if you pick a darker colour (keep the kitchen wall as an accent). The picture will provide enough colour and save you some extra work. (06/29/2007)

By Trix

Kitchen With Cherry Cabinets

I think a very light green or even a very light butter yellow would look gorgeous. (06/29/2007)

By Cindy S.

Kitchen With Cherry Cabinets

I have the same colored cabinets and I used a soft brown. (It's the color of rich coffee with cream in it).
It is so soothing and warm. It will go nicely with the picture on your wall as well. I did mine eight years ago and I still love it. (06/29/2007)

By Annie

Kitchen With Cherry Cabinets

I love your kitchen, I think it would look really nice with a light sand/earth tone color which would compliment your beautiful cabinets and table very nicely. You can change the color of your kitchen with whatever color curtains you put up or a very pale yellow color, which would limit you as to what color curtains you can use.

If you use the sage like the others are talking about it would make your kitchen way too dark, because of the color of your cabinets. Unless you want to darken it up, if so trust me you won't like it, it's too depressing dark. I would do the light sand/earth tone color myself it will look really rich with those cabinets. Get some paint chips and see what you would like. (06/29/2007)

By candleglows

Kitchen With Cherry Cabinets

Lemon would be nice it would bring out the color of the wood. (06/30/2007)

By moonshadow

Kitchen With Cherry Cabinets

I'd say yellow and green (sunflowers). (06/30/2007)

By Maryeileen

Kitchen With Cherry Cabinets

Oh, I forgot, decide if you want a warm color (which advances or makes the room seem cozier) or a cool color (which recedes, and makes the room feel larger). If you don't know if the color is warm or cool, ask the paint salespeople. Sometimes the code of the color states if it is cool or warm. And there are colors which can work both ways.

(07/03/2007)

By Barbara

Kitchen With Cherry Cabinets

I love painting my rooms two colors. It's really 'in" and paint is not expensive, My kitchen is a lite cocoa brown on two walls and sage green on the other two walls. What is so cool, the next time you want to make a change, you may only want to paint two of the walls. (07/03/2007)

By Sharon

Kitchen With Cherry Cabinets

I also have dark cherry wood cabinets, and I went with a "warm" yellow. It is beautiful. I would also suggest a dark red/burgundy color. Buy a quart of paint and put on wall, wait a few days so you can see it in various lighting. Have fun and remember it is only paint. (06/20/2008)

By Mary Anne