Kitchen Paint Color Advice

Paint chips on a kitchen blueprint.
It can be difficult to select the right paint colors for your kitchen. You need to consider the colors of items such as appliances, countertops, and floors when picking paint colors. This page contains kitchen paint color advice.

This is a guide about adding color to my kitchen walls. A new paint job can modernize and brighten up your kitchen.

White kitchen with right green painted backsplash

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Choosing a wall color to complement your kitchen, cabinets, appliances, and floor can help bring the whole room together. This is a guide about paint color advice for a white and gray kitchen.

White and Gray Kitchen

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

The finish on your kitchen cabinets plays a role in the choice of wall paint colors. This is a guide about paint color advice for a kitchen with oak cabinets.

A kitchen with oak cabinets.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Choosing a wall paint color to complement your cabinets is an important part of developing your kitchen color scheme. This is a guide about painting a kitchen with orange cupboards.

Kitchen with orange cupboards.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about "What color should I paint my kitchen walls?". Choosing the best color for your kitchen walls can make or break the overall room color scheme.

Group of people holding painting supplies and samples in a white kitchen

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about kitchen paint color advice for dark green counter tops. Choosing a paint color to complement dark green kitchen counter tops can be difficult.

Gallon paint cans with several different colors and had holding paint color sample strips

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about kitchen paint advice with cherry cabinets. Choosing the right wall paint color with dark wood cabinets can make a big difference in the look of your kitchen.

Kitchen With Cherry Cabinets

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I have a black granite countertop with birch color cabinets and a tan ceramic floor. What paint wall color should I consider to bring the kitchen together?

By Carol Q.

Answer Was this helpful? 2
Best Answer

I am with the previous poster. My cabinets are maple and the counter tops black granite and the floor beige also. I plan on painting the wall where the dinette set is in red and also above the cabinets. Then I will paint the rest of the room in a honey gold. This ties in with a rug we have in the living room which are all open to each other.

Best Answer

I have maple cabinets and floors with a grey tile countertop and we went with a heavy green. I love having green in the kitchen because it is an uplifting color. I would recommend it highly, looks great with my black dinette set in the eat in area as well. Get some samples, or find a color in a magazine or some piece you love and have it copied. I would stay away from red or yellow in the kitchen because it promotes hunger. That's why all those fast food restaurants use those colors.

I have a small kitchen that has two walls with pictures that have bright blue, some bright yellow, and a little bright green in them. I have a dark green counter, not too much of a counter and a light green and white back splash. I have a window and then white cabinets. I have a white round table with black chairs and a black and silver ceiling fan. My floor is white with some black and gray in it. Any suggestions on a new paint color for my walls would be greatly appreciated!

By Glenda from Philadelphia, PA

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I'd go with white walls as it will make your kitchen bright and seem larger. This would be a nice contrast to your counter. I'm fond of the clean look the white gives in a kitchen.

We have green counters and white cabinets. The floor is a green laminate tile and we have recently gotten new black appliances. What color should we paint the walls (they are white now)? We were thinking a muted gray.

By Madie

Answer Was this helpful? 1

White cabinets, beige counters, white appliances, white/beige floor, what color should I paint the walls?

Selling the house, removing dated wallpaper.

It needs some color and most anything will go with what you have. Maybe terra cotta or sage green?

If you are selling the house then I would go with a nice neutral color. Bright colors are nice but not everyone loves them and if you have a "Blank slate" so to speak people can see themselves in the house better, any warm neutral color, like a beige or desert tan would look good-as long as it's in the same tone as your beige counters.

Blue with white stencils a la toile?

Yellow.

Stripes.

Hm, You could do many things. Butter cream, (look at a tub of butter), you could go in the golds to a pale yellow. I think that maybe you need something not so bland, though. How about a faded or muted rust or pumpkin orange? a celery green would be a more neutral selection. sky blue, although some agents will tell you that pretty much is too personal a choice. Orange, red, and golds are said to be 'energy' colours. Blues and greens are soothing. Good luck.

Red will stimulate the appetite. It is a good color for kitchens and dining rooms. You could do a two-tone look so it's not overpowering. Red on the bottom, beige on top. You could add a cheap white chair rail to really add value.

Or put red (or whatever color you decide) above the counter, under the cabinets for a little punch of color and do a more neutral color on the main part of the wall.

Can't go wrong with white ---or beige a couple of shades darker than the counter tops

A nice cheerful red with maybe black handles on cabinets.

Just make sure the red is not too dark.

Think of a chef dressed in white, black and red.

Or you could go "french country" and do yellow with blue accents.

Good luck!!

Hi! If you're selling you need to stay with neutrals. However, with what you describe going on in your kitchen, you need some color. I would recommend a sage green. It is a "new" neutral and it will allow some contrast between the colors you already have. It will look great!

What color should I paint my kitchen walls? The cabinets are white and the appliances are white. The floor is a light oak wood looking vinyl. I am thinking of candy red. Is this too much red? There will be only one whole wall and just spaces over the cabinet tops. Thanks for any advice.

I have my kitchen cabinets picked out and they are called "coconut". It is an off-white colour. Not too far off white, but not completely stark white. I am wondering what color crown moulding, doors, door headers, and window mouldings I should use. Should I go off-white? or white? Does anyone have any pictures of this type of kitchen that they are willing to share? Thank you! :)

We are purchasing a home with Corian kitchen countertops in a mauve pink with gray flecks and a pink and gray tile backsplash. I want to paint the kitchen cabinets white. What color should I paint the walls? Maybe gray?

I don't want it to be too dark, that's why I'm painting the cabinets white. The living room and dining room kind of flow into the kitchen and I'm not sure I want those rooms gray, but I want it to flow nicely. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

By Jacklin30 from Glendale, CA

You could go get some paint cards that you think are near the colors you mentioned: pink mauve, gray, any other little fleck of color. Some light greens might work.

Do you like the colors? Maybe the one you like most?

I dont think I'd incorporate yet another color into that room. I think if you use the light green suggested previously, your pink and grey will stand out more. Green might be opposite pink on the color wheel and that is why it works, but think about what I've said about it.

All paint manufacturers have a cardboard color swatch of what they call "whites." Pick up one of those. You'll notice that some of the whites are more pinkish, greenish, yellowish, greyish, etc. I think I'd consider the white with the greyish tint to it. But I wouldnt rule out the pinkish one either. See what you think. I"d use this color chart to choose the white for the cabinets as well to give the room a coordinated look as if you'd planned it that way.

As I write this I'm really leaning toward the greyish white for both the cabinets and the walls, but you will know better once you get your swatches. Everyone has different tastes and each room has a different sun exposure. That is if you room is southern facing, you might choose the grey and if it is facing North, you might choose the pink.

Additionally, you might want to consider painting your kitchen a shade of red that has pink overtones rather than orange or yellow ones. That was just a thought that perhaps you hadn't considered. Smile.

Perhaps most important of all is your choice of sheen for your paint. I'd choose satin or eggshell for my kitchen. It has a little sheen to reflect more light and its easier to keep clean than flat paint. Have fun and remember its only paint. If you don't like it you can always paint over it!

Try a pleasing shade of pink on your kitchen and dining room walls and possibly in to the living room as well. I have seen homes done in all pink and you'd be surprised how welcoming it looks. The color complements people's skin tones and they feel good in a pink room. Pink make s a nice backdrop for most wooden furniture, as well. You could always flow to a soft grey in the LR with cream, charcoal and rose or burgundy accents. The cream stands out against the grey and looks very attractive. Above all. make you home something you feel good in. Have fun!

What about brown pink and brown are beautiful together?

Just wanted to thank everyone for their wonderful suggestions! I appreciate them all. I will get some swatches and play around with them a bit. As one of you mentioned, it's only paint and if you don't like it, you can paint over it!

I would try gray that is a few shades lighter than the counter or tile so it blends but doesn't stand out too much. I love the idea of painting the cabinets. It will make a big difference. Here are some tips on that:

http://www.oldh  n-cabinets.shtml

Pink like the back splash, it with really bring out the mauve and grey in your counter top.

My kitchen cabinets are maple wood painted alabaster white. My floors are slate in charcoal grey. My counter tops are Carara marble (white with grey veins). I have stainless steel appliances and chrome faucets and knobs and crystal chandeliers over my island. There is also stacked stone (ledgestone) in black/charcoal grey on the back of my island, the side where the stools are. What color for the walls?

By Lily from Haddon Heights, NJ

My kitchen countertops and floors are charcoal grey and black with stainless appliances. So what color cabinets and walls should I do?

We have a lot of gray in the house, and in the living room I have black and white. I don't know what colour to do my kitchen in. I was thinking a nice yellow, but would that go with the rest of the house?

By S.F

I have golden oak floors and cabinets and lots of windows trimmed in golden oak. I have black countertops with a black backsplash. Should I do warm yellow walls or will they disappear against the golden oak? Otherwise I want to do a deep garnet color.

By Lori

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I have white cupboards with navy counter top. What colour should I paint the walls?

By Susan

What color should I paint my kitchen? I have white tile with red tile trim, white cabinets and appliances. the countertop is terra cotta speckled with red.

By Jane

Answer Was this helpful? 1

What would be a good color to paint your kitchen wall, when your cabinets are brown and your tile floor is a tan color?

By Allona from Baytown, TX

Without seeing a picture its pretty hard to say what would look good.

However, typically kitchen walls are painted darker than the cabinets and floors. You can get away with a darker color because there is less wall space in a kitchen. Try to pick a darker accent color for the walls, maybe incorporating a color you already have in your kitchen (placemats, pictures on the wall, etc).

You may also want to invest in getting a fandeck: http://store.we  or-Charts_c8.htm

It is amazing how helpful it is to have a fandeck at home with hundreds or thousands of colors. Any paint place can match whatever color you find in your fandeck even if it is a different brand of paint.

Hope that helps!

Well thank you, I didnt know if it would be better to have a darker color or lighter so that really did help =)

I have recently changed my floor tiles and am having difficulty with tile colour and paint for walls.

What color do I paint my kitchen?

By Kacie

I have a long and narrow kitchen with just one window so it doesn't get much light. I need suggestions for a new paint color for my walls. I do not wish to change the maple color of the cabinets, I just want to add some color and light to the room.

By Ana P from Albany, NY

I have lighter, but not light, blue-grey kitchen ceramic floor tiles. They are reasonably attractive, but difficult to match a wall colour to without changing the newish medium warm wood stain on the cupboards. My house is 110 years old, with 9.5 foot ceilings and wainscoting in that kitchen. Any suggestions?

By Victoria

I am having a terrible time figuring out what color to paint our kitchen. It is a 100% remodel for us. I had thought I wanted to use yellow, but can't find one that works and at this point don't even know if that is the right choice to begin with.

Cabinets: maple stained chestnut
Floor: DuPont Real Touch Tuscan Sand laminate tile flooring
Appliances: stainless
Counters: Will be Formica-like probably on the light side with tan/beige coloring.

We are planning to paint the adjoining room "toasted coconut" by Glidden. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

By BD323

Please help. I recently bought a condo. The kitchen is very small, but very nice. The cabinets are mahogany and the counter top is green granite, a beautiful light green with dark green waves of color and some rust or brown spots in it.

I am having such a difficult time choosing a color for the walls. There are places the paint will be next to the cabinets and on top of the granite. Can you please help me? I look forward to your reply. Thank you.

By Pesh from FL

i was wondering if anyone knew what paint color might go good with avacado green appliances and pale yellow vinyl countertops? Or maybe some kind of faux paint technique. i don't want to re-wallpaper! Thanks,

Lana

You may want to repaint the avacado fridge first. They sell appliance paint in the painting section of most stores. I repainted mine years ago and I loved the results. As far as the walls go you may want to play up the yellow. Yellow has a way of brighting a dull kitchen. Depending on the color of your cabinets.

What about sage paint? It goes great with yellow and I think the avacado would look ok with it also. I have my kitchen painted sage. It is called Mountain Sage from Behr. You can go to the website and look at the colors. www.behr.com

Good luck

Hope this helps :)

I'd do a 'terra cotta' look faux paint job. Start by painting the whole kitchen an orange colour, then do a 'wash' over that with a reddish/brown colour. I did this in a bathroom in my old house, and am definitely going to do it again....probably in my new kitchen.

Lisa

I painted my living room walls, coffee with cream. I also have a dark sofas and also a tan brown sofa. I painted my chimney light grey. I have an arch that my husband decided to paint Cherry Cola.

I have these curtains that are tan with brown. I want to paint my kitchen that's connected to the living room by the arch. What color should I paint my kitchen? Please help me decide on what colors will go good.

I just remodeled my kitchen and now have white cabinets and a white back splash with a medium grey counter top and cherry wood colored tile floor. I have purchased a blue and cream fabric for window treatments and can't figure out what color to use on the walls. I painted them yellow, but it doesn't work - too many colors going on I think. Help please.

Load More