Kitchen Paint Color Advice

It can be difficult to select the right paint colors for your kitchen. You need to consider the colors of items such as appliances, countertops, and floors when picking paint colors. This page contains kitchen paint color advice.

This is a guide about adding color to my kitchen walls. A new paint job can modernize and brighten up your kitchen.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Choosing a paint color to complement the tile and cabinets in your kitchen can help pull the whole room together and make it an enjoyable workspace. This is a guide about paint color suggestion for navy and white kitchen.

Choosing a wall color to complement your kitchen, cabinets, appliances, and floor can help bring the whole room together. This is a guide about paint color advice for a white and gray kitchen.

The finish on your kitchen cabinets plays a role in the choice of wall paint colors. This is a guide about paint color advice for a kitchen with oak cabinets.

Choosing a wall paint color to complement your cabinets is an important part of developing your kitchen color scheme. This is a guide about painting a kitchen with orange cupboards.

This is a guide about "What color should I paint my kitchen walls?". Choosing the best color for your kitchen walls can make or break the overall room color scheme.

This is a guide about kitchen paint color advice for dark green counter tops. Choosing a paint color to complement dark green kitchen counter tops can be difficult.

This is a guide about kitchen paint advice with cherry cabinets. Choosing the right wall paint color with dark wood cabinets can make a big difference in the look of your kitchen.

I have a black granite countertop with birch color cabinets and a tan ceramic floor. What paint wall color should I consider to bring the kitchen together?

By Carol Q.

Answers

Best Answer

I am with the previous poster. My cabinets are maple and the counter tops black granite and the floor beige also. I plan on painting the wall where the dinette set is in red and also above the cabinets. Then I will paint the rest of the room in a honey gold. This ties in with a rug we have in the living room which are all open to each other.

Best Answer

I have maple cabinets and floors with a grey tile countertop and we went with a heavy green. I love having green in the kitchen because it is an uplifting color. I would recommend it highly, looks great with my black dinette set in the eat in area as well.

Get some samples, or find a color in a magazine or some piece you love and have it copied. I would stay away from red or yellow in the kitchen because it promotes hunger. That's why all those fast food restaurants use those colors.

I have a small kitchen that has two walls with pictures that have bright blue, some bright yellow, and a little bright green in them. I have a dark green counter, not too much of a counter and a light green and white back splash. I have a window and then white cabinets. I have a white round table with black chairs and a black and silver ceiling fan. My floor is white with some black and gray in it. Any suggestions on a new paint color for my walls would be greatly appreciated!

By Glenda from Philadelphia, PA

Answers

I'd go with white walls as it will make your kitchen bright and seem larger. This would be a nice contrast to your counter. I'm fond of the clean look the white gives in a kitchen.

We have green counters and white cabinets. The floor is a green laminate tile and we have recently gotten new black appliances. What color should we paint the walls (they are white now)? We were thinking a muted gray.

By Madie

White cabinets, beige counters, white appliances, white/beige floor, what color should I paint the walls?

Selling the house, removing dated wallpaper.

Answers

It needs some color and most anything will go with what you have. Maybe terra cotta or sage green?

By Stephanie (Guest Post)

If you are selling the house then I would go with a nice neutral color. Bright colors are nice but not everyone loves them and if you have a "Blank slate" so to speak people can see themselves in the house better, any warm neutral color, like a beige or desert tan would look good-as long as it's in the same tone as your beige counters.

Blue with white stencils a la toile?

Yellow.

Stripes.

By KLS8800 (Guest Post)

Hm, You could do many things. Butter cream, (look at a tub of butter), you could go in the golds to a pale yellow. I think that maybe you need something not so bland, though. How about a faded or muted rust or pumpkin orange? a celery green would be a more neutral selection.

sky blue, although some agents will tell you that pretty much is too personal a choice. Orange, red, and golds are said to be 'energy' colours. Blues and greens are soothing. Good luck.

Red will stimulate the appetite. It is a good color for kitchens and dining rooms. You could do a two-tone look so it's not overpowering. Red on the bottom, beige on top. You could add a cheap white chair rail to really add value.

Or put red (or whatever color you decide) above the counter, under the cabinets for a little punch of color and do a more neutral color on the main part of the wall.

Can't go wrong with white ---or beige a couple of shades darker than the counter tops

A nice cheerful red with maybe black handles on cabinets.
Just make sure the red is not too dark.
Think of a chef dressed in white, black and red.
Or you could go "french country" and do yellow with blue accents.
Good luck!!

By Jenny (Guest Post)

Hi! If you're selling you need to stay with neutrals. However, with what you describe going on in your kitchen, you need some color. I would recommend a sage green. It is a "new" neutral and it will allow some contrast between the colors you already have. It will look great!

What color should I paint my kitchen walls? The cabinets are white and the appliances are white. The floor is a light oak wood looking vinyl. I am thinking of candy red. Is this too much red? There will be only one whole wall and just spaces over the cabinet tops. Thanks for any advice.

I have my kitchen cabinets picked out and they are called "coconut". It is an off-white colour. Not too far off white, but not completely stark white. I am wondering what color crown moulding, doors, door headers, and window mouldings I should use. Should I go off-white? or white? Does anyone have any pictures of this type of kitchen that they are willing to share? Thank you! :)

We are purchasing a home with Corian kitchen countertops in a mauve pink with gray flecks and a pink and gray tile backsplash. I want to paint the kitchen cabinets white. What color should I paint the walls? Maybe gray?

I don't want it to be too dark, that's why I'm painting the cabinets white. The living room and dining room kind of flow into the kitchen and I'm not sure I want those rooms gray, but I want it to flow nicely. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

By Jackie from Glendale, CA

Answers

You could go get some paint cards that you think are near the colors you mentioned: pink mauve, gray, any other little fleck of color. Some light greens might work.

Do you like the colors? Maybe the one you like most?

I dont think I'd incorporate yet another color into that room. I think if you use the light green suggested previously, your pink and grey will stand out more. Green might be opposite pink on the color wheel and that is why it works, but think about what I've said about it.

All paint manufacturers have a cardboard color swatch of what they call "whites." Pick up one of those. You'll notice that some of the whites are more pinkish, greenish, yellowish, greyish, etc. I think I'd consider the white with the greyish tint to it. But I wouldnt rule out the pinkish one either. See what you think. I"d use this color chart to choose the white for the cabinets as well to give the room a coordinated look as if you'd planned it that way.

As I write this I'm really leaning toward the greyish white for both the cabinets and the walls, but you will know better once you get your swatches. Everyone has different tastes and each room has a different sun exposure. That is if you room is southern facing, you might choose the grey and if it is facing North, you might choose the pink.

Additionally, you might want to consider painting your kitchen a shade of red that has pink overtones rather than orange or yellow ones. That was just a thought that perhaps you hadn't considered. Smile.

Perhaps most important of all is your choice of sheen for your paint. I'd choose satin or eggshell for my kitchen. It has a little sheen to reflect more light and its easier to keep clean than flat paint. Have fun and remember its only paint. If you don't like it you can always paint over it!

Try a pleasing shade of pink on your kitchen and dining room walls and possibly in to the living room as well. I have seen homes done in all pink and you'd be surprised how welcoming it looks. The color complements people's skin tones and they feel good in a pink room. Pink make s a nice backdrop for most wooden furniture, as well. You could always flow to a soft grey in the LR with cream, charcoal and rose or burgundy accents. The cream stands out against the grey and looks very attractive. Above all. make you home something you feel good in. Have fun!

What about brown pink and brown are beautiful together?

Just wanted to thank everyone for their wonderful suggestions! I appreciate them all. I will get some swatches and play around with them a bit. As one of you mentioned, it's only paint and if you don't like it, you can paint over it!

My kitchen cabinets are maple wood painted alabaster white. My floors are slate in charcoal grey. My counter tops are Carara marble (white with grey veins). I have stainless steel appliances and chrome faucets and knobs and crystal chandeliers over my island. There is also stacked stone (ledgestone) in black/charcoal grey on the back of my island, the side where the stools are. What color for the walls?

By Lily from Haddon Heights, NJ

My kitchen countertops and floors are charcoal grey and black with stainless appliances. So what color cabinets and walls should I do?

We have a lot of gray in the house, and in the living room I have black and white. I don't know what colour to do my kitchen in. I was thinking a nice yellow, but would that go with the rest of the house?

By S.F

I have golden oak floors and cabinets and lots of windows trimmed in golden oak. I have black countertops with a black backsplash. Should I do warm yellow walls or will they disappear against the golden oak? Otherwise I want to do a deep garnet color.

By Lori

I have white cupboards with navy counter top. What colour should I paint the walls?

By Susan

What color should I paint my kitchen? I have white tile with red tile trim, white cabinets and appliances. the countertop is terra cotta speckled with red.

By Jane

What would be a good color to paint your kitchen wall, when your cabinets are brown and your tile floor is a tan color?

By allona from Baytown, TX

I have recently changed my floor tiles and am having difficulty with tile colour and paint for walls.

Load More