Kitchen Wall Color Advice

I have a black granite countertop with birch color cabinets and a tan ceramic floor. What paint wall color should I consider to bring the kitchen together?

By Carol Q.

Best Answer

I am with the previous poster. My cabinets are maple and the counter tops black granite and the floor beige also. I plan on painting the wall where the dinette set is in red and also above the cabinets. Then I will paint the rest of the room in a honey gold. This ties in with a rug we have in the living room which are all open to each other.

Best Answer

I have maple cabinets and floors with a grey tile countertop and we went with a heavy green. I love having green in the kitchen because it is an uplifting color. I would recommend it highly, looks great with my black dinette set in the eat in area as well.

Get some samples, or find a color in a magazine or some piece you love and have it copied. I would stay away from red or yellow in the kitchen because it promotes hunger. That's why all those fast food restaurants use those colors.

Boy I sure would be tempted to throw some red on at least one of the walls! My second thought was a yellow - not a bright yellow - just something with a bit of yellow in it - like maybe the color of a yellow cake before it's baked. Why not drop by a store and grab a paint color chart.

I went to Home Depot - grabbed a Martha Stewart color chart - circled the colors in my room and took it back. The paint department made a recommendation. Then I took it to a regular pain store and they gave a few more options that I love. Bottom line is make it a color you can live with and you like. Think about putting a different color on the wall that has the least amount of wall space than you use on the other walls.

Here is the dining area. I am anxious to get to AZ and paint but have to sell my house in IA first.