Paint Color Advice for a White and Gray Kitchen

Choosing a wall color to complement your kitchen, cabinets, appliances, and floor can help bring the whole room together. This is a guide about paint color advice for a white and gray kitchen.

Khaki is the color of my living room that runs into the dining area (big rectangle) and then L-shape into a galley kitchen. Kitchen cabinets are white, counter top is slate gray, floor is light gray. I have an arched window over the sink between the cabinets. No backsplash exists because I tore off the old tile and am not sure what to do.

What color tile or paint combination should I use to compliment the existing colors? The arch is deep and looks out into the lanai. I thought of putting up tile, 4 inch, with a row of peach and dark gray or black and maybe paint peach or dark or light gray on the wall? or maybe use a row of blue or dark blue or just paint it? The arch is big, but you can't tell by the picture and I need to paint or tile it inside and out, 2 colors? Arrgh, I'm so confused. Please help?

I want to show both sides of my kitchen (included second photo). I'm just wondering what color I should paint my kitchen and/or what color tile to install for the backsplash?

Color challenged in Florida.

By janice from Venice, FL

Answers

Any color will go with those colors, including the Khaki. They are all neutral colors. So do whatever flips your trigger, colorwise.

Having black 4x4 tiles as my kitchen backsplash (and hating it), I can only suggest that you go with the suggested white subway tile. The black makes the kitchen extremely dark. All of the colour suggestions sound great but before painting any of them may I suggest that you go to your local Home Depot or Lowes and pick up "several" sample paints to try on your walls to see which one you like best before purchasing the gallon(s) to do your painting.

They are relatively inexpensive and you'll get a better idea of which one you like best without having to paint an entire wall to do so. Good luck!

Have you considered using a bright color like red? If you don't want to go that bright, you might try another deep color like burgundy or deep green, try the paint swatches up against items in your kitchen and see what looks best. It also might be nice to add bright accessories, that would als liven it up.

I am wanting to paint my kitchen. The counter tops are grey with flecks of black and green. My floor is grey and white, I also have white appliances. I don't want green in my kitchen at all, what other colors could I go with for the back splash, cupboards and walls? I am not afraid of color.

By Sherri from Alberta, Canada

Answers:

If this were my kitchen, I would paint the walls red and the cupboards a medium to dark grey. As for the back splash, install white subway tile. It's really easy to to and will add a splash of white to tie in your appliances and brighten things up. (12/21/2009)

By Jean

burgundy (12/25/2009)

By B.

Definitely red, but not crayon red; a beautiful red wine in the sunlight red,a garnet/ruby red. (12/26/2009)

By Gloria Hayes

I would like to paint my kitchen (again). I'm not sure what color to go with. I have white cabinets, gray countertops, white trim and chair rail, and gray floors. My kitchen has doors that lead into the living room and dining room that are painted a toffee crunch color. I painted it a very bright yellow and really don't like it. Any suggestions?

Judy from Bellingham, MA

Answers:

Use a light sage green for the kitchen and a darker sage green for the dining room. (11/19/2008)

By joan pecsek

I'd like to suggest bringing in 2 additional colors. One would be the dominant and the other, the accent. Since you have gray and white, how about using a paint swatch that has shades of reds, turquoises or greens. My other thought is to choose (for instance), a color like brick red and then use something as an accent color. You might want to stay with the pastels instead of the warm bold colors, or vice versa.

However, a quick trip to the paint store's swatch department will be a great help. Consider the gray and white to be neutrals, so try ignoring them and selecting a color scheme you enjoy instead of trying to match. The next suggestion is to leave the yellow where it is and think about adding a whitewash of sorts to tone it down.

My last suggestion is to go with the flow and pretend you love the yellow color and add large pictures with screaming colors that match the yellow. The pictures you now have are too small for any color. (11/19/2008)

By Holly

Match chair cushions and a table runner to go with the loud colors in the large pictures. I guarantee this will tone down the buttercrunch yellow and is a lot more fun than re-painting.

How about a series of pictures (even small ones). What you need to do is to cover up empty wall space. (11/19/2008)

By Holly

I would go with a muted cadet blue or muted purple color. (11/19/2008)

By Laura

I agree with the sage color but staying with the same color for both rooms as it will flow better. When dyeing material, as I do, sage actually is in the grayed color family. How would your wood work look painted to match the toffee crunch of your doors? Wouldn't that blend better or not? Since I don't know really what that toffee crunch might look like, I wanted to put that out there. Or, better still, paint the door white to go with the woodwork and chair rail. Good luck. Let us know what you end up with. (11/19/2008)

By Barb

My recommendation would be red. A warm tomato red. It would compliment the toffee colour in the adjoining rooms, add warmth to the grey and white (cold colours), plus for any dining area, red is the colour that stimulates the appetite.

As for the picture; from the floor to the centre of the picture is the general rule.

Have fun, and think about the red; I guarantee it will look quite fab. (11/19/2008)

By lesley

I would go with a beige or sand color something neutral or very pale colors that would compliment the counters. Go to your local paint or home improvement store and pick out a gray color that matches your counters. Then pick up all the paint chips you like that look good with the gray chip and take them home put it against the counter. See which one you like best. Good luck. (11/22/2008)

By Maddy