Kitchen Wall Tile Color Advice

Category Kitchen
Making sure your tile color is right is an essential step changing out or adding tile to the kitchen. This is a guide about kitchen wall tile color advice.

I have just painted my kitchen a light grey colour and I was wondering what colour should I paint my walls and my tiles? My worktop is black.

Answers

Think about a creamy yellow, not real bright. Just enough to lift up some of the darker colors

The creamy yellow would work. With the black and gray, you could go with about any color--reds, oranges, aquas, blues, greens. I would suggest using a tint and a shade or tone of one color. You really need some color to add interest.

Thank you Pamela I might just go for that Colour.

Thank you Sheilah ..

I have travertine colored formica. It is honey colored with many shades of tan, a little white and a dash of gold in it. These colors are in my floor too. My walls are a cream color, my cabinets are white and my appliances are black. I need help selecting a color for a tile backsplash. Any help would be great. Thanks.

By buckdoe

Answers

How about going with a pattern that has burgundy or sienna (which ever blends better) and just a touch of the cream to pull it all together. I think you've got enough cream/honey, but if you have it as a background in the tile it will pull it together.

It's hard to tell without a picture. If the room is small, go with whatever matches your upper cabinet color (you can't go wrong with a traditional white). It will open up the room and give it a simple, clean look, if you stick with shades of white. You have to be careful, especially with black appliances. While black and white go well together, but if you add too many contrasting colors, this will make the room feel busy.

If white and black is too boring for your tastes, there's ways to rev it up.

*instead of going with traditional squares, go with diamond or subway shape
*Maybe create a line of contrasting color through the white . . . in my opinion, thinner is better.

*Or alternate white with cream-colored tiles, creating a pattern

*Or stick with the same white color and simply add interest with a molded tile design.
*Then there's tons of natural tile with variation of colors built into each piece. Maybe a basic white with hints of honey.

I just repainted my own cabinets and redid my back splash. I used bisque-colored subway tile because they matched my cabinets. I like the effect.

And here is how it turned out. Sorry about the grainy picture.

I got high gloss kitchen units, with the sides that can be seen, in a dark wood with matched dark wood kick boards. The worktop is black. What colour tiles should I use? (just around worktops) and what colour do I do the walls? Please help. Thanks.

By Claire from England

Answers

Have you consider glass tiles? I have only seen them used on "This New Old House" on US TV, but they would add lightness and sparkle without color. For the walls I would suggest a light aqua, light blue green, or something in that color family. Perhaps you could find the glass tiles with color and also use that color on the walls.

You can try purchasing glass tiles which will give a beautiful finish to the back splash. Hues that match the rest of your decor should be relatively easy to find at your local home improvement store or tile warehouse. If your kitchen is a bit more traditional you can even purchase stamped tin which would make a gorgeous backdrop. You can do the walls a nice frothy mocha color. I suggest a nice light caramel. Good luck!!

What colour tile would complement my new kitchen? I have cream cupboards and black worktops and appliances. There is nothing on the floor yet. I want to get away from cream or black tiles.

By Lyn

My units are medium oak. I would like a black worktop. What colour tiles would you suggest?

By Pamela from Cardiff

My kitchen cabinets are a cream color. The walls are a very pale green. (I'm not averse to changing the wall color.) I have black granite on the counters. The kitchen looks kind of art deco to me. I'd like to put subway tiles under the cabinets. What color tiles should I use?

By Joan E.