Putting Contact Paper Over Wall Tile in a Bathroom

Category Bathroom
This is a guide about putting contact paper over wall tile in a bathroom. Covering ugly ceramic wall tile has been done with good quality contact paper. Some people have had success with painting the tile instead.

Has anyone ever used Contact paper on a bathroom wall tile splash (not a shower wall splash)? I'm trying to cover up my ugly shiny hot pink tile. Should I use an adhesive before I put the Contact paper on and if so, what should I use?

By ddb2800

Answers

Best Answer

I would not recommend contact paper. It will not hold up in a bathroom with the steam. In my personal experience, painting tile never looks quite right. I too have the ugly pink tile in my bathroom. Tub, toilet, floor and wall tile are all various shades of ugly pink.

We needed to replace the vanity so I experimented with painting the tile that I knew would be covered by the new one. I did everything exactly by the directions and never could get it to look right. I decided that it actually looked worse than the pink.

If you decide to paint it, find a way to test it out somewhere first to see what your end result will be. Even if you have to buy a few super cheap tiles and put them on a board and paint that, at least you'll have an idea how it will work.

We ended up painting the walls above the tile white and using a white shower curtain and white rug. I hung botanical pictures of leaves (the greens didn't clash with the pink as bad as other things) on the walls and just got on with life. Someday, we'll save enough money up to re-do everything in more modern, neutral colors.

Best Answer

I used contact paper over the tiles in my bathroom, (I call it east end marble). I even covered the ceiling over the tub because it is in an alcove and the paint was constantly peeling with the condensation. It has lasted 15 years. I have had to replace the caulking twice and refinish the tub, but the contact paper is still looking good.

Trick is to use good quality contact paper, layer it like you would shingles so the water flows over the paper and not under (start from the bottom). I like to use marble or granite contact paper, you don't have to worry about matching up patterns, and the seams are camouflaged.

I think you can buy paint for tile, it seems like I have seen that done on some decorating shows.

If you do want to paint your tiles, here are instructions. It takes preparation and time but the results would probably look more "tile-ish" than contact paper: http://www.bath … throom-tiles.php