Crackle Painting Countertops

Category Painting
The crackle painting technique allows the base coat to show through a crazed top coat finish giving an aged cracked paint effect. This is a guide about crackle painting countertops.

I can not afford to pay someone to do my kitchen so I am doing it myself. So far it looks great, but I have laminate countertops and would like to paint them and crackle them. Can it be done? I would appreciate any information. Thanks

By mammaw1999 from Oneonta, AL

Answers

Best Answer

I used crackle paint on my really old ugly counter tops about 8 years ago. The counter was one with metal around the edges and I painted over that as well. It turned out great except I used a sealer that turned yellow after awhile. I lived in that house for a year and never had any issues. I got lots of compliments on it as well. The crackle helped to cover some big scratches that were in the countertop that I didn't want to try to fix. I'm getting ready to do this same thing in my new house but with better sealer.

Has anyone crackle painted kitchen countertops?

By German Girl 01

Answers:

Crackle Painting Countertops

I haven't "crackle painted", but I have painted countertops. If you do this, just make sure that you lightly sand your countertops first, then apply 1-2 coats of primer. Using a sponge roller is best to keep the texture even. Once done and dried, lightly sand the countertops again (maybe with a 120-150 grit sandpaper), to smooth out. After painting with the crackle paint and it is dried, you will need to do another light sanding. The final step would be to put a sealer over the countertops. The options are: polyurethane (which will require several coats) or an epoxy glaze coating (FAMOWOOD Glaze Coat) is sold at Lowe's and other home improvement stores. Joann Fabrics and other stores like it sell another version (can't think of the name).

For more information on painting countertops, do a search on ThriftyFun for "Painting Laminate Countertops". A lot of people have done it with awesome results! Good luck. (04/05/2009)

By go2jared