Painting Countertops to Look Like Marble

I painted my laminate countertops. I sanded and primed. I painted with acrylic paint sponged to look like marble. It looked great. I painted with Minwax spar urethane clear gloss. There is one problem - the marblizing colors are coming off. What am I doing wrong? I am letting it dry completely between coats. Please help.

Best Answer

You might have used the wrong sealer. Some recommendations are EnviroTex Lite or Super Glaze.

Did you mix paint media? ... Maybe putting oil paint layer over a latex paint layer or vice versa? IDK that that's an answer, just guessing. Good luck - what an awful thing to happen after all that work.

I don't know, but I do know that 3 people I know have tried this with no, evidently its a common problem....If you find out, please share the answer so I can pass on to them. Another friend of mine did this and hers came out great. She did hers from some sort of kit that she got at Lowe's.

Could possibly be due to the combo of oil based topcoat and water based paint. They tend to not work well or adhere to each other well.

That would be my guess. I used water based on mine and it all stayed fine and I have had no trouble in several years of using them.

This is a very tricky job but it looks like you did your research before you started the job - why did it mess up?

Since you did not use a kit (where everything is "programed" to work together) it is possible one of the steps was of a non-compatible product.

This site has proper steps to follow and list of compatible material so maybe if you review and try to match the steps you may see someplace you could have gone astray.
Also, some of the paint carrying stores (Ace Hardware and True Value are both good) may have a paint person that could answer your question.