Repairing Marks on Porcelain Countertop

Category Kitchen
A porcelain finish can get marked and scratched. Removing or covering these blemishes can help it look better. This is a guide about repairing marks on porcelain countertop.

I burnt my sisters porcelain counter top by keeping my straightner on for way too long. It has a pretty good burn mark. It's close to a dark orange strip. Please help!

Carrie from Atlanta, GA

By idiot (Guest Post)

You should get a bunsen burner, set it to blue flame, and re burn it. I know this may sound stupid, but it makes the porcelain turn back to white.

Editor's Note: This is one I've never heard and cannot confirm.

By Lori (Guest Post)

Okay. I just now removed a dark red burn mark from my porcelain counter top (I live on post and they would charge me a fortune if it had to be replaced) anyway. I did something risky. I had planned on painting over the mark with spray paint, but there was a spot that wasn't drying smoothly, so I scrubbed it off. The paint came off and so did the burn mark completely! I used Krylon indoor/outdoor paint, and I didn't let it set but a few minutes. I used the blow dryer on it too.

By Diane (Guest Post)

Hello, I am moving into an apartment, the kitchen has a mauve laminate countertop, the previous tenents used a small area of the counter top for chopping things so it is scratched but also the color worn off, anyway to fix the color? Also in the bathroom a burn mark in the countertop? Thanks

After reading some of the other posts, I tried water and baking soda to remove a dark brown burn mark from my porcelain countertop in my bathroom. I tried to scrub it off with a toothbrush, but that didn't work.

Then I remember that someone suggested wetting the area and rubbing it with a fingernail file in a circular motion, worked like a charm! Thanks!

I burnt a spot on my porcelain countertop with my curling iron. I tried all the DIY tips to remove it, baking soda, Barkeepeer's Friend, etc. Nothing worked.

So I filed it down with a nail file and repeated the tricks. It is getting much lighter. But now there are scratch marks there. How can I get rid of these?

By kylie from Long Beach, CA

If there is a scratch mark on your porcelain counter, wet the surface, cover it in baking soda, and then spray it with Windex. Then, scrub it with a sponge.