Installing Tile Over a Laminate Countertop

This is a page about putting tiling over laminate countertop. While it is possible to install tile directly onto a laminate countertop, it does require some prep work so that the tiles can properly bond to the surface. Here are some tips for how to install tiles onto a laminate countertop.

I am interested in putting ceramic tiles over my laminate kitchen counters and backsplash. How can you do this?

By Pam

Answers

I did this recently. Formica and other resilient surfaces don't take the adhesive well so every place I looked said you need to remove the Formica and even the old plywood or particle board counter tops! I thought, "What a pain in the @$$!" So I decided to just buy some of the backer board and screw it right into the Formica. Best to drill pilot holes for the screws first. I also put mortar under the backer board over the Formica. Even though it doesn't stick that well to Formica, by screwing the backer board in it worked great. AS long as you have a nice level surface for the tile to adhere to it comes out great and saved me a ton of work. I used mortar for adhering the tile to the top of backer board. No one in the trade would recommend this without removing the old counter tops but I guarantee the tile will outlive me!

Answer this Question

How do I apply ceramic tile to an old Formica countertop?

I saw the discussion a few weeks ago about painting over laminate, and it got me wondering about tiling over laminate countertops. Will the adhesive stick if you sand the countertops?

Home and Garden Home Improvement RemodelingNovember 29, 2017
🍂
😷
🎄
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Installing-Tile-Over-a-Laminate-Countertop.html