Losing a Bedroom When Renovating

Category Remodeling
Room in the middle of being remodeled.
One way to increase the size of a room in a small house is to reduce the square footage of an adjoining, less used room. This is a guide about losing a bedroom when renovating.

Help I need an opinion. My wife and I are thinking of redoing a very small main floor bathroom. It is 5'x6'. There is a small room abutting it that we really don't use. I am thinking of stealing a piece of that room for the bath and using the rest to build a walk in closet and to make the family room also a bit larger.

We have 3 bedrooms and a bath upstairs. My wife thinks we should not do this as (if we sell) someone could use the small room as a 4th bedroom or a study. I think a bit larger bath, large closet and a bit larger family room will be a better seller. Any opinions?

Thanks,
Carl from Cresskill, NJ

Best Answer

I'm with you. If the room is that small, it's probably not worth preserving as a 4th bedroom. Walk-in closets for storage and a larger living area are great selling points too you know!

Best Answer

I am a Realtor --here's my opinion: IF you already have 4 bedrooms and would then have 3 (not 3 and would then have only 2), then you could do it and not worry about it. If you make it into a large closet area, do it with flourish--add an island in the middle with drawers. Surround the rest of the room with custom shelves, make this closet so amazing that it will be THE selling point of the house.

You may want to utilize your local Realtor for advice on losing a bedroom vs. adding a bigger closest/bath. This decision could ultimately affect the value of your home. If you don't know anyone in real estate, check your local real estate ads and many agents offer free advice for staging or market analysis. Even if you aren't thinking of selling, a good agent will normally do this for your future business or referrals. Just a thought!

Would the remaining space be big enough to use a murphy bed (fold down bed) in for guests? Or to make a built in study??