Decorating a Teen Bedroom

Category Teen Space
As our children get older they outgrow the colors and themes of their childhood bedroom. This is a guide about decorating a teen bedroom.

If you're a teen and want some spice in you're room liven things up a little, use really wild colors on your walls, bed, and decorations around your room. Don't be afraid to express yourself, not someone who you aren't. Good luck with your room. You'll do great!

By Hootie

I was wondering would a black beadspread with lime green and hot pink sheets and pillows look good? I mean if the walls are hot pink and lime green? Another thing, how should I paint the walls? Should I do each wall a different color? I thought about painting each wall a different color then putting some kind of design in the other color so that way each wall would have both colors. What do you guys think?
-Brittany

Answers

yup

By ashlee (Guest Post)

lose the black

By suzi (Guest Post)

Get some decorating help, sounds awful

By Linda (Guest Post)

You have gotta be kidding. Its making m e nauseaous and dizzy just thinking about it.

Anonymous

Hi, my granddaughter (16) has lime green walls, white woodwork, navy wall to wall rug, small rug with raspberry, purple and navy; and white curtains. She has a lime green and white diagonal striped afghan that I made her.

It really looks nice....Since you don't know her, I can tell you I got her some light bulbs (4) that turn pink, blue,green and another color alternately as a Christmas present. I think it will really please her. Good luck with your project.

By Kathie (Guest Post)

I think you love color! That you are young..or at least young at heart. Go for it, if that is what you want to do, you only live once, and no one else will have a room like that. Just dont step into that room if you come down with the flu!!

sounds very colorful and energetic! Go with it!!!!

By Linne Dodds (Guest Post)

I too am getting nauseous .If you ever start getting serious headaches you Will regret this decorating scheme .

But if you love it ,go for it,though I would try it with items I could take back to the store if decided I hate it.

Hi Brittany,
Anytime you put bright colors on walls it takes a total paint job to change them. Plus it is hard to do a good job to paint one wall one color and the other another one. You need to be very careful masking so that you don't have it look terrible.

You might choose one of the colors and then use accents of the other one. Like lime green walls and hot pink bedspread.

Also, I'd choose the lighter color because if you decide you don't like it, it will be easier to paint over later.

One thing that is fun to try is go to http://www.behr.com and choose your colors. Click on the explore color box and choose your colors. Then you can see what they look like in a room.

Have Fun
Susan from ThriftyFun

By Laura (Guest Post)

I think something could be done with these colours. I wouldn't go with a black bedspread, though. Would make the bed look like a big dark hole. I would do all the walls in green, though not a loud lime green. Something a little quieter that won't jump out at you and make you sick of it. Use the pink for accent only and find a lighter bedspread. Good luck!

Lyssa0 found this helpful

I have a 14 year old boy, I am a single mom. My son's room is in need of some serious help.

I hate the size. It is so small but, I have to deal with it for now. He is in need of some reorganizing that is simple enough for him. I think maybe there is too much in his room that is why it seems smaller.

He and I both want to redecorate and organize, painting is not an option but, he does like color . His favorite colors are red, navy blue, light blue, white and sunny yellow and gold yellow. He is athletic, loves cars, sport, music and art.

How can I help him to make a choice on a style without his room looking out of order in style and color as well as space? Space is a big problem, we need organizing tool especially for his closet. The closet is long but narrow and he can only use half of it, the other half is used for storing our summer clothing, shoes and linens.

Please Help!
Lyssa

Answers

I have some galvanised shelves that I bought at Walmart. They run about $30 and they have particle board shelves (don't cringe yet! lol). I ahve yet to do so, but ONE day I am going to gloss paint the particle brd in bright colours. You could do the same for him. They are about 6' tall, 36" wide and about 12-18" deep (can't remember exactly and I can't find me tape msr! They are SUPER sturdy! You can hang things like if he gets ribbons from the supports.

They have 5 shelves and you have the option of one TALL shelf or 2 shorter shelves. If you'd like a piccie of these, lemme know! These are also great as they will "grow with him" and he can take them when he lvs home. They look great in a kitchen, garage, bedrrom, whatever!

Well it sounds like you are very limited with what you can do. You can get a new comforter and curtains...maybe a bean bag chair. Painting some shelves sound like a good idea. What about a shelf that runs about a 18 inches from the ceiling all the way around the room. That will bring the eye up and make the room look larger.. Do the best that you can with fabric colors and shelving ideas...good luck!!!

HI, LAST NIGHT WE WERE LOOKING THRU THE LOWES.COM FREE SITE! MAKE SURE TO REGISTER!!! THEY ALSO HAVE ALL SORTS OF "FREE' PLANS IDEAS ETC...GOOD LUCK !! "HOME DEPOT",I'M SURE HAS THE SAME !
GOOD LUCK !!
~OOO~

I'd start with a 3 bag declutter with your son - any clutter will make the room look even smaller. Go through the closet and every shelf and cupboard and sort into 'Give away', (to friends, family or the charity shop - anything he doesn't use/has grown out of), 'Put away' (anything he doesn't use but insists on keeping - can be stored in a box in another area, ?garage, and maybe disposed off later), and 'Throw away' (anything broken or stained, general rubbish). 14 is a good age to be getting rid of all his 'childish' toys/books/little plastic freebie toys, etc. Allowing him to sell things he doesn't want on e bay would be a great incentive for him to declutter!

Once you have removed everything you can then look at the layout. Can you rearrange the furniture to make the room appear bigger? A bookcase against the bottom of the bed uses that wasted space. He is at an age now where he may be looking for a quiet area for serious study. Have you thought about one of those 'raised beds' with a ladder and a desk/storage/study area underneath? Here in Australia you can buy these with a tubular steel frame in the primary colours he likes quite cheaply. Any dual purpose furniture in a small room is a bonus.

Present storage/shelving may be adequate once you get rid of the clutter. Start with the bed as it takes up the largest space in the room and get bedlinen which is all one colour, (no busy patterns), e.g. red or yellow or blue, and matching curtains. Choose one of the other colours and paint all the furniture, including the bed if you can, so they match. This will co-ordinate the room so it doesn't look so jumbled. Keep wall decoration to a minimum, e.g. one or two large posters, rather than a jumble of smaller things.

Have all your son's stuff on shelves or in drawers/cupboards/containers - nothing rowed on the flat surfaces in the room, or on the floor! LOL! Separate his clothes into summer/winter and store the off season clothes in a box in the closet.

I assume you've thought of trying to find somewhere else for your summer clothes/linens, e.g. linens could be stored under the mattress of the beds they will be used on. Have you used space/vacuum bags for these things? They are protective and will give more room.

Regards

Jo

Regards

Jo

For some awesome helpful tips, search for "dorm room decorating/organizing ideas" on the net. Because dorm rooms are usually very small, there are some really good ideas out there on how to make a small bedroom useful and cute. However, I agree with the previous poster, you HAVE to de-junk the room before you start anything. That activity alone will make a huge difference in the space and look of your son's room. Also, you can often have someone build a loft or find instructions on how to build one yourself in order to raise the bed up for space underneath like a bunk bed.

Some of the other posters suggested a loft bed or a "raised bed", which would basically double the space that was originally taken up by the bed itself. Putting the study area under the loft bed was also a great previous suggestion. If you can't do this, at least you could buy a set of four bed risers, which I use in my own bedroom. They are about five inches high and they greatly increase the storage space under the bed. I have seen them for under $15.00 in Bed, Bath and Beyond Stores and also in some catalogs like Harriet Carter and Miles Kimball, etc.
In terms of decorating themes, a red, white, and blue Americana theme is always a classic, or how about a racing or NASCAR-type theme, with black and white checkered fabric and trim colors of red, yellow, or green, like the colors of traffic lights. I have seen decorating ideas for teen bedrooms on shows like Decorating Cents and Design on a Dime, two shows on HGTV where the budgets are $500 and $1000 per room, respectively. However, you can incorporate some of their ideas much less expensively. Also, the HGTV.com website may be of help. Good luck! Tori

By (Guest Post)

Since your boy is 14, he's coming into his own. He should be involved every step of the way from the weeding out of clutter, to picking out things to go in. He may not realize it right this moment, but his room should inspire him everytime he goes in there. Pictures of good times, accomplishements, places of honour to put ribbons and tophies, posters etc. I just painted my 16 year olds room, then left the decorating up to him. It's coming along and doing well, and it's all his. Pride in ownership hopefully helps them to keep it cleaner. You may not have much floor space, and organizing may be the bigger part of this job, but you've got walls.

My son will be turning 16 in April and I would like to redecorate his bedroom, but am not very creative. He is very mild-mannered. Please help with ideas.

Thanks.

Janice

I'm 16 years old and I'm re-doing my room, I love lime green and I saw somewhere lime green walls with blue carpet and I loved it, but my parents said I can't change my carpet because it's pretty much new. The room I'm in now the carpet is hunter green and the walls are white (boring). I'm not sure of what color walls would look good with the hunter green carpet so if you have any ideas please let me know.

Answers

Hi-Since you liked the lime green And blue combo so well why not ask your mom if you can do two walls in lime green,and two in an icy, almost white shade of blue.or , if you prefer two lime green-which would be a good combo with the hunter green carpet, and two in a warm neutral shade like cream? - Colleen

My children's rooms have a hunter green carpet & the walls are painted pale yellow. Looks sharp! You could then add the lime green that you like so much by using throw pillows or other decorative accents. I like this combination because so much goes with it - by choosing the right shades & the right accents you can use several colors, i.e rose, ivory, pale blue, etc. Good luck!

I'm 13 and I am moving. My room will be 13x12. I need some help decorating and help with a color. I have a desk, a chair, a double bed, and a fish tank. I also have a walk in closet.

Nia

I am 15 and my room has light blue walls with no border on it, but I am now a fan of pink, but I don't just want my walls to be pink and boring I want some enlightment in it. But instead of pink I was also thinking about putting my walls as clouds and the border as moons, suns, and stars.

I hate my walls being plain so I put posters of famous people and pictures of my friends on my walls. Also on my wall I have an erase board.

I have a single bed and I get tired of the same boring sheets. My blinds are just purple. Please help me! I want my room to be more exciting and I want my friends to come in my room and say "Wow your room is cute!" I go to my friends' houses and their rooms are so cute and colorful and decorated with lots of cute things. Please help me make my boring room into a exciting and fun one!
Kelly

Does anyone have any good teen bedroom ideas? My favourite colour is blue. I am not a girly girl. I was thinking about putting a fish tank in there but am not sure.

Thanks.