Hanging Curtains Over Vertical Blinds

Category Curtains
A window treatment of vertical blinds and curtains.
While probably the most practical window treatment solution for large areas such as sliding doors, they are not easy to cover with curtains because of the depth of their valances. This is a guide about hanging curtains over vertical blinds.

What can I do about my vertical blinds? I have my own place (yay), but my office has these awful vertical blinds! I'm allowed to take them down since I own the place, but the window is 79 inches across and 50 inches long and I have no clue how I would cover that up! They stick out 4 inches from the wall and I have no clue how I'd put curtains up over them, but I'd still like to! I'd appreciate any tips and tricks!

Please be sure to be as detailed as possible. Thanks.

By Jennie from Tempe, AZ

Anonymous
Best Answer

I also have vertical blinds. There are special rods that jet out another two to four inches further than the blind brackets do and you simply hang them just above the existing window blind brackets. I found my curtain rod (twelve foot expandable because I have double sliding glass doors) at Penney's.

One more thing, definitely keep those verticals! They greatly help save energy by closing them when it's extremely cold or hot out.

I want to cover my verticals with drapes/curtains for the holidays. The valance comes out 7 inches, any suggestions on what I can use? I'm getting desperate the holidays coming quickly. Thank you.

By Diane

I live in an apartment with vertical blinds that I'm not allowed to remove. Any ideas on how to hang curtains in front of them since the blinds stick out so far from the wall?

By Danielle from IA

Answers:

Hanging Curtains Over Vertical Blinds

1. Measure your window. Measure the width, and then the length.

2. Choose curtains that are full length, and lined. Purchase curtains that are about 3 inches longer than your door. Thus, if your door is 72 inches long, then 75 inch long curtains is what you will need.

3. Purchase a curtain rod, about 2 inches longer than the width of your door. Thus, if your window is 50 inches wide, your curtain rod needs to be 52 inches long.

4. Purchase curtain rings, with clips, to match your curtain rods. You will need at least a dozen, depending upon the size of your window and the style curtain you have.

5. Measure again, and place a mark about 4 inches above and 2 inches outside the top corners of your blinds, on each end. Screw your curtain rod supports into the wall at each mark.

6. Place the center support for the curtain rod in the center of the window, also about 4 inches above the vertical blind.

7. Clip the rings to the top of the curtain, at equal intervals. Slide the rings onto the curtain rod.

8. Set the curtain rod on top of the supports and adjust the curtain.

Good luck. (12/22/2009)

By kffrmw88

Hanging Curtains Over Vertical Blinds

If your vertical blinds stick as far out as the ones on my patio door, the standard curtain rod brackets won't stick out far enough. The vertical blinds in the bedrooms are mounted inside the window frames. Here if I buy a curtain rod and drapes the maintenance man can take the vertical blinds out and put the other rod up for me, but when I got to pricing stuff for a patio door, I decided to put up with the vertical blinds. (12/22/2009)

By redhatterb

Hanging Curtains Over Vertical Blinds

You could buy a ceiling mount curtain rod (they sell them at J C Penney's) and then you would have drapes that hang from the ceiling to the floor. (12/23/2009)

By Patty Lynn

Hanging Curtains Over Vertical Blinds

I have a patio room in our house and our windows have the honeycomb blinds. When the blinds are up we have no privacy. I found a web site that sells tension rods for half the price of what the stores sell them for since I needed 15 tension rods. I put the lace curtains on the rods and put the rods behind the blinds. The blinds still go up and down with no problem and now we have our privacy. Go to www.curtainandbathoutlet.com. for some great prices. (12/27/2009)

By sabrinadog