Repairing Bubbles in Formica Countertop

Category Miscellaneous
Heat or humidity can cause the adhesive holding down your laminate countertop to fail and cause bubbles or lifting. This is a guide about repairing bubbles in Formica countertop.

I left my pottery clay in a kitchen trash bag on the kitchen counter made of Formica type surface (remember I am in Germany). It caused the counter surface to make tiny bubbles. I am a renter so this is a costly error, can anyone help me?
Thanks so much.

By Bushy from Stuttgart, Germany

Answers

Anonymous

The formica is glued on. Where the bubbles are, the glue is no longer adhering to the formica. You should be able to solve the problem with heat and a heavy, flat object to weigh it down.

First you can try using a blow dryer to heat (but not scorch) the area, then while it is still hot, lay the weight on top for several hours. If that doesn't work, you can iron the area through a towel to heat it up, then put the weight on.

Thanks so much Fortunately. The bubbles have gone done but now I have a discoloration in the shape of the bag...all thoughts there? Thanks, B.

I have Formica counters and water has gotten thru the seams where the Formica has been joined. The wood underneath has swollen and the Formica has swollen along with it. The idea that I have is out of the box. Could the Formica be removed around the seam, the wood sanded down and some kind of inlay inserted? I am thinking of glass tile which I would use as a backsplash to provide a look that would be nice.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or help.

By Elaine from Mesa, AZ