Treating Cat with Ear Mites

Category Cats
This is a guide about treating a cat with ear mites. Ear mites are highly contagious and will cause your cat quite a bit of discomfort. If left untreated, these tiny mites can lead to serious ear infections. While some people try to treat ear mites with home remedies, it is best to seek professional treatment to avoid damage to your cat's ears.

Vets often prescribe Acarexx, a 1% solution of ivermectin, to treat parasites including ear mites. Some pet owners prefer to mix their own solution when treating their pets. This is a guide about using ivermectin to treat ear mites.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

My cat has mites in its ears. What can I do?

By Dorothy from SA

Answers

Best Answer

Hello,
I have worked for a Veterinarian for over 27 years, please take your baby to the Vet. Your Vet will take a sample of the interior of the ear and put it on a slide and look for mites.

Your Vet is the only person that can treat the mites. Over the counter medications do not work and are a waste of $$. Good Luck.

Best Answer

I know that everyone is saying take your kitty to the vet and I do agree with that! It is the best and safest option if you have the means. However personally when my kitty had ear mites I used "Lambert Kay EAR-RITE MITICIDE" for cats and kittens. I got it @ Petco for about $8. I'm sure your local petstore has something similar. It worked great! My kitty hasnt had mites since! I used damp gauze to clean out my cats ears. Obviously never EVER use Q-tips. You can also check out some videos on youtube or ehow.com on how to clean your cats ears. I found those very helpful. Hope that helps!

I have 2 cats that have been suffering from ear mites for quite sometime now, because the vet doesn't seem to know how to cure ear mites in a cat! So for all you that say, take the cat to the vet, I did already, twice, to 2 different doctors. Neither of them could kill the ear mites. My cats don't go outside, so there is no reason for them to have ear mites after getting them treated and paying around $200.00 each time for an office call, ear mite medicine, and then secondary infection medicine.

I feel very ripped off and then I call the vet and he wants me to bring both of my cats in before he will treat them for ear mites, even knowing that is what they have. I'm so mad that I spent all this money that I don't have to begin with only to be in the same situation months later!

Now I will have to start from square 1 again and try to get rid of them on my own. I shouldn't have to be doing this. I don't want to hurt my cats in any way by putting the wrong thing in their ears. I'm so frustrated from cleaning their ears with mineral oil, then my 1 cat cries while I'm massaging it into his ears and I feel so bad and hopeless! Any ideas? Please don't tell me to take them to another vet. How many vets does it take to get rid of ear mites? I've lost all faith in vets.

By Patricia w from Milwaukee, WI

Answers

I too have cats,and they have gotten ear mites, I use a few drops of lavender essential oil, a few drops of tea tree oil in a few drops of olive oil or mineral oil and this has worked on my dogs I have 5 and my cats I have 3! My husband was born and grew up in Milwaukee. Loves it still! I mentioned this to another response, sorry! These products are available at WalMart and almost all drugstores!

Our cat had ear mites, the vet said to use revolution it is a flea and tick liquid med that you use on them it also helps with a number of worms, keeps them from getting them. It seemed to help our cat you might give it a try. Hope this helps some.

What do I do?

Answers

I have used a Q-tip dipped in apple cider vinegar to clean my dog and cat's ears before. You can try this. Otherwise see your vet and get a cream for this. You might even be able to find a cream at your local market.

Does anyone have a homemade recipe to use for ear mites?

By Patty Hunt

Answers

Ear mites are hard to get rid of. You will need the Vet. Revolution flea treatment gets rid of them.

But you need to get it from the Vet. Ear mites can progress to where they effect you cats brain, and then you are really in trouble. Fix it while you can.

My cat has ear mites and I can't afford a vet. I need a good home remedy. Is garlic and olive oil best to use and how do I do it?

By Mary

Is there a home treatment for ear mites in kittens (11 weeks old)? I recently adopted a kitten and just checked her ears and noticed they are very black with ear wax.

I cleaned them as good as I could, but they still need more cleaning. Is there any kind of home remedy for ear mites?

By Cricket from Parkton, NC

Answers:

Treating Cat with Ear Mites

An excellent homemade ear mite treatment is to get some olive oil (maybe a 1/3 cup) and chop up some garlic cloves (maybe 3,4, or 5 cloves). Let the chopped up garlic cloves sit in the olive oil for a few hours so the garlic saturates the olive oil. (It's the garlic that kills the ear mites). Get an eye dropper and suck up the olive oil only. Put a few drops in each ear. Massage the ear from the outside.

After a few hours wash out the kitten's ears with ear cleaner solution or warm water. Do not use a Q-tip, but wrap your pinkie finger with a Kleenex to clean our the ears. A lot of junk will come up. I use the garlic olive oil all the time on my dogs whenever they start scratching their ears or shaking their head. It works great and saves me money. (11/28/2009)

By Ce

Treating Cat with Ear Mites

I have worked for a Veterinarian for over 27 years. There is not a home remedy for ear mites. Please take your fur baby to his Vet for an exam and if it is ear mites, your Dr. will prescribe the proper medication. Good luck. (11/30/2009)

By Sherri

I need tips/home remedies to treat ear mites in cats. Thanks.

By Sherri Lile from MO

Answers:

Treating Cat with Ear Mites

Ivemectin sold for horses at the feed and seed stores will kill mites. Also tea tree oil sold in drugstores will kill them. (09/06/2009)

By Paul Wilson

Treating Cat with Ear Mites

Tea Tree Oil is very toxic to cats, if he gets it in his mouth it could kill him. I love Tea Tree Oil, but cats do not. I would go to the vet for a bottle of drops to put in the ears, it is much simpler. Robyn (09/07/2009)

By Robyn Fed

Treating Cat with Ear Mites

As odd as it sounds, I accidentally discovered that Purell works. When I found my cat, she had them to the extent her ears and head were bald. The medications from the vet's did nothing, and one day I accidentally gooshed some Purell on her while sanitizing my hands after handling her.

The next day a lot of the symptoms were gone, so I started placing a small bit on my finger and massaging it inside of her ears. After a few days they were gone and her hair had started growing back. You must be careful that they cannot lick this, but since it was in her ears I did not expect her to.

I also can confirm that a friend of mine tried this after I persuaded her to, and her cat's mites were cleared after a few days. (09/09/2009)

By Jarron

Treating Cat with Ear Mites

I make up our own "medicine" and use it regularly to clean the 6 kittycats' ears that we have now. We have one, our son has 5. They are completely indoor kitties, so once the ear mites are gone, we only have to use this solution to keep the ears clean about once or twice a month. If your cat goes outside, you'll have to watch it carefully and do a repeat when necessary. Just keeping the oil in the ears will help deter the mites from coming back. They do not like it. Our medication is completely harmless, but do keep it in the ears and not on the face and eyes.

Mix equal parts of olive oil or sweet oil with hydrogen peroxide and rubbing alcohol (70% only). 1 oz. oil, 1 oz. hydrogen peroxide, 1 oz. alcohol. Use a cotton ball to do the cleaning, but if the cat has ear mites, you might need to apply it with a dropper, and massage it deep into the ears. Don't try to put anything sharp down into the ears. That would hurt and possibly injure the cat. Apply this medication at least twice a day for a week or more. Afterward, keep a close watch on the ears to make sure the mites are no longer there, leaving their black "dirt" around.

Ear Mites can be one of the most painful and irritating things that can happen to our pets, and we can help. I never got anything from a vet that helped at all. An old lady told me about it, and I've been using it now for about 40 years. It works and works without doing any damage.

Just plain old olive oil helps keep the ears nice and clean when rubbed on and into the ears with a cotton ball. Good luck. You are a good person to care about the poor cat and be willing to help her/him. One day people are going to be very sorry at the way we are allowing our animals to be treated. What goes around, comes around.

All the best to you.

Julia in Coconut Creek, FL (09/09/2009)

By Julia

Treating Cat with Ear Mites

Just take your baby to a vet, get a prescription and follow the doctor's orders religiously and they'll be gone. You don't want to mess around with home remedies because you're risking precious time cause those mites will eventually enter the inner ear and can cause deafness. (09/09/2009)

By Ann

Treating Cat with Ear Mites

Hello, I have worked for a veterinarian for over 27 years. Please take your cat to his /her Dr. Your vet will take a sample and put it on a slide and check it for mites. There is not any over the counter product that will help your fur baby. He or she needs medication from a veterinarian to be rid of this problem. Good luck. (09/09/2009)

By Sherri

Treating Cat with Ear Mites

Go to your local Ace Hardware Store and tell them what you are looking for. They will take you straight to a medicine called Happy Jack mitex pesticidal is written below in smaller letters. We save stray cats from death row and find them new homes here in western NC mountain area. I do not recall what it costs, but I am sure with me and the Mr. both being on Social Security as our only source of income it was no more then $10.00. Instructions on how to use it are on the bottle.

We used it on 5 of the strays (and had some left in the bottle) and their ear mites were taken care of. I heard about this from our local vet. I am sure that if you do not have local ACE Hardware store there, you could buy it on line. Goggle it (Happy Jack mitex pesticidal) you may be surprised. Good luck and keep us in the know on the ear mite situation and what you do do. (09/09/2009)

By Paula Jo C.

Treating Cat with Ear Mites

I would never "self-treat" this. Go to your Vet, they will do a swab and give you the correct medicine.

Jennifer from Northern VA (09/16/2009)

By Jennifer Nelson