Treating a Dog for Ear Mites

Category Health
It is best to confirm with your vet that your pet does in fact have mites. Then using a medication and cleaning should remedy the problem. Untreated mites can cause your dog pain from scratching and distress. This is a guide about treating a dog for ear mites.

Vets often prescribe Acarexx, a 1% solution of ivermectin, to treat parasites including ear mites. Some pet owners prefer to mix their own solution when treating their pets. This is a guide about using ivermectin to treat ear mites.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

My dog has had ear mites for a while and we have tried many remedies and in store products to get rid of them. Now she has bumps on top of her head under her skin; is it mites? If so, how is it gonna effect her?

By TE

Answers

Best Answer

Hello...
I have been a Veterinary Technician for over 20 years. Over the counter ear mite medication DOES NOT work. Please take your fur baby to the Veterinarian. Your Vet will prescribe the correct medication to rid your poor baby of ear mites. Please have this done ASAP, as there could be an underlying problem with the "bumps".... good luck

How do I get rid of dog ear mites?

By Marilyn Steckly

Answers

Best Answer

Hello,
Are you sure they are mites? Please go to your Veterinarian and have him/her take a slide and diagnose exactly what they are.

If there are mites your vet has to treat them. There is not an over the counter medication to treat them. I have worked for a Vet for over 20 years. Good luck.

How will I know if my dog has ear mites, or a yeast infection, or just very dirty waxy ears? I clean his ears with Ear Cleanse at least twice a week, but the wax build-up is still very bad.

He shakes his head all the time, but scratches his ears only a very small amount. The wax is black/brown, very sticky, and very thick. Some parts are very dry, and some parts are very oily.

By David from Mooresville, NC

Answers

Anonymous
Best Answer

If you do not have the money to take your dog to the vet you could call and ask. Or if you have a groomer they will be able to tell. Mine told me my dog had yeast and now I used vinegar and water women's douche on his ears. Put a little on cotton ball rub around outside of ear, then drop a little inside and rub ear.

The dog will shake loose what is in ear and the black and red will go away. Good luck. I wish we all had the $ to go to the vets every time we thought something was wrong w/our family members but w/the economy the way it is it is just not affordable.

Best Answer

One of mine [a recent rescue pup] had the same problem and the Vet found that her ear was badly infected to the point that the canal was swollen shut! She was having teeth removed under anesthetic, so he was able to clean her ear out and sent her home with Mometamax ointment to be used for a month. She's 100% better and still has 2½ weeks to go on the medication. One happy pup!

My dog has ear mites that the vet diagnosed. I'm treating him with drops. I have two questions; first, how and what do I clean to make sure they are all gone from the house? Second, is it wise to for him to be in bed with me at all ever again? I love my little guy and he cries now that I put him on the floor.

By Cameo