Browsing: Keeping Bugs from Coming in The House

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Keeping Bugs from Coming in The House

Keeping bugs from getting into your house can be a challenge. This is a guide about keeping bugs from coming in the house.

February 20, 2017 Flag

A Rolly-Polly rolled up on a table.

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Rolly pollies can come inside through quite small openings. This is a guide about rolly-pollies in the house

February 9, 2017 Flag

How do I stop them from entering the house?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Stink bugs nest indoors over the winter, but must make their way outdoors again to live. But this is why you generally find them indoors and active in the fall and early spring.

If you have a very old, drafty home, it will be very hard preventing them from coming in but you can do your best by simply hoovering them down when you see them most active. This should prevent them from nesting over the winter.

You would have to seal up all cracks, probably bomb (so that the ones already inside don't reproduce). To kill them, mix up soapy water in a spray bottle and spray them.

From WikiHow: Seal your doors and windows. ...

Place protective screens over air vents. ...

Patch up any holes. ...

Rub window screens with dryer sheets. ...

Collect the bugs on a damp towel outside. ...

Kill a few bugs outside. ...

Control your weeds. ...

Attract stink bug predators.

Those little stinkers seem to get in all the time. You could make sure the seams of your doors and windows are free of gaps, and don't leave door open for long. If any get in, I scoop them onto a piece of paper and escort them out the door rather then squish them inside.

April 12, 2006 Flag

No-seeum season is about to happen up here in northern New England, and I'm getting nervous. These tiny bugs fly through my screens at night and bite the heck out me while I'm asleep. They don't touch my husband! They bite me mercilessly and I often get covered with ugly bites and then scars on my arms and legs. Does anyone have any advice about how to *prevent* them from coming in through the screens on warm spring and summer nights? I live in a rural area with ponds and streams all around, so there's no stopping their breeding around the house. HELP!

Sylviecyn from Vermont

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have read that AVONs Skini so soft bath oil is a great no-seeum repelant

you apply in in a thin film (like bug spray lotion)

try it and let us know if it works

We live up north and no-seeums can be awful. I had to keep my little man indoors when he was younger because they would bite him around the back of his ears and even drew blood. This friend of mine told me about Watkins bug repellent and so we gave it a try. It works excellent. Even my husband was shocked to see no-seeums roll off my arms when they tried to land. We do a lot of camping and I don't leave home without it anymore. I've only tried the cream version that watkins sells but I see they have a spray now. I think I would even consider spraying some on my bedroom window screen at night.

You can also spray your screens with Skin So Soft. There's something about the smell of it that insects don't like. We used to get gnats in the house, until I started spraying my screens with Skin So Soft once a week.

These things suck your blood right? I know this because every time one of the tiny black SOB's lands on me I get a welt. One surefire way to keep them off of you is to shoot your BAC through the roof. Every time I go to bed sober I wake up with bites, but never after I've been drinking. Think about it.

Avon's skin so soft insect repelant is great and the bath oil works great too. Bugs repel themselves from it cause they don't like the smell.

I've found that Lavender power/soap/lotions work well against these buggers. Also, 1/2 part vinegar + 1/2 part water sprayed on bedsheets, ankles, elbows or anywhere else they bite helps. Believer it or not, swallowing 1 tablespoon of this vinegar solution cuts down on CO2 which attracts them. God bless

August 8, 2013 Flag

Right now our AC is torn up and we are having to sleep with our bedroom windows open and fans in them. But when I go to lay down I have bugs flying all over bugging the life outta me. If that's not bad enough they're in, on, and under my cover annoying me. What can I do to keep them outside and out of my bed? I really need help. I need a great home remedy and something other than saying close the window.

By Lisa M

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Mosquito netting arranged like a tent over your bed, surrounding you. Maybe hang it from hooks on the ceiling.

Do you not have screens in your windows? If not, that is the answer to your problem.

Hi - I did have a similar problem many years ago and the only solution I found was to find some gauze like material and cover the fan (all openings) on the inside or the outside.

Mine covered the outside from bottom to top over the ac and attached to the window and window sill. I used tape to secure the material but some types of tape are very difficult to remove after they have been applied for a period of time. Material will have to be checked often and replaced when "dirty" with bugs.

This will give you a little less ac air but it did solve the insect problem.

Gauze cannot be too thick as no air can be pulled through by your ac and that might burn up the AC. This worked better than some plastic screen material.

Bugs will continue to come in through the ac unit if some type of cover is not present to stop them. It does not matter if the ac is on or off.

I did read where someone solved this problem by covering the complete outside of the window and ac with this type of material. May be overkill but?

Your local Lowe's or Home-depot may have some suggestions or try Goggling your question as you are not the only one with this type of problem.

July 9, 2013 Flag

My terrace has an overgrown tree close to the screen which blows insects onto the terrace and into my apt. I am spraying the screen with vinegar, but it is not a complete remedy. I have a monthly extermination service, but no relief. I have even found tiny insects in my denture water. Thanks.

By Julie C.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Vinegar, in my experience, does nothing to repel insects. And it certainly doesn't have any lasting effect. If these insects are so tiny that they get through the screen, I am not sure what else you could do other than close the doors and windows. Are you sure you don't have fruit flies? They grow in your house in places like recycle bins with juice boxes and pop cans, fruit bowls, etc.

October 26, 2013 Flag

I have a very close tree infesting my terrace screen with insects, which come into my apt. How can I be rid of the insects? The condo management will not take the tree away. Trimming and spraying helps, but never solves the problem.

By Julie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try spraying the screen with Avons Skin so soft. That stuff works like magic on insects. They hate it.

May 28, 2013 Flag

I have an outdoor terrace tree that blows, insects into my condo and I believe mites as well. I have monthly extermination, but it has been no help. How can I keep my apt. clean and void of this problem? I spray the screen with vinegar and insect spray, but it is only a temporary fix for a day or two. Live in Florida which makes it a year round problem. I have been to the emergency room twice because of insect bites. Lawyers want a retainer with no guarantee of success. Thanks.

By Julie C. from Tamarac. FL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Pest Control AdviceAugust 16, 2013
Smashed bugs on front of car
Cleaning Love Bugs from Cars
Removing Bugs from Your Car
Removing Bugs from Your Car
A Rolly-Polly rolled up on a table.
Rolly-Pollies in Your House
Tiny Orange Bug
Getting Rid of Tiny Orange Biting Bugs
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 27, 2017 at 11:31:55 AM on 10.0.2.205 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.