Keeping Bugs from Coming in The House

Keeping bugs from getting into your house can be a challenge. This is a guide about keeping bugs from coming in the house.

Housefly.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

No-seeum season is about to happen up here in northern New England, and I'm getting nervous. These tiny bugs fly through my screens at night and bite the heck out me while I'm asleep. They don't touch my husband! They bite me mercilessly and I often get covered with ugly bites and then scars on my arms and legs. Does anyone have any advice about how to *prevent* them from coming in through the screens on warm spring and summer nights? I live in a rural area with ponds and streams all around, so there's no stopping their breeding around the house. HELP!

Sylviecyn from Vermont

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

In RE: Keeping Bugs from Coming in The House. Try not to wear any perfumes or scents as I have found that bugs are attracted to scents. Hope this help you to not get bit. Also use unscented soaps.

Read More Answers...

Right now our AC is torn up and we are having to sleep with our bedroom windows open and fans in them. But when I go to lay down I have bugs flying all over bugging the life outta me. If that's not bad enough they're in, on, and under my cover annoying me. What can I do to keep them outside and out of my bed? I really need help. I need a great home remedy and something other than saying close the window.

By Lisa M

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi - I did have a similar problem many years ago and the only solution I found was to find some gauze like material and cover the fan (all openings) on the inside or the outside.

Mine covered the outside from bottom to top over the ac and attached to the window and window sill. I used tape to secure the material but some types of tape are very difficult to remove after they have been applied for a period of time. Material will have to be checked often and replaced when "dirty" with bugs.

This will give you a little less ac air but it did solve the insect problem.

Gauze cannot be too thick as no air can be pulled through by your ac and that might burn up the AC. This worked better than some plastic screen material.

Bugs will continue to come in through the ac unit if some type of cover is not present to stop them. It does not matter if the ac is on or off.

I did read where someone solved this problem by covering the complete outside of the window and ac with this type of material. May be overkill but?

Your local Lowe's or Home-depot may have some suggestions or try Goggling your question as you are not the only one with this type of problem.

Read More Answers...

My terrace has an overgrown tree close to the screen which blows insects onto the terrace and into my apt. I am spraying the screen with vinegar, but it is not a complete remedy. I have a monthly extermination service, but no relief. I have even found tiny insects in my denture water. Thanks.

By Julie C.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Vinegar, in my experience, does nothing to repel insects. And it certainly doesn't have any lasting effect. If these insects are so tiny that they get through the screen, I am not sure what else you could do other than close the doors and windows. Are you sure you don't have fruit flies? They grow in your house in places like recycle bins with juice boxes and pop cans, fruit bowls, etc.

I have a very close tree infesting my terrace screen with insects, which come into my apt. How can I be rid of the insects? The condo management will not take the tree away. Trimming and spraying helps, but never solves the problem.

By Julie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try spraying the screen with Avons Skin so soft. That stuff works like magic on insects. They hate it.

How do you get rid of rolly pollies in the house? I live in Texas, so it's pretty hot, but the A/C is always running. This is the first time any of us have been hit with rolly pollies. Any suggestions?

By Rita from San Antonio, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Pest Control AdviceAugust 16, 2013
Fly on Blade of Grass
Keeping Bugs Away When Sitting Outdoors
Smashed bugs on front of car
Cleaning Love Bugs from Cars
Removing Bugs from Your Car
Removing Bugs from Your Car
Tiny Orange Bug
Getting Rid of Tiny Orange Biting Bugs
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 25, 2016 at 4:51:51 PM on 10.0.1.204 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.