Keeping Children Safe in Crowds

Crowded places can be very disconcerting for parents. This is a guide about keeping children safe in crowds.

I have raised four kids, and I was a foster parent for 15 years. One of the things that I came up with when taking kids on day trips was to write my cell number on their arms in ink. That way, if they got lost or separated from me, they could have someone call me. They didn't have to worry about losing a piece of paper, and it was a little extra insurance with little ones who were too young to talk or learn my phone number!

Source: Just came up with it trying to keep the kids safe!

I'm sorry but I don't agree with this. As a parent, I would write our phone number on the inside of our children's collar and inside their shirt on the bottom hem. Another place you can write your phone number is the tongue of their shoe. Writing your phone number on their arm raises the possibility of someone with bad intentions of getting your phone number.

When my children were young, I used to dress them in the same color clothing anytime we would plan to be out in a large crowd. We all know how little ones can get excited at theme parks or even in a crowded mall and almost disappear before our eyes. It's so much easier to keep track of them when they're all wearing the same color clothing.

With summer coming up and lots to be done, it's easy for us, and our children to become distracted. This tip may help relieve some of the stress, while keeping our kids a little safer.

By Laurie from TN

So many people dress in red during the holidays, by using another color, you'd be able to keep track of your family alot quicker.

I just read the tip about dressing kids in all one color shirt when in big crowds. I'm a foster mom and mom, and when I take kids to someplace with lots of people or opportunity to get separated, I write my cell phone number in ink on each child's arm so if they get lost, they can have someone call me! Thankfully we've never had to use it, but it's nice to know they have my number if they need it! A piece of paper can easily be misplaced, an arm, hopefully not so much!

Another thing I do if I have numerous young children at a zoo or similar place is I'll take a lightweight rope along. I tie knots in it, spaced about three feet apart. Each child hangs onto a knot (alternating a child on the right, then the left, so they don't trip on each other!). Nice way to keep everyone together and keep the troops moving!

By bzladi from Storm Lake, IA

I really like the idea of writing the cell number on their arm.

This is more of a safety tip than a thrifty tip! With back to school, here, don't label your child's belongings with his name where strangers can see it. Put his name inside his things. If a small child is addressed by name by a stranger, the stranger seems "known" to the child.

We are going to Disney World in three weeks, and I am wondering if anybody has some suggestions on how to keep track of a wandering toddler. My son is 2 1/2 and is as fast as a rocket and inquisitive. (He just escaped out my front door - what a scare!). I have heard about wearing bright shirts. Did anybody put ID on their children? How? What are your thoughts on harnesses? I'd like to say he'd stay in the stroller but he's at the age where he wants to do things himself. All your suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Kelly from Bensalem, PA

I used to think that baby harnesses were awful and only bad parents would need them. ha But after visiting DisneyWorld I don't see how parents of toddlers could do without them. Even good parents and good kids!

Harnesses are great! A good parent would use one instead of putting an active child in a stroller not being able to explore.

It bothers me to hear your concern going to such a busy place but, anyway use the stroller with baby strapped in. You must have your mind and senses alert, even thou, it is meant to be a place for fun. These sick preditors have no mercy and thrive on carelessness and any unaware party. I'm not trying to rain on your parade but please think of the unthinkable and keep that baby safe please.

Use the harness. Write a tag on yarn necklace and put it inside his shirt (or pin it inside his shirt) each day. Bring plenty of these necklaces, as they do get wet, etc. Write his name, age, birthdate, your names, address where you are staying, home address, phone number to contact you, on the tag. Take along a recent photo of him in your pocket. Give him a whistle to blow if he loses you. Make note of what he is wearing and keep the note in with the photo. Tell him to find a Mickey Mouse (or other costumed character) if he is lost. Make sure he knows his full name and yours, too. Address, too, if he can memorize it. Teach him that if someone he doesn't know tries to take him, it's okay to kick that person and try to get away while shouting, "This is not my Mom. This is not my Dad."

I have an escape artist, too. Many people express their opinions of some things we do to keep him safe, but I don't care if they don't like it--my son is still around, thank God, despite himself!

I have been to Disney several times with my children. There is a great product called "whos shoes ID...a tag that attaches to the toddler's shoes. A toddler can be taught to show somebody their shoe and ask somebody to contact their parents. Another thing we did was to make sure that our daughter knew what her Daddy's cell pone number was, and what a cast member (Disney worker)'s tag looks like. We often played "find somebody who works here" where she had to find as many people who were safe to talk to. The other thing that we told her was to "find another mommy with little girls like you" and ask for help. Chances are a mother with small children would be more likely to help her find help than to hurt her. We have never had a problem yet, but I have seen one panicked parent in tears talking to security, and that was enough to scare me!

A friend of mine is going to Disneyland with her three kids, 7, 5 and 8 months. She weighed all the options and got each of her kids ID bracelets with both parent's cell phone number printed on them. She got them online from a medical ID bracelet site and they were pretty cheap, I believe.

Have a great time.

Jess

I have also seen people put jingle bells on their kids' shoes, so that they can be HEARD. But I don't think having them on a leash of sorts some of the time would do them any harm - much less than getting lost!

I used to be appalled at the idea of a child on a leash when I was a young mom. Now that I'm older and all the kids are grown and I have grandbabies that can sprint faster than the speed of light, I'd never go to a place like Disney World without a leash! Put it on your child and to you know where with what people say or think! It's your child, not theirs. What they think, is their business.