Keeping Children Safe in Crowds

Children watching a show at a park.
Crowded places can be very disconcerting for parents. This is a guide about keeping children safe in crowds.

I have raised four kids, and I was a foster parent for 15 years. One of the things that I came up with when taking kids on day trips was to write my cell number on their arms in ink. That way, if they got lost or separated from me, they could have someone call me. They didn't have to worry about losing a piece of paper, and it was a little extra insurance with little ones who were too young to talk or learn my phone number!

Source: Just came up with it trying to keep the kids safe!

Read 4 Comments

When my children were young, I used to dress them in the same color clothing anytime we would plan to be out in a large crowd. We all know how little ones can get excited at theme parks or even in a crowded mall and almost disappear before our eyes. It's so much easier to keep track of them when they're all wearing the same color clothing.

With summer coming up and lots to be done, it's easy for us, and our children to become distracted. This tip may help relieve some of the stress, while keeping our kids a little safer.

By Laurie from TN

Read 2 Comments

This is more of a safety tip than a thrifty tip! With back to school, here, don't label your child's belongings with his name where strangers can see it. Put his name inside his things. If a small child is addressed by name by a stranger, the stranger seems "known" to the child.

Teach your children about "good" strangers, i.e. policemen, the store checkers and people who work in stores and wear uniforms or store badges, vs. strangers who are none of these. We want to encourage careful children not fearful ones.

Teach your child that these are people he/she can go to in an emergency. In a public venue, if a child is lost, have them look for an officer or an older woman or a woman with kids, who is most likely to help. And lastly, if the unthinkable happens and your child is snatched, tell them to drop to the ground, try to get away and scream and make noise and yell "I don't know this person, I'm being kidnapped" Otherwise your child can look like a kid having a tantrum!

By Linda

Read 5 Comments

I just read the tip about dressing kids in all one color shirt when in big crowds. I'm a foster mom and mom, and when I take kids to someplace with lots of people or opportunity to get separated, I write my cell phone number in ink on each child's arm so if they get lost, they can have someone call me! Thankfully we've never had to use it, but it's nice to know they have my number if they need it! A piece of paper can easily be misplaced, an arm, hopefully not so much!

Another thing I do if I have numerous young children at a zoo or similar place is I'll take a lightweight rope along. I tie knots in it, spaced about three feet apart. Each child hangs onto a knot (alternating a child on the right, then the left, so they don't trip on each other!). Nice way to keep everyone together and keep the troops moving!

By bzladi from Storm Lake, IA

Read 1 Comment

We are going to Disney World in three weeks, and I am wondering if anybody has some suggestions on how to keep track of a wandering toddler. My son is 2 1/2 and is as fast as a rocket and inquisitive. (He just escaped out my front door - what a scare!). I have heard about wearing bright shirts. Did anybody put ID on their children? How? What are your thoughts on harnesses? I'd like to say he'd stay in the stroller but he's at the age where he wants to do things himself. All your suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Kelly from Bensalem, PA

I have also seen people put jingle bells on their kids' shoes, so that they can be HEARD. But I don't think having them on a leash of sorts some of the time would do them any harm - much less than getting lost!

I used to be appalled at the idea of a child on a leash when I was a young mom. Now that I'm older and all the kids are grown and I have grandbabies that can sprint faster than the speed of light, I'd never go to a place like Disney World without a leash! Put it on your child and to you know where with what people say or think! It's your child, not theirs. What they think, is their business.

You might be interested in taking a look at the AmberStick device at www.myicedrive.com . It is a device that keeps everything you need to help authorities identify your child on a Flash USB drive on your keychain or backpack.