Keeping Couch Cushions From Sliding

Sometimes loose cushions can move when you don't want them to. This guide is about keeping couch cushions from sliding.

August 12, 2013 Flag

I love this couch and it folds out into a fantastic guest bed. I tried every trick in the book to prevent the couch cushions from slipping; rubber matting, velcro, etc., but nothing worked. This is my solution. It may not look the best but it works perfect.

The two loops of fishing rope are tied to the couch frame under the cushions at the back and keep the curtain pole in place! :) Of course you could use a darker pole and rope to match I just used what i had lying about.

While I'm here, I would just like to add that I machine wash and air dry my leather cushions with no problem.

Top Comment

You could also use shelf liner that is made from rubber, I use it for my mattresses. Also there is a rubberized rug mat that you can use. It is placed under rugs to keep them in place. Just cut the size you need and place it under the cushions.

April 28, 2015 Flag

This is a rubber/non adhesive grip liner. It's found at any hardware store with the contact paper. It worked wonders for our brand new slippery couch cushions. It won't damage furniture. Just roll it out on the base of sofa and replace cushions. Problem solved. We used 16 inch width.

Thank you for sharing. I'm going to try this on my new couch.

September 16, 2010 Flag

How do I keep my couch cushion from sliding? It came with Velcro strips, but it still slides.

By Wilma from OH

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

If possible, try Velcro on the underside of the cushions. You can buy sticky velcro, and it shouldn't show once installed.

Best Answer

There are rubber type shelf liners you can find anywhere from your local dollar store to Target to Home Depot. In the past, I've cut them up and placed them between the couch and couch cushions and wallah, no more problems. I'd go with the thicker liners over the thinner ones as they hold better. Good luck.

I've used the same thing Captionxedited is talking about and it works like a charm! I do have to mention that the word 'Wallah' should actually be 'Viola' though. ;-)

Definition of WALLAH

A person who is associated with a particular work or who performs a specific duty or service usually used in combination

Definition of VOILA

Used to call attention, to express satisfaction or approval, or to suggest an appearance as if by magic

If the shelf liner doesn't work try the carpet liner used under rugs to keep them in place. Good luck.

I too have a brand new beautiful microfiber sectional that the seat just slides out from under ya.

My fix was easy and best of all free!!! My seat cushions under side are made of the same material as the lining of the sofa. After two days of the darn things slipping after my children and I sat, I had to figure something out. I assumed that my xouch needed some type of friction to stop the slip and slide. I grabbed a scratchy type blanket folded and placed on the inside between couch and cushion. And it worked like a charm

December 14, 2007 Flag

I have a couch and love seat with cushions that slide forward when we sit on them. I've tried bed sheets, foam sheets as well as non slip rubber pantry liners. They all roll up instead of keeping cushions in place.

Jennifer from Snellville, GA

Stacey, velcro worked for me.... You can buy button sized peel and stick velcro.

After reading the comments from others on the slipping couch cushions. I had some spare rubber place mats that I found to use under the cushions. Thanks for the information. Hopefully it works..

September 16, 2010 Flag

Use 20 inch wide rubbery shelf liners under cushions to keep them from moving on furniture.

Source: A friend.

By duckie-do from Cortez, CO

They just "roll themselves" up under the cushins, and no I'm not sewing them to the leather cushins.

December 14, 2007 Flag

I have a couch that has six cushions, 3 for the back and 3 for the seat. Every time you sit they move! How can I secure them?

Sheri from Harrisburg, PA

Answers:

Couch Cushions Keep Moving

Try the no slip padding that you can buy to put under throw rugs so they won't slip on floors. (07/31/2007)

By jean

Couch Cushions Keep Moving

I had this problem with my dining room chairs until a friend suggested to be to get some under pads that are sold with throw rugs to keep them from slipping. I cut the rug sized pieces of rubber into cushion-sized pieces and it works very well to hold the cushions in place. (08/01/2007)

By Stella

Couch Cushions Keep Moving

Use Velcro. One or two strips of hook side on the couch itself, and one or two strips of loop side on the cushion. Can be hot glued on or use a stitch or two with an upholstery needle. (08/02/2007)

By Stacey

Just wanted to say I used a nonskid rug mat for rug to carpet. I placed the rubber side up. Those cushions are held so fast I can't even slide them off of I tried!

August 12, 2010 Flag

Where can I find rubber foam matting to prevent cushions from slipping off a leather sofa?

By Shama

Answers:

Cushions Slide Off Sofa

Not sure about what kind of rubber foam you are looking for, but an upholstery shop would be able to help. If you cushions are not reversible you could attach Velcro to the bottom of the cushions and the bed of the couch perhaps. Good luck. (04/12/2010)

By latrtatr

Cushions Slide Off Sofa

You might try placing the mesh looking rubbery shelving liner made by Rubber-Maid under the cushions. You can often find it on sale. I have used it to keep a cotton rag rug from slipping so much on a linoleum floor and it worked for that. Try buying just one roll to start with and if it doesn't work you can always use it for shelving or drawer liners ;-) (04/13/2010)

By Deeli

Cushions Slide Off Sofa

Try an outdoor/camping supply place like Academy Sports ( Or Sports Academy Not sure but seen them there once)they used to have all kinds of foam mats to use while camping and such. Hope this helps (04/13/2010)

By laura343

April 11, 2010 Flag

I have a sofa and love seat that the cushions slide off of whenever someone sits on it. Then I have to lift the pillowtop back to slide the cushions up under it and back into place.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Furniture RepairNovember 27, 2012
Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
Woman in Green Shirt Cleaning Glass with Squeege
Cleaning Sliding Glass Doors
Upholstered couch with soft cushions.
Making Couch Cushions Firmer
Couch Cushions Being Cleaning
Cleaning Cushions
🎉
🎄