Repairing Water Damaged Wood Furniture

Category Repair
Furniture that has been water damaged can be difficult to repair. This is a guide about repairing water damaged wood furniture.

I have water bubbles on my wood table. Is there a way to get rid of the bubbles?

Answers

Anonymous

Yes there is. I also have water bubbles on my wood desk, and all I use to get rid of them is...

1. Put a couple drops of conditioner and let it sit for 2 minutes

2. Scrub the conditioner until

Anonymous

1. Put a couple drops of conditioner on it and rub it in then let it sit for 2 minutes

2. Scrub the conditioner off, then use a wet wash cloth to get the bumbs wet , but hurry and use a dry cloth to dry the wood part that doesn't have bumbs.

3. Put a couple drops of rubbing alcohol on it and immediately scrub it off.

4. The use a credit card or something and start to scrape the bumbs and if you followed the instructions correctly it should have come off.

Anonymous

What kind of conditioner?

Anonymous

Doesnt it actually work

what is wood conditioner.

How do I repair a warped spot on a wooden desk that has a finish on it that won't cost a lot?

Answers

One simple way to do this is with wood glue, a knife and an iron.

You will cut a small slit in the warp on the desk and put some wood glue inside of this. Afterwards, heat up your iron and place a towel over the wood. Iron the area to heat it up and flatten it out.

Allow the glue to fully dry for 24 hours.

You could put heavy weight on it and leave it for a few days.

I have a very nice new oak Shaker style coffee table. My 12 year old has not been using coasters, and now I have 3 large bubbles in the wood due to moisture. How can I repair this?

By L.Blue from NM

Answers

Find a long needle syringe with the needle intact, see if your local vet can give you one, never use one that is not sterile and unused. Add some wood glue or Elmer's glue and insert under the bubble with the needle. Then add a piece of plastic wrap and a thick towel and place a brick or something that will evenly distribute weight to the area and let dry. It should work fine. Good luck.

I actually screamed when I discovered that my husband had set the table with damp place mats, put heavy dishes on them, and left several large water spots on my lovely teak wood table. i found this site and tried the iron and paper towel trick and it took most of the stain away. I think I need to do the table with Murphy's Oil Soap next. Thank you for saving his life!

Water was spilled on my night stand and my clock wasn't cleaned off properly when I put it back on the table. This morning I discovered that the table is covered in ripples and bubbles where the clock radio sat. Any tips on how I could repair this? It just looks awful.

By Emily

I have a wood coffee table that has an area 10 x 39 x 12 inches where the finish has been removed/damaged. I'm looking for an easy way to repair this area to blend in with the original finish. I am not too fussy and don't want to spend much money to finish this. I would appreciate any simple suggestions or ideas.

By ang

My husband was watering my plants and dropped water on my maple end table. Now the surface is cracked from the water damage, how can I repair it?

By Gail Vance from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I noticed that the towel I keep under my humidifier on my night stand was damp. Apparently, there's a slow leak and the wood has lost its shine and is cracked. It's a fairly new piece of furniture. How can I restore it?

Eileen from Newport, RI

Answers:

Water Damage on Wood Furniture

An old Yankee trick that has worked like a wonder for me on an varnished antique wagon trunk (that my granddaughter forgot to tell me she had used as her watercolor painting table) and a beautiful burled wood sofa table with a perfect water ring on it.

You will need to find find someone who smokes and a piece of soft cotton material. Slightly dampen the cloth and with your finger inside it pick up a small amount of the ashes on your fingertip. Using a gentle rubbing motion go back and forth with grain of wood over the damaged area. Add more ashes as needed until you have rubbed the whole area. They became white and even more damaged looking, but after it dried out both woods looked as they had prior to damage. Hope this helps.

PS. I am a former J-Towner who went to RHS in Newport. I miss "home". (06/10/2006)

By M.E.G.

Water Damage on Wood Furniture

My steam iron leaked on my dresser. When I discovered the damage, I took butter and rubbed all over the damaged area and the water mark is now gone. (02/25/2009)

By Joan

Water Damage on Wood Furniture

Try Murphys Oil soap, you may have to work it in several times then rinse and dry, but its really good stuff. (01/12/2010)

By DEBY