Repairing Water Damaged Wood Furniture

Category Repair
Furniture that has been water damaged can be difficult to repair. This is a page about repairing water damaged wood furniture.

I laid a woolen jumper flat on a double folded towel on my dining table. To my dismay this morning I found it had left a huge wet area and the varnish has lifted and feels abrasive and there are white water marks. Could anyone advise how I can repair this?

Answers

Best Answer

If the furniture peeled, it's veneer, not solid wood. You can still fix with wood resin. It comes in various colors. You have to sand the surface first. Complete instructions are here: homeguides.sfgate.com/fix-wood-table-peeling-waterdamaged...

I have water bubbles on my wood table. Is there a way to get rid of the bubbles?

Answers

Anonymous

Yes there is. I also have water bubbles on my wood desk, and all I use to get rid of them is:

1. Put a couple drops of conditioner and let it sit for 2 minutes

2. Scrub the conditioner until the bubbles are gone.

Anonymous

Yes there is. I also have water bubbles on my wood desk, and all I use to get rid of them is...

1. Put a couple drops of conditioner on it and rub it in then let it sit for 2 minutes

2. Scrub the conditioner off, then use a wet wash cloth to get the bumbs wet , but hurry and use a dry cloth to dry the wood part that doesn't have bumbs.

3. Put a couple drops of rubbing alcohol on it and immediately scrub it off.

4. The use a credit card or something and start to scrape the bumbs and if you followed the instructions correctly it should have come off.

Anonymous

What kind of conditioner?

Anonymous

Doesnt it actually work

what is wood conditioner.

I have 2 bubble up spots on my night table,the humidifier leaked out water. I dried,what kind of conditioner, wood conditioner or hair condition?

What kind of conditioner ?

How can I disguise the legs on a small table that was left in a basement and soaked up the water? All of the color is gone about 1 1/2 inches in length.

Can I stain them to make them look normal? Luckily we have a deep pile carpet so it is not that noticeable. Any help would be appreciated.

Answers

You can try to use tea to dye the rest of the leg the same color.

Yes, you can stain the table legs and choose wisely the shade/color of stain to match the rest of it. You did not mention what color the legs are presently, but you can mix stains to accomplish an exact tone if you know how to get an exact match. For example, if the legs are oak; is it red oak, ranch oak, light oak? By adding pecan stain to the oak, it will help to create the shade desired if it's oak stained. Walnut, Mahogany, Chestnut, or Cherry stain will also help touch up darker wood stain and mix a small amount and spread it over bare scrap wood to get the desired coloring.

Add light stain to dark stain if you need to lighten it up a bit. Mixing various stains together keep in mind to stay with the same brand name. If you could post a picture of the table legs, I could help you better. I've mixed stains to touch up cabinet doors, trim, and end table tops. Turned out very nice and matched up well, but then I had some art classes and learned how to look at colors and see other colors in them, so it makes the staining job easy.

Do the legs come off? If so, take one off and take it to any store that sells varnish or stain. Then you can match it to a repair pen, which is made to cover scratches or worn places. You can also sometimes cover the area with a crayon of the same color as well.

Were these painted or stained to start with?

Either way, I would dry them out well in the sun and then bring home paint (or stain) swatches to get a match then sand, and paint or stain.

You could get really creative and come up with a fun leg pattern--to paint on (if it was stain originally). There are some super cool ideas on Pinterest.

The trick here is getting the wood dry and odor free first.

Post back with the finished product!!

How do I repair a warped spot on a wooden desk that has a finish on it that won't cost a lot?

Answers

One simple way to do this is with wood glue, a knife and an iron.

You will cut a small slit in the warp on the desk and put some wood glue inside of this. Afterwards, heat up your iron and place a towel over the wood. Iron the area to heat it up and flatten it out.

Allow the glue to fully dry for 24 hours.

You could put heavy weight on it and leave it for a few days.

I have a very nice new oak Shaker style coffee table. My 12 year old has not been using coasters, and now I have 3 large bubbles in the wood due to moisture. How can I repair this?

By L.Blue from NM

Answers

Find a long needle syringe with the needle intact, see if your local vet can give you one, never use one that is not sterile and unused. Add some wood glue or Elmer's glue and insert under the bubble with the needle. Then add a piece of plastic wrap and a thick towel and place a brick or something that will evenly distribute weight to the area and let dry. It should work fine. Good luck.

I actually screamed when I discovered that my husband had set the table with damp place mats, put heavy dishes on them, and left several large water spots on my lovely teak wood table. i found this site and tried the iron and paper towel trick and it took most of the stain away. I think I need to do the table with Murphy's Oil Soap next. Thank you for saving his life!

Water was spilled on my night stand and my clock wasn't cleaned off properly when I put it back on the table. This morning I discovered that the table is covered in ripples and bubbles where the clock radio sat. Any tips on how I could repair this? It just looks awful.

By Emily

Answers

You will need to sand it down even it out and restain then varnish that area.

I have a wood coffee table that has an area 10 x 39 x 12 inches where the finish has been removed/damaged. I'm looking for an easy way to repair this area to blend in with the original finish. I am not too fussy and don't want to spend much money to finish this. I would appreciate any simple suggestions or ideas.

By ang

My husband was watering my plants and dropped water on my maple end table. Now the surface is cracked from the water damage, how can I repair it?

By Gail Vance from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I noticed that the towel I keep under my humidifier on my night stand was damp. Apparently, there's a slow leak and the wood has lost its shine and is cracked. It's a fairly new piece of furniture. How can I restore it?

Eileen from Newport, RI

Answers:

Water Damage on Wood Furniture

An old Yankee trick that has worked like a wonder for me on an varnished antique wagon trunk (that my granddaughter forgot to tell me she had used as her watercolor painting table) and a beautiful burled wood sofa table with a perfect water ring on it.

You will need to find find someone who smokes and a piece of soft cotton material. Slightly dampen the cloth and with your finger inside it pick up a small amount of the ashes on your fingertip. Using a gentle rubbing motion go back and forth with grain of wood over the damaged area. Add more ashes as needed until you have rubbed the whole area. They became white and even more damaged looking, but after it dried out both woods looked as they had prior to damage. Hope this helps.

PS. I am a former J-Towner who went to RHS in Newport. I miss "home". (06/10/2006)

By M.E.G.

Water Damage on Wood Furniture

My steam iron leaked on my dresser. When I discovered the damage, I took butter and rubbed all over the damaged area and the water mark is now gone. (02/25/2009)

By Joan

Water Damage on Wood Furniture

Try Murphys Oil soap, you may have to work it in several times then rinse and dry, but its really good stuff. (01/12/2010)

By DEBY

Home and Garden Home Improvement Furniture RepairOctober 27, 2015
🎃