Cleaning Wood Furniture

Clean all surfaces using only a damp cloth followed by a dry cloth. Use a mild soap as required.

Avoid using wax or harsh detergent. They may damage the finish.

In order to prevent fading, do not expose any furniture to extreme sources of heat or direct sunlight.

Never place pots on surfaces or electrical appliances.

Refrain from writing without a desk pad.

Avoid contact with rubber protectors or plastic place mats on items such as lamps, radios, computers, or telephones.

Keep even humidity conditions in your home to prevent splitting.

Remove spills or liquid from furniture right away.

By Mpr3ssive from New York, NY

19 More Solutions

I have a cleaning service and if I am dusting particularly dusty furniture, I like to spray orange oil on my rag, run hot water over it and wring it out.

Dip an old soft toothbrush into furniture polish and brush lightly. Then buff with a clean cloth. By Peggy

The best way I've found to clean chair and table leg or staircase spindles is to use wet dental floss. It gets into all the grooves and you can get to the dust quicker and more efficiently than by using just a cloth.

I recently bought a wood dresser which has a sort of rough finish. Whenever I pass over it with a paper towel or a micro fiber rag it tends to grab and pull the material I am wiping with (I'm using Pledge on the rags).

There is now paper towel caught in-between the grooves. Can someone recommend a type of material I should buy which won't get caught in the grooves of the wood?

Answers

Best Answer

There is nothing wrong with rough surfaces, except that they can be difficult to clean at times. However, the rustic look is very in right now! This includes some things having a rougher finish.

• As stated below, you could use a sponge to clean the rough surfaces. An old t-shirt may also work well, as the material isn't as easily caught and torn. You can even cut an old t-shirt into multiple "t-shirt rags", just be careful not to let the edges snag on the furniture while cleaning.
  • Advertisement

• You could use an old toothbrush to get in the cracks, they are good to really scrub when you need to.
  • Refinishing the furniture would eliminate the problem, but would take away the look that you seem to really like. If you can use one of the methods above to clean the furniture well and it isn't too much of a hassle for you, then no need to refinish it.

Enjoy your new dresser!

Answer this Question

We have some chairs with wooden arms and these have become dirty from use (dirty hands?). Does anyone know how to clean this black off the arms without removing all of the varnish and stain stain?

By cybergrannie from Ocala, FL

Answers

Please be careful using any type of oil in a homemade recipe. I made up a recipe using oil (besides other stuff) and it too me weeks and weeks to get the gunk off my furniture!

oil seems to attract more dirt than it removes.

If it was my chair, I would just use a regular cleaner like Mr. Clean. A cleaner such as that will not damage the varnish with occasional use. I take it you are simply trying to remove grubby fingerprints and skin oils and such that has built up over time. Don't be putting any sort of oil on it, that will just add to the gunky buildup.

I was told to use TSP but haven't tried it yet

I have a fifty year old dark pine dining room set that needs a good cleaning to make it shine again. What can I use?

I just purchased a used cherry table with a matte finish. Down the center of the table there is a high-gloss sheen. I think it may be from the previous owner using a high gloss spray oil and then realizing they should not have. Any clue what I can use to safely remove the high gloss oil from the table, without hurting the original matte finish?

The image is dark, but you can see the high gloss down the center. Ignore the fan, still looking for the right chandelier :)

Answers

Try Guardsman Furniture polish. It cleans and polishes.

I am trying to clean a filthy curio cabinet. It is just the wood. What can I use that I have around the house to clean the wood?

By Kim Hunter

Answers

If this is just wood and not pressed wood you can normally use just soap and water to clean this with. You can even use a steel wool pad to help peel off the dirt. Let it dry and give it a good coat of Old English when you're done.

Murphy's Oil Soap is great for cleaning wood.

Answer this Question

I just bought a used large desk (very shiny, nice cherry veneer) which has what looks like many oily fingerprints. I tried to use just a soft, dry rag but it didn't help a lot. I was afraid of using a wet rag or any chemicals to avoid causing damage. Any tried and safe method to clean the cherry veneer furniture without harming it? Thanks.

By Sue F. from Portland, OR

Answers

You may need to use a furniture polish on it and buff them out.

I would like to give my dining room furniture a good cleaning, what is the best cleaning method and product?

By Joan

Answers

Depends. Is it wood? Are you also talking upholstery chairs as well?

Use Lemon Oil once a month to protect and condition wood furniture. Lemon Oil keeps your furniture from drying out and cracking.

Answer this Question

What is the very best furniture polish? I don't care about the price. I just bought a new real wood table and chairs and I want to use the very best. On hand, I have Pledge and Old English oil. The pamphlet that came with table said not to mix different brands/types or the wood may appear cloudy.

By judy from Riverside, CA

Answers

I personally like using Orange Glo for my wood furniture.

Fiddes. It is from the UK and available on eBay.

Answer this Question

My dining room chairs seem to have caked on dirt, and I do not know how to clean them. It is probably there from people's hands. I had them cleaned once, but the dirt seemed to come back.

By Barbara W.

Answers

I have redone house (wood work included) it does get build up. The dresser I have in my bedroom is way over 100yrs old, maybe I can help. If it's just build up from every day living like you said I would try plain vinegar (if you want to put lemon you can) maybe the citrus would help out, some don't like vinegar smell if its strong.The strength depends on how built up they are? So first go with 1/2 vinegar 1/2 water; if you add lemon just squirt the juice 2-4 times or 1 whole lemon. That is for quart size spay bottle. If that doesn't easily remove it add more vinegar. After you get them clean,you can make your own Murphy's type oil with either baby oil or mineral oil.If you are wanting to use a more soapy cleaner like Murphy's soap you add a squirt of dish soap to the oil. I hope this works for you. The only other thing I could suggest without seeing them is take straight half lemon with salt rubbing in a circular motion (how I clean my cutting boards or really dirty wood). Without a picture one of these will work.

goop, or any "waterless hand cleaner". Not the one with "grit." Use a paint brush and brush it on the top rail, let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes, and then wipe it off with paper towels. When nothing more comes off on the paper towel, wipe it with cheesecloth or some fabric that will absorb any leftover moisture and gunk. Then buff if you feel like it.

Needs be, do it again. Does not affect the wood unless you leave it on too long so that it dries. Not caustic. Might want to cover the seat because it will drip. If you're cleaning a table, do a section at a time so it doesn't dry. Can also be used on "desk" leather. Amazing stuff.

Answer this Question

I would like to clean up the dust which accumulated over the years in the cracks of my big wooden table. I was thinking of using a Q-tip and a small hand vacuum, but I am wondering if there is any other way to do this?
Thank you.

Answers

I would try an old, dry toothbrush (one that's too worn to use for tooth brushing any longer). I've had good success cleaning small items and things with crevices with an old toothbrush. Just don't brush so hard that you create scratches.

Answer this Question

I use felt pads on lamps to keep lamp movement from scratching. I notice though that when I change objects or lamps there are sometimes circular rings from the tabs. They will not wax or buff out. How do you remove them?

By Terry O. from Nashville, TN

Answer this Question

Our cat vomited on our oak end table while we were on vacation. We returned to find the mess thoroughly dried out. We removed all the loose bits, but now the stuck on bits remain. What is the best way to remove the rest without damaging the wood?

By TM

Answer this Question

How can I get dried fragrance oil off of my wooden dresser?

By shawntae lewis from Hagerstown, MD

Answer this Question

I have a dark wood table, that has what looks like oil spots on it but it will not come off. I have used mild soap and water and furniture polish. Any suggestions?

Answer this Question
Load More

Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureJuly 19, 2011
🌻
📓
😷
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Cleaning-Wood-Furniture-1.html