Removing Urine Odors from a Couch

Category Furniture
Removing urine odors from upholstered furniture can be difficult. This is a guide about removing urine odors from a couch.

How do I get my children's urine smell out of my couch? It's a corner couch and it has pillows for the back, So how do I get the smell out of my couch? I have tried everything. Does anyone know any tricks, because I have taken the covers off and washed them in the washer, but the couch cushions still smell like urine.

By Ashlee

Answers

Best Answer

When I had an infant, my pet cat was very angry about it. She would pee on our couch, our bed, any piece of clothing left on the floor. I used the product KidsNPets, which is an enzyme cleaner, like Nature's Miracle. Soak the cushion and then let it dry. As the cleaner hits the urine, it changes it to something else that doesn't smell. If you have nice enough weather, you might try drying it outside because sunshine can also help with odors.

Good luck! They will be old enough for a new couch soon enough. :)

My elderly mother peed on my couch. Is there anything I could do to get the pee smell out of the cushions?

Answers

Best Answer

Baking soda

I have a hunter green micro suede couch that has been slobbered, vomited, and urinated on by my puppy. Any tricks to get the smell/stains out without ruining the color? I really don't want to pay $200 to get this cleaned when I know he'll just do it again. Thanks!

Kara from Coatesville, PA

Answers

Best Answer

Woolite Oxy Pet Stain remover, it's in a gray spray bottle. Doesn't smell bad at all, and it's supposed to keep the animals from doing anything in the same spot! Worked great on the stain right away, had to use three applications for the odor, but it worked. Our Black Lab just turned two in November, but thankfully he still kept all his GOOD puppy traits!

My couch has over night urine on it. How can I remove the stain and odor?

Answers

How to remove human urine from upholstery?

Help! how can I get pee off my couch from my dog?

Using a spray bottle soak the damaged area with white vinegar then sprinkle (while covering thoroughly)with the baking soda covering the entire area Then using a rubber scrubber,scrub the entire stain and let it sit to dry. Then wash as usual, you may need to reat this 1 or 2 x.

I need help and I have tried everything (so I think). My husband fell asleep on our couch and had an accident. It's not suede, but it feels like it and I can't get rid of the smell of urine to save my life. Is there something I am missing that I haven't tried?

By Melissa from Mesa, AZ

Answers

Best Answer

Have you tried an enzymatic cleaner? I use Petzyme from Petsmart for pet accidents, but the enzymatic cleaners can be used on any organic messes (urine, feces, vomit, blood). There are other brands available, too. When we rescued a little kitten, he had an accident on the couch (pee), and I used Petzyme on it. I've never had a problem with any of my cats coming back to that area. Best of luck!

How do I get rid of a smell that smells like pee?

Answers

www.animalplanet.com/pets/10-tips-for-cleaning-cat-urine/

SCOE10X is recommended.

Anonymous

by using dishwater liquid mixed with water

My son had an accident on my beautiful microfiber recliner. I soaked up as much of the pee as I could and then covered the area with baking soda and let it dry. It still smells strongly of urine! What can I use to get the smell out of the cushion/padding that is also safe for the fabric since it can't be removed?

By Mommyx3 from DC

Answers

Best Answer

I used an enzymatic cleaner on my microfiber couch when our wee little kitten had an accident (pee). I have PetZyme from PetSmart, but you can find other brands elsewhere. I saturated the area, used the attachments from my carpet cleaner, and sprayed the area again. We have no pee smell, and no stains.

How do I get urine smell out of a recliner chair upholstery?

Answers

Enzymatic cleaners are really the ony thing that will get rid of that smell.

You can buy one here https://www.che  amp;gclsrc=aw.ds

or, if you have brown sugar, citrus peels and a lot of time on your hands, you can make your own: http://www.wiki  e-Enzyme-Cleaner

Nok-Out is a good cleaner. You must saturate the entire urine stain, and perhaps the stuffing underneath the material.

A friend's son had quite a big "accident" on my daughter's loveseat when he slept over, but didn't tell her. My daughter and her kids discovered it the following day, late in the afternoon when they were sitting on the couch and noticed it was pretty damp.

Because it was the weekend and no companies were open, she took the fabric covers off and washed them, but didn't know what to do with the cushions and the wood frame of the couch. She called several furniture cleaners on the following Monday, and was told it will be impossible to get the urine stain and odor out of the wood and foam cushions because the first 48 hours are so critical in getting out those stains and odors!

She also got estimates of over $1500 from upholsterers to redo the cushions and fabric, but no guarantee on the wood! Aside from getting all new furniture, which they cannot afford right now, do any ThirftyFun members have some tried-and-true solutions? Thanks very much.

By Caseye

Answers

I have a small Bissel Little Green Machine that I use on upholstery. Maybe this would work on the foam? Or setting them out to air in the sunlight? Washing the wood down with vinegar? These are all guesses. I did have a grandchild urinate on the mattress once, before I put a waterproof pad on it, and the Little Green Machine did wonders, but it was fresh. Good Luck!

My son has a habit of not telling us when he has accidents on the couch and we will find them later, sometimes much later. What has worked well for us is to take the covers off and wash them in the washer with vinegar in a Downy ball instead of fabric softener. For the foam cushions, we Febreeze them until they are dripping and let the cushion dry in the sun. The cushion usually takes a couple of days to dry completely. We've never had the urine get on the wood so I don't know what would work with that. Maybe a pet urine product with enzymes in it would work?

How do I get human urine smell out of couch cushions?

By Nancy from Long Island, NY

Answers

Fill an 8 oz spray bottle with hot water and add 10 drops of tea tree oil. shake well. spray the mixture thoroughly over the soiled area. Set the cushion outside to air dry. I think you'll be amazed at how nicely the tea tree oil cleans.

Nature's Miracle for pet odors may work. They also make a solution for use in doing laundry. I know they have a web-site. It would be worth looking up to see if they have an upholstery cleaner.

I am looking for something to remove odors in a couch, such as human urine and flatulence. Febreze only masks for a few minutes and leaves a film.

By Irene C.

Answers

The way to get rid of the smell for good is with bio-remediation, that is, letting the correct bacteria eat the organic matter, ie, the urine. Make sure that whatever product you use has live bacterial spores. I use a product from Winsol Labs called Trio Plus. The smallest amount you can buy however, is one gallon. You don't need that much so you can buy a similar product like Nature's Miracle at a pet store, or Earthworm Septic Liquid. Any bacterial product made for septic systems like Rid-X will also work. Rid-X comes in liquid form but since you need so little of it I would recommend the powder which is less expensive.

Mix about a teaspoon of the powder with enough water to cover the area with the urine. Rid-X will not have a fragrance since it is meant for septic systems. Many of the products made for removing cat urine or spray have a pleasant odor. Either type will work.

The Winsol Labs web site describes how the process works. Basically, the good bacteria, the same ones that decompose organic matter in nature, eat the urine or other matter like blood
or feces, and leave only carbon dioxide and water. http://www.wins  odorcontrol.htm. Scroll down to the paragraph that starts with the sentence "The real secret to removing sour milk, urine or food odors is to understand the nature of the problem."

Another good product is Earthworm Septic Liquid. http://www.acle  n_products.html. Whole Foods carries the Earthworm products. I like the Earthworm company because they do not test their products on animals.

Flatulence produces a gas which will quickly dissipate. If you still smell what you think is flatulence there is probably some organic matter on the couch, which can be removed with the same product. You'll need a product like Nature's Miracle. Walmart, and pet stores carry similar products. Get something that smells nice. Make sure that the product has live bacterial spores and is not just a cover up for odors. Call the manufacturer.

Spray or douse the couch cushions with the product. Add water if necessary to completely reach all of the urine. Wet the area on the couch and keep it wet or very moist for at least three or four days. You could put a plastic bag under the cushion and turn the cushion over so the side with the urine stays wet. If the urine went through the whole cushion, put it in a big plastic bag and do the same. If the smell is still there after it dries, repeat the process. If urine getting on the couch is a regular occurrence, spritz the couch cushions with Nature's Miracle or something similar with live bacterial spores. That way the 'beneficial' bacteria will start removing the urine as soon as it occurs. You can also spritz some around the bottom of the toilet if you have boys who sometimes miss the toilet. I hope this helps. Good luck

How do I remove the urine smell off the couch?

By Marina from San Diego, CA

Answers

Lots of white vinegar. Let it dry. No harm to most fabrics. Professionals use it.

How do I remove pet urine smell from red microfiber sofa?

By Houndy from Rye, NH

Answers:

Cleaning Urine Off a Couch

Use a pet cleaner and odor remover with enzymes, spray it deep into the couch where the pee is and leave it wet. Cover the wet area with a plastic bag (to help keep it wet, it quits working when it dries!). You may have to repeat this again the next day. The enzymes work to help the pee break down and biodegrade quicker.

The brands I like best are: "Out!" and "Veterinary Strength OutRight". Look for the word "enzyme" on the front. You can buy these products at Walmart, Target, K-mart, pet stores, on-line, and sometimes at the vet's (for more money).

* When the couch is nearly dry, but still a little bit damp, take an old toothbrush and lightly brush the pile of the microfiber back and forth so it stands up again. Then brush it again when it dries. (03/14/2010)

By Cyinda

Cleaning Urine Off a Couch

First put cold wet towel on it and let soak overnight. Next day spray with hydrogen peroxide. Let dry, repeat if necessary. (03/16/2010)

By rosemary1136

Cleaning Urine Off a Couch

Ten months ago I used fogger products from Biocide systems to remove cigarette smell. It work effortlessly and the smells never came back. They also have a liquid solution for pet accidents. You should really Google them. You will be amazed! (03/18/2010)

By Marisol72

Can baking soda clean up urine from my couch?

Angela from MI

Answers:

Removing Urine from a Couch

Probably not effectively. Look in either the pet section or baby section at Walmart/Target and you should find something called Urine Gone or something like that. That will probably work pretty well.

Is this human or pet? If it's a pet you need to neutralize the smell otherwise they will continue. I had a cat that had a bladder infection and he would pee in the middle of my daughter's bed or in her closet on the clothes. It made me so mad until I took him to the vet. I have found that if you liberally soak in white vinegar it does neutralize cat/dog urine. (12/10/2008)

By jasanders

Removing Urine from a Couch

I use Resolve, It works perfectly on human and animal urine. (12/11/2008)

By castleberrycc

Removing Urine from a Couch

White vinegar applied liberally (in other words soak it) will get rid of the smell. There is nothing better for urine odor removal, whether human or cat and it doesn't harm fabrics. (12/11/2008)

By castorswind

Removing Urine from a Couch

There is a product called Nature's Miracle in the pet store. It creates a chemical reaction with the enzymes in urine. It works really well for pet and human urine. We had to use it several times when my daughter was younger. The key is you have to soak the spot with it and it may take several treatments. Of course on a couch, test it first. (12/15/2008)

By craftygirlz

My daughter still pees at night and has peed through her pull-up a few times right onto my microfiber couch. I am looking for a home remedy to take out the smell. Can anyone help me?

By Charity from Indianapolis, IN

Answers:

Urine Odor on Microfiber Couch

Try sprinkling some baking soda on there and leaving it for a few days and then vacuum up. It helps with odor. Resolve helps for stains. (10/20/2009)

By Lisa

Urine Odor on Microfiber Couch

I know 2 products that work.

First Choice: Complete Stain N Odor Remover. I bought mine at Target. It really works, has a pleasant scent, and is inexpensive. We have a dog and an elderly mum. Although I don't use it often, it really gets everything out and makes it sanitary as it kills bacteria as well. I would saturate it and allow it to penetrate down into the couch. It's clear liquid, but you may want to test it on an inconspicuous spot.
I keep some in a bottle to refresh floors and couches from puppy feet. It's in the pet section.

Second Choice: Odo-Ban also works.

Hope this helps you. Urine scent is hard to remove because the uric acid crystals stay on the fabric and when there is moisture in the air the scent will return. Have not experience that with the Complete. (10/22/2009)

By italianswede

Urine Odor on Microfiber Couch

Lemon juice and white vinegar, let sit in the sun for 8 hours. This will get rid of the smell, then use some fabric cleaner. (10/22/2009)

By Nmh1970

How do you get dog urine out of couch cushions?

By alynnanthony from Moline, IL

Answers:

Cleaning Urine Off a Couch

Full strength vinegar is said to neutralize dog urine odor, but I would remove the cover from the cushion first, if it is removable. I wouldn't put vinegar or any other liquid on the cushion unless you are sure the cushion will dry after the treatment. (07/10/2009)

By Fortunately

Cleaning Urine Off a Couch

Can you take the cover off the cushion? I'd wash the cover separately, probably by hand. I'd also put the cushion in the tub and wash it out with some detergent and put the cushion out in the sun to dry.

(07/13/2009)

By kghsave

Cleaning Urine Off a Couch

Product: Urine Off. Works great. (07/13/2009)

By Genifromalamp

I have 6 kids and 4 dogs and a 1 1/2 year old tan microfiber sectional.

My son feel asleep on the couch and had an accident, the couch is only 4 months old and has a large urine spot. How do I clean it?

My 2 year old wet the bed, as so to speak on my couch. Is there anyway of removing urine from a couch cushion.