Removing Urine Odors from a Couch

Category Furniture
Removing urine odors from upholstered furniture can be difficult. This is a guide about removing urine odors from a couch.

How do I get my children's urine smell out of my couch? It's a corner couch and it has pillows for the back, So how do I get the smell out of my couch? I have tried everything. Does anyone know any tricks, because I have taken the covers off and washed them in the washer, but the couch cushions still smell like urine.

By Ashlee

Answers

Best Answer

When I had an infant, my pet cat was very angry about it. She would pee on our couch, our bed, any piece of clothing left on the floor. I used the product KidsNPets, which is an enzyme cleaner, like Nature's Miracle. Soak the cushion and then let it dry. As the cleaner hits the urine, it changes it to something else that doesn't smell. If you have nice enough weather, you might try drying it outside because sunshine can also help with odors.

Good luck! They will be old enough for a new couch soon enough. :)

Anonymous
Best Answer

I am having this issue at this very moment. My daughter had an accident on the couch after she fell asleep there and I didn't carry her to her bed. I cleaned her up and got her in bed and fell back asleep before taking care of our new sofa. This morning I used my carpet cleaner with upholstery attachments to clean the cushions. I used cold water and a cap full of vinegar (I wasn't sure if the vinegar would harm the fabric) and sucked up as much moisture as possible. The odor was still very strong so I used baking soda very liberally all over the cushions. I took handfuls and spread it all over the fabric and interior foam cushion (after unzipping it partially because the urine was right where the zipper stops and the fabric continues). Again, I used a lot and pressed it into the foam and all over the fabric.

I wasn't too worried because we have a warranty that covers these instances and allows for you to try and remove stains yourself before making a claim. I figured if it didn't work I'd just call the company and fill out the many forms and send them in along with the blood of my firstborn (they don't make it easy to file these claims at all!). After letting the baking soda sit for a few minutes I got impatient and vacuumed it up. The smell was dissipating but was still there. I reapplied the baking soda and let it sit for a solid 30-45 minutes. I looked at the cushions and thought to myself, I'm never going to get all of this up so I better go hunt down that receipt if I don't want my couch to forever look like I dumped a bag of flour on it.

Well, to my surprise, my conservatively priced nothing fancy vacuum cleaner with the little brush attachment picked up every last bit of baking soda and the super fine dust left over came out with a good beating. The odors are gone and I don't have to sacrifice a lamb to the warranty gods and submit forms in triplicate after being notarized and stamped with the ink from a giant squid. Hope this helps and good luck. Next time I'll suck it up and carry her to bed with the traumatic images of the carnage that was my sofa today.

I have a hunter green micro suede couch that has been slobbered, vomited, and urinated on by my puppy. Any tricks to get the smell/stains out without ruining the color? I really don't want to pay $200 to get this cleaned when I know he'll just do it again. Thanks!

Kara from Coatesville, PA

Answers

By Kara (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Woolite Oxy Pet Stain remover, it's in a gray spray bottle. Doesn't smell bad at all, and it's supposed to keep the animals from doing anything in the same spot! Worked great on the stain right away, had to use three applications for the odor, but it worked. Our Black Lab just turned two in November, but thankfully he still kept all his GOOD puppy traits!

I need help and I have tried everything (so I think). My husband fell asleep on our couch and had an accident. It's not suede, but it feels like it and I can't get rid of the smell of urine to save my life. Is there something I am missing that I haven't tried?

By melissa from Mesa, AZ

Answers

Best Answer

Have you tried an enzymatic cleaner? I use Petzyme from Petsmart for pet accidents, but the enzymatic cleaners can be used on any organic messes (urine, feces, vomit, blood). There are other brands available, too. When we rescued a little kitten, he had an accident on the couch (pee), and I used Petzyme on it. I've never had a problem with any of my cats coming back to that area. Best of luck!

A friend's son had quite a big "accident" on my daughter's loveseat when he slept over, but didn't tell her. My daughter and her kids discovered it the following day, late in the afternoon when they were sitting on the couch and noticed it was pretty damp.

Because it was the weekend and no companies were open, she took the fabric covers off and washed them, but didn't know what to do with the cushions and the wood frame of the couch. She called several furniture cleaners on the following Monday, and was told it will be impossible to get the urine stain and odor out of the wood and foam cushions because the first 48 hours are so critical in getting out those stains and odors!

She also got estimates of over $1500 from upholsterers to redo the cushions and fabric, but no guarantee on the wood! Aside from getting all new furniture, which they cannot afford right now, do any ThirftyFun members have some tried-and-true solutions? Thanks very much.

By Caseye

Answers

Best Answer

I have a small Bissel Little Green Machine that I use on upholstery. Maybe this would work on the foam? Or setting them out to air in the sunlight? Washing the wood down with vinegar? These are all guesses. I did have a grandchild urinate on the mattress once, before I put a waterproof pad on it, and the Little Green Machine did wonders, but it was fresh. Good Luck!

How do I get human urine smell out of couch cushions?

By nancy from Long Island, NY

Answers

Best Answer

Nature's Miracle for pet odors may work. They also make a solution for use in doing laundry. I know they have a web-site. It would be worth looking up to see if they have an upholstery cleaner.

How do I get rid of a smell that smells like pee?

Answers

www.animalplanet.com/pets/10-tips-for-cleaning-cat-urine/

SCOE10X is recommended.

Anonymous

by using dishwater liquid mixed with water

I am looking for something to remove odors in a couch, such as human urine and flatulence. Febreze only masks for a few minutes and leaves a film.

By Irene C.

Answers

Best Answer

The way to get rid of the smell for good is with bio-remediation, that is, letting the correct bacteria eat the organic matter, ie, the urine. Make sure that whatever product you use has live bacterial spores. I use a product from Winsol Labs called Trio Plus. The smallest amount you can buy however, is one gallon. You don't need that much so you can buy a similar product like Nature's Miracle at a pet store, or Earthworm Septic Liquid. Any bacterial product made for septic systems like Rid-X will also work. Rid-X comes in liquid form but since you need so little of it I would recommend the powder which is less expensive.

Mix about a teaspoon of the powder with enough water to cover the area with the urine. Rid-X will not have a fragrance since it is meant for septic systems. Many of the products made for removing cat urine or spray have a pleasant odor. Either type will work.

The Winsol Labs web site describes how the process works. Basically, the good bacteria, the same ones that decompose organic matter in nature, eat the urine or other matter like blood
or feces, and leave only carbon dioxide and water. http://www.winsol.com/. Scroll down to the paragraph that starts with the sentence "The real secret to removing sour milk, urine or food odors is to understand the nature of the problem."

Another good product is Earthworm Septic Liquid. http://www.acleanearth.com/. Whole Foods carries the Earthworm products. I like the Earthworm company because they do not test their products on animals.

Flatulence produces a gas which will quickly dissipate. If you still smell what you think is flatulence there is probably some organic matter on the couch, which can be removed with the same product. You'll need a product like Nature's Miracle. Walmart, and pet stores carry similar products. Get something that smells nice. Make sure that the product has live bacterial spores and is not just a cover up for odors. Call the manufacturer.

Spray or douse the couch cushions with the product. Add water if necessary to completely reach all of the urine. Wet the area on the couch and keep it wet or very moist for at least three or four days. You could put a plastic bag under the cushion and turn the cushion over so the side with the urine stays wet. If the urine went through the whole cushion, put it in a big plastic bag and do the same. If the smell is still there after it dries, repeat the process. If urine getting on the couch is a regular occurrence, spritz the couch cushions with Nature's Miracle or something similar with live bacterial spores. That way the 'beneficial' bacteria will start removing the urine as soon as it occurs. You can also spritz some around the bottom of the toilet if you have boys who sometimes miss the toilet. I hope this helps. Good luck

How do I remove the urine smell off the couch?

By Marina from San Diego, CA

Answers

Best Answer

Lots of white vinegar. Let it dry. No harm to most fabrics. Professionals use it.

My son had an accident on my beautiful microfiber recliner. I soaked up as much of the pee as I could and then covered the area with baking soda and let it dry. It still smells strongly of urine! What can I use to get the smell out of the cushion/padding that is also safe for the fabric since it can't be removed?

By Mommyx3 from DC

Answers

Best Answer

I used an enzymatic cleaner on my microfiber couch when our wee little kitten had an accident (pee). I have PetZyme from PetSmart, but you can find other brands elsewhere. I saturated the area, used the attachments from my carpet cleaner, and sprayed the area again. We have no pee smell, and no stains.

My 2 year old wet the bed, as so to speak on my couch. Is there anyway of removing urine from a couch cushion. I'm afraid if I throw in the washer it will mess my cushion up. I need all the suggestions I can get. Thank you.

Answers:

Cleaning Urine Off a Couch Cushion

Soak the area with a solution used for pet stains. We use Pet Out that we got at WalMart. You could try just soaking the area with vinegar first, but the pet solutions usually have enzymes that actually break down the odor causing bacteria. (06/11/2004)

By Patticat

Cleaning Urine Off a Couch Cushion

I've had this happen more than once. I pour a very generous amount of vinegar on the spot - probably 1/4 to 1/2 the bottle. After it soaks in, put cushion on its side and let it dry for a day or so. It always works for me. (06/11/2004)

Cleaning Urine Off a Couch Cushion

I just read something on this. First, of course, soak as much liquid as you can up with old towels. Then liberally pour borox on the area. Leave for a day - the borax will turn yellow. Remove borax and repeat until borax stays completely white and your urine will be all gone and absolutely no odor. (06/11/2004)

By Toni K.

Cleaning Urine Off a Couch Cushion

I have cleaned couch cushions by filling my washing machine with warm water in which I have put some solution for pet stains. Start the machine to mix well then shut machine off, put cushion in and squeeze water thru cushion by hand, let sit for a few minutes and squeeze water thru again. Then set machine to drain & spin. Fill with clean cold water, hand squeeze water thru cushion again, drain & spin. DO NOT USE THE ADJITATOR. (06/12/2004)

By Anna Sellars

Cleaning Urine Off a Couch Cushion

Enzyme products are expensive and do not always remove all of the offending odors. Make sure it soaks the entire stained area and then place the cushion in a large plastic trash bag for 24 hrs. opening it occasionally to prevent mildew. After the soaking period is over place in the sun if possible (it naturally deodorizes) or use a fan to dry.

(10/10/2004)

By Danielle

Cleaning Urine Off a Couch Cushion

When this happened at my house I couldn't find anything that worked until I took the couch cushions to the car wash. They have a foaming carpet cleaner there and I went over the cushions several times until I didn't smell it anymore! Try it! (04/26/2005)

By Laura T.

Cleaning Urine Off a Couch Cushion

I had a Pug who just peed on my Couch, and I took the cushions and soaked them to get the urine out. Now I can't get the cushions dried, now can I get rid of the urine and get my cushions dried. Please help. (01/04/2006)

By Sag48602

Carwash

I actually took my cushions to the carwash, washed and rinsed them, poured vinegar and water on them, rinsed them out, and they never would dry! I ended up getting new cushions- $40.00 each - not too bad. (01/04/2006)

By Cristie

Cleaning Urine Off a Couch Cushion

I was able to clean a mattress in the back yard with
Greased Lightning and the garden hose
lots of sun drying. Soaked through then dried
Is urine-off available in retail stores? (03/24/2006)

By bedwetter's mom

Steam Cleaner

I steamed cleaned mine with my steam cleaner using orange formula cleanser. It not only worked but made my whole living room smell like citrus. If that doesn't work get some totally toddler from the baby section of walmart and clean it with that. To dry either set out to air dry or use a blow dryer. (10/02/2006)

Urine-Off

Whoever claimed that Urine-Off has never had a dissatisfied customer has not done a web-search of the product. There are many who have posted on the internet claiming that, like most enzyme cleaners for urine stains, it does not work. The latest entry to the market is Urine Gone which started as an "as seen on tv" product. I've read claims that it is a miracle cleaner (like the Urine-Off) as well as claims that it is rubbish. (12/20/2006)

By interested mom-of-4

Cleaning Urine Off a Couch Cushion

Following is the text of an email query I sent in January 2007, to the polyurethane foam association (FPA), a resource for information about flexible polyurethane foam cushioning in the United States, at www.pfa.org.

"I am writing to ask if you know whether my polyurethane foam couch cushions may be submerged in water & hand washed with a gentle detergent for the purpose of removing pet urine."

For what it may or may not be worth to you, this is the response I received several days later:

If the cushioning is 100% flexible polyurethane foam, it is possible that hand washing with mild detergent could be successful. If you elect to do this, allow several days (perhaps more than a week) for the foam to dry naturally. Flexible polyurethane foam should never be dried using a hair drier, heat gun, clothes drier or heat lamp. This could create a very dangerous fire situation should the foam become heated to an ignition point by radiant heat or a spark.

However, if the foam contains organic filler materials or a fiber wrap, exposure to water and a mild detergent could be destructive to the cushion.

You may also find that removing the foam from the cushion cover is much easier than replacing the cover after cleaning. Fitting a 7" cushion back into its cover could be very challenging.

Bottom line, we have no way of knowing the cushion content... and because of that, we are not able to provide cleaning suggestions. Only [the manufacturer] can provide that information.

Regards,

Executive Director

I got the manufacturer and model number of our couch by calling the store through we had purchased and financed. Unfortunately, manufacturer has no email address and to date has not responded to telephone messages left on their automatic answering machine. So I am starting out with least intrusive suggestions on this site and going from there. Thank you all! (01/06/2007)

By Samayas

Load More