Getting Rid of Urine Odors

Recently, when visiting an elderly family member in a nursing home, I couldn't help but notice the strong smell of urine in the areas where he spends most of his time. Is there anything that I could suggest to the nursing home to do/use to mask this smell, at least in the room where he sleeps. I know it sounds ghastly but the staff are always cleaning up "little accidents", surely there is something that can be done to make it a little more pleasant?

Kay from Albury, Australia

Answers

Best Answer

My father in law has the same problem. After he leaves, we spray the area with NutraAir or Febreze. Maybe you could suggest to the nursing home to have a supply of those cheapo chair pillows (I hope you know what I'm talking about, I've seen them at the dollar store and they have little ties on them which you're supposed to tie to the back of the chair) and replace the ones he's sat on every so often and put the dirty ones in the laundry.

By s.shep (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I am a nurse and when I worked in a nursing home we used lemon slices! Put in a cup and tape to back of chair and bed. Change daily. We also took a lemon slice and ran the slice on the chrome on the guard rail. We used this also with someone that had flesh rotting and it really did help alot. Needed to change once a shift on that one,though.

By (Guest Post)
Best Answer

No nursing home should smell of urine. If it does, it is a sign that the place is being inadequately cleaned. There are commercial products to deal with this problem. It isn't the responsibility of the nursing staff to handle this, either. The nursing home has a custodial staff that doesn't seem to be doing their job properly. Have a word with the administrator. Squeaky wheels get the grease. If this isn't resolved I would notify the appropriate state or governmental licensing board.

By Zina (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I am a nurse and before that worked in a bar, we used to use vinegar and water to clean the urine odor(making sure to change the water and vinegar often) for the male bathrooms. In nursing we have used shaving cream. If the facility is old the flooring may need to be replaced, you can cot get the smell out if it has soaked in the floor no matter how hard you or housekeeping try. It may not be the homes fault. Unless they just won't change the flooring. Also you might want to check to see if your family member has a possible infection ( or someone that might share the space). Talk to other family members.

Answer this Question

12 More Questions

How do I get rid of urine smell in a rubber cushion?

By azcactus from Phoenix, AZ

Answers

Best Answer

I don't know if this will help, but someone on Thriftyfun recommended Dawn dish washing liquid for stains and I just used it to remove human urine stains from the rugs around my commode.

I just took a white old rag and put warm water on it and a few drops of Dawn. I rubbed the stain pretty well, but not for a long time.

I washed the rug with laundry detergent and bleach and for the first time, the urine came out. For the past ten years I just replaced the rugs because I could never get the urine out, no matter what I used.

I never put these rugs with rubber backing in the dryer, I just air dry them.

I hope this will help you.

Best Answer

Depending on the size of the cushion perhaps you could wash it in your washing machine or a large washing machine available at the laundromat on the gentle, cold water cycle and make sure it is dried completely afterwards. If you're worried about shrinkage then allow to air dry.

Best Answer

Major pet stores sell a product called "odor ban." It's absolutely wonderful. It's made specifically for urine, or any other organic matter. Bring your cushion outside and just pour it on...making sure it's thoroughly soaked through to the inside. No need to rinse it....just let it dry a couple of days. Odor Bans' purpose in life is to "eat" anything organic. This same concept can be also used on bed mattresses, furniture etc. It worked and I was very, very impressed.

Answer this Question

How can I clean a room of urine scent to keep other animals from being attracted to the area? I have heard that ammonia will hide a scent so dogs cannot follow it, but does it work for other things?

By Marty S

Answers

Best Answer

I've heard/read that ammonia is NOT what you want to use. It'll make the situation worse. Have you tried an enzymatic cleaner? I bought PetZyme from Petsmart, but there are other brands out there. Best of luck!

Best Answer

DO NOT use ammonia. They have ammonia in their urine so it will simply smell like urine and they will be more attracted to it. Whoever told you to use ammonia is an idiot. That is ome thing you should NEVER use. Try a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water.

Answer this Question

I was wondering if it is true that if there is a bad stench in your home that if you cut an onion it will get rid off it. Please help, as someone I know has a bad stench from dog wee in their home and I'm trying to help them as they're elderly.

TIA

My dog is now 8 or 9 months old and is a good dog. He goes potty outside, but he will go inside too and usually in the kid's room. What can I do to get rid of his scent that he smells in there, so he won't go in there anymore?

By Alyssa

Answers

Most pet stores have "deterrent" type sprays that you can spray on problem areas, but the bottle says it only lasts 12 hours at a time. You can use store-bought pet stain remover to get the urine smell out, you just have to spray it generously and let it soak into the carpetpadding for 5+minutes. If that still doesn't work, a solution of water and baking soda may get remaining smell out. Hope this helps!

You need an enzyme cleaner that breaks down the urine, one I have used is called U R In Control. If the rug and pad are pretty old you might get rid of them, treat the sub-floor and then replace them. But if you don't want to spend the money, get an enzyme treatment, Petsmart carries them and many hardware stores. Don't use ammonia because it smells like pee. I keep the bedroom doors closed, as I have a 6 month old puppy and she is good now, but no use giving her the opportunity. Keep praising him and giving him treats every time he goes outside, too.

Vinegar! Plain old white vinegar, undiluted! Pour some in a spray bottle and spray the legs of any furniture, let it run off into the floor.Soak the favorite spots, let it stand awhile,then blot it all up,and go over the whole floor with vinegar and a mop.The vinegar is mildly acidic, (5%,you could drink it if you wanted to), but won't harm him, your kids, the coloring of the upholstery,or the padding under the carpet, if there is any. The odor will disappear as it dries, and you can wash whatever may need washing with vinegar in the machine. I buy it in the gallon size for about a dollar and a quarter.

I have found that Peroxide works very well for pet stains.If area is still wet, blot it up with paper towels, using a cloth, wipe with peroxide, blot it up with more paper towels. Repeat until stain is gone. The smell disappears so you will not have any repeat animal accidents in same area. Peroxide generally does not take color out of carpet or fabrics and isn't harmful to your pets

Removing urine odors from upholstered furniture can be difficult. This is a page about removing urine odors from a couch.

Shampooing a sofa.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 3

The are several ways to remove pet urine odors from your tile, laminate, hardwood, and resilient floors. This is a page about cleaning pet urine odors on floors.

cleaning products on a floor

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 2

With the proper method you can get your carpets looking and smelling just like new. This is a page about cleaning urine odors from carpet. Urine odors in carpets can be difficult to remove.

Dog getting in trouble for pee on carpet.

This is a page about cleaning dog urine odors outside. Often when dogs use the same spot or a small yard for their business, odors can become quite strong over time.

A dog outside on grass.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a page about homemade cleaners for pet urine odors. There are many commercial and homemade products you can use to remove pet urine odors from furniture and carpet. However, finding a solution to urine odors on other surfaces may be more elusive.

Dog Urinating Outdoors

This is a page about getting rid of cat urine odors. The smell of cat urine is very unpleasant.

cat in a house

My dog goes to the bathroom in the front of my house on the cement steps and on the bushes and I can't get rid of the smell.

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsJune 5, 2014
🎃
😷
🍂
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Getting-Rid-of-Urine-Odors.html