Cleaning Pet Urine Odors on Floors

Category Odors
The are several ways to remove pet urine odors from your tile, laminate, hardwood, and resilient floors. This is a guide about cleaning pet urine odors on floors.

When cleaning up any cat or dog pee on the floor, never ever use ammonia. Dog and cat pee both have a high ammonia content (often cats more so than dogs) so the smell can attract your pet and cause them to keep mistaking that spot for a bathroom! Most dogs and cats can smell one tiny spot of pee with their highly developed sense of smell.

If it's on a wood, tile, or linoleum floor use your normal cleaner, but be sure to go over the spot several times with a paper towel first. If you use your mop to clean up a pee puddle, it will most likely be just spreading the urine and scent around which also attracts them back to where they smell the urine, to pee again. If your pet keeps coming back to the area to use it as a bathroom you will want to try a product with live enzymes to remove the smell permanently. Be sure to spot check with the product first, as it needs to sit on the area and be allowed to air dry.

Pet owners may find themselves needing to remove dog urine odors from their carpet. This is a guide about cleaning dog urine odors from carpet.

A chihuahua on a white carpet.

Read More... Was this helpful? 2

Because of its composition, removing pet urine stains and odors from laminate flooring may seem daunting. This is a guide about cleaning pet urine stains and odors from laminate flooring.

Dog on Laminate Flooring

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

Removing urine stains and odors from flooring can be a challenge. This guide is about cleaning pet urine stains and odors from a tile floor.

cat on a tile floor

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

Accidents happen, but removing urine odors from wood floors can seem like a big job. This is a guide about cleaning pet urine odors from hardwood floors.

Hardwood Floor

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

What else can you use besides Pine Sol to clean your floors to get the oil up from the dog's pee?

Answers

Use Nature's Miracle, available at pet stores, to remove the odor. Your pet has marked its territory and you don't want that!

Use Nature's Miracle, available at pet stores, to remove the odor. Your pet has marked its territory and you don't want that! It removes all stains and odors.

I think the stronger the clean up chemical is, it makes it smell worse. Here are three suggestions #1 After initial wipe, one part hydrogen peroxide and two parts water. Let it sit on the spot for five to ten minutes before wiping. #2 Undiluted white vinegar. Spray on and wipe.# 3 Baking soda to absorb, then wipe.

What kind of floors?

First scrub with cut Lemon(or Lime). Make paste of Baking Soda and Vinegar. Apply in that spot. Leave for 5 minutes. Then wipe with a wet cloth.
I think that helps.

About 5 weeks ago I watched my son's puppy and he peed on the carpet and once on the kitchen floor, which I cleaned up. After she left my 3 year old (15#) Bichon/Maltese has been going on the kitchen spot, not every day and not all the time. She does it when we are home, but we can never catch her. We have used Dap, but it does not work. Help.

Eileen

Answers

Try an enzymatic cleaner. Just last week I bought a bottle of OUT! Stain and Odor Remover while I was at Wal-Mart. Previously I got PetZyme from Petsmart.

From the back of my new bottle:
-Natural pro-bacteria and enzyme solution permanently removes stains and odors
-Removes pheromones that cause pets to revisit and resoil spots

I have three cats. One throws up from time to time, so I use enzymatic to clean up the spots. When my youngest was a kitten, he had a little pee accident on the couch. I used the enzymatic cleaner, sucked up as much as I could with my carpet cleaner, gave it all one more good spray, and let it air dry. The other cats came around and acted interested while it was drying, but once it was completely dried, I could not smell anything, and the other cats acted completely uninterested (I was so worried they'd all star peeing on that spot!).

So, for us, an enzymatic cleaner is the way to go. I haven't had to try the new bottle yet, but I'm hoping it performs like the stuff from Petsmart. I got it from the area where they have pet shampoos and potty training supplies. I know that there are other brands, too.

If the dog is going only to the uncarpeted spot in the kitchen, another thing yhou could try is sprinkling a little cayenne pepper on the spot. I know that works for cats as they do not like the smell. It may work for dogs as well. I would try that first and then try the cleaner as the other poster Mrs. Story suggested.