Cleaning Dog Urine Odors from Carpet

Category Carpet
Pet owners may find themselves needing to remove dog urine odors from their carpet. This is a guide about cleaning dog urine odors from carpet.

Is there a product I can use in my carpet cleaner to remove urine odor?

Lisa from Long Island, NY

Answers

By Wanda (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I use a few different treatments which work well. Sprinkling stain with dry washing powder with enzymes works well to remove the scent to help prevent attracting animals to re-offend. Also some spray fabric deodorizers such as Fabreeze can help too. Bi-carb of soda is a cheap & effective treatment to absorb urine odours. Sometimes it takes a few treatments to completely remove odour & do test on a hidden patch of carpet first to check carpet colour fastness.

Best Answer

I have tried alot of the neutralizers from pet stores without getting good results. What I have found that works very well & cheaply is to use Tide or Gain liquid detergent mixed with water, at least a 50/50 or stronger mix, pour over stain area, scrub in , cover with towels and let dry.

You may want to test a spot to make sure it doesn't discolor your carpet. I have burgundy frieze carpet & it didn't change colors. I'd much rather smell Tide or Gain than urine!

Best Answer

Before I put down wood floors, I used a little Woolite with a bit of Clorox 2 and some white vinegar. That usually cleaned the rug very well, didn't remove the color, and got rid of any bad smells.
After my dog got sick and had diarrhea and vomiting both at once all over the carpet, I took them all up and replaced the floors with oak. Much better! Better to replace the floor than my precious dog. Since I live in FL, I probably should have put down ceramic tile instead of wood, but wood works fine for now.

How do I get dog urine smell out of my carpet?

By Cheryl

Answers

Best Answer

My favorite thing to use is a thick paste of baking soda and water. Apply on the stinky areas and using a slightly damp sponge really rub it into the carpet and then let dry completely. Then simply vacuum up. I also sprinkle baking soda directly on my carpets as part of general cleaning regimen and vacuum to keep carpets smelling fresh and clean (especially due to the pet dander smell that can seep in, pet accidents or not).

Best Answer

I found out the hard way. Never ever use a mixture of vinegar to clean carpeting of dog urine. The vinegar reacts with the urine and produces more ammonia than there was originally. I thought I'd pass out from the stink. I had to go to a pet store to get their advice and they informed me it's a very BIG mistake to put vinegar (white mixed with water) on dog urine for the very same reason I mentioned above.

I bought an enzyme at $30 a gallon. Used it as instructed on the container and got rid of the stink. Unfortunately it took the entire gallon, and alot of work, for a small area but it was worth it in the end.

Can anyone recommend the most effective way to deal with dog urine in carpeting? Certainly to begin the cleaning process asap is best, but not always possible - particularly if you are a landlord. I have tried numerous methods involving blotting, soaking, scrubbing, drying, brushing, etc. and all kinds of special carpet shampoos, enzyme neutralizers, absorbent sprinkles, room deodorizers, buckets of cold water, spray bottles of warm water, rug scrubbers both large and small with various attachments.

Despite my best efforts, I cannot conquer the stains and the smell. They never go away - the dogs smell their "favorite spot" and the cycle begins again. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for your time and consideration.

Answers

I am a landlord. I finally got to the point that I don't allow pets unless it is a service dog. If they have pets, then they pay a deposit equal to what Lowe's wo;; charge me to replace the carpets and pad. One house its a $2200 pet deposit. And, I do frequent inspections. I have been burned with this one too many times.

I had a problem with my dog using the bathroom in the house when I moved. I finally gave the carpet a good deep clean with a rug doctor.

It worked for me. But I know some animals urine smells worse than others. Its worth a shot.

I have found Nature's Miracle to be great at removing stains and odor. You must apply it very thoroughly on the affected area. Urine crystals can take up to two weeks to break down. If there is still an odor after two weeks, it means you missed some areas and must reapply.

For a Homemade Solution:
Dog Urine Odor Remover
2 cups white distilled vinegar
2 cups lukewarm water
4 generous Tablespoons baking soda
Spray bottle (optional)
Directions #1
Thoroughly blot up as much of whatever it is youre cleaning up. Fold up a rag over it, place a heavy book on it and stand on the book to make sure you really get it all out (sounds extreme, but it does a good job!) Mix 2 cups of white distilled vinegar with 2 cups of lukewarm water in a large bowl. Add in 4 heaping Tablespoons of baking soda, adding it in smaller amounts if it threatens to fizz over (and it really does fizz!) Pour into a spray bottle and thoroughly spray the area. Let sit for 5 minutes, then gently rub and blot up with a soft cloth. You can also simply pour some straight from the bowl over the stain if you dont have a spray bottle.
Directions #2
As with the Direction #1, blot or clean up as much as possible. Mix 2 cups of lukewarm water with 2 cups of white distilled vinegar. Instead of adding the baking soda to the liquid, sprinkle it dry liberally over the area where the accident occurred. Let it break down and deodorize for about 5 minutes, then vacuum. Apply the water/vinegar solution as in the first set of directions.
Note: This will also remove blood stains.

For a Homemade Solution:
Dog Urine Odor Remover
2 cups white distilled vinegar
2 cups lukewarm water
4 generous Tablespoons baking soda
Spray bottle (optional)
Directions #1
Directions #2

Working with equally part of water and vinger scrub blot with paper towels

I have a 4 year old dog that is constantly wetting on the floor in my bedroom. I can't stand the smell. I have used the Bissell cleaner solution for pets, but still have the same odor. Could someone please tell me the best, least expensive solution to my problem?

By TammySue from Bladenboro, NC

Answers

Straight, undiluted white vinegar. Soap and water first, wash two times, rinse two times. Put on full strength vinegar and let dry. Smell of vinegar will go away.

We always cleaned what we could up and then rubes shaving cream into the spot where the dog peed this worked for us when the old family dog of 12 years had a stroke and Had accidents because she insisted she could go pee by herself.

Pet Supply Plus carries a product called Nature's Miracle. It worked for cat urine, which is way worse than dog urine. It has a pleasant odor and eliminated any kind of urine smell. Good luck! Love animals but sometimes they can be PITA's (Pain in the A$$) when they urinate places they aren't supposed to! :)

I also agree with white vinegar if you don't want to spend $$. Pikka's suggestion will work well also. Though, after you clean the floor up with soap and water let it dry before applying the vinegar. It is very important for the floor not to soak in liquids as it will not fully get rid of the smell!

I don't have a remedy for the smell but a 4 yr. old dog should not be wetting like that. Our terrier had "leaky bladder syndrome" and the vet put her on Proin which is a hormone and it took care of it for about 7 yrs. and when it began again we added DES which has taken care of it completely - she is now 14 and no problem. Both are prescribed by the vet but had no side effects. I wish you good luck with the problem and the solution.

I found out Kid n Pet sold at walmart for right under $5 works great for dog urine ofor and stain. Just squirt it on the spot and rub with damp cloth. I then use my little green carpet cleaner with the solution in the cleaner. Nice, clean and refreshing. Little dog can't find that spot to redo.

How do I clean dog urine on carpet? There is no stain but an awful urine odor.

By rb

Answers

I'm in the process of doing that now. My older dog has begun not holding it as long as he could when he was younger.

First off, let me tell you what I do to prevent it. If I'm going to be gone more than 2-3 hours at most I put him in his cage (my dogs normally have the run of the house). He won't go in there, but if he absolutely has to at least it's not on my carpet. Also the cage is large enough so that if he does, he can go to the other end to get away from it.

Now for the cleaning. Here's the solution I'm using and it's working great so far. My shampooer has a separate place to pour the soap or whatever into. In there I pour straight dog urine solution leaving about 1/3 of the container for white vinegar. The main container on the shampooer is of course for water. I pour the hottest water that I can in, leaving enough space to pour 1 full cup of Pine Sol (not the generic either, but the Pine Sol brand, original scent).

Then I have at it. I shampoo it thoroughly twice, letting it dry completely between each. After this I take a black light and go around the room (at night, lights off) looking for any "leftovers". If I find any (haven't so far) I spray straight Pine Sol on, wait an hour, and go over it again with the same solution.

So far this has worked great for me, and I've tried many combinations before when I had puppies running around!

I have 4 dogs and 4 cats, all inside pets. So yes we do get mishaps. I have used with great success Mr. Clean either the lavender scent or the aqua blue kind. Both work great. After soaking up an liquid, then I mix some up in a bottle and spray on generously. Let sit for 5 minutes and then use a heavy towel and a heavy weight to soak up any liquid. Usually I step in it until it's all pulled up into the towel. I have a carpet shampooer, in which I mix up Mr. Clean and shampoo the spot up. It works for me.

Sometimes I even add Mr. Clean to my laundry when a cat has messed on a throw rug or something that can be laundered in my machine. No bad scent or odor remains. It is the only thing that I have found that works and is cheaper than buying other products that are made for such problems. Good Luck.

How do you get dog urine out of carpet?

Answers

I add white vinegar to the wash/rinse water in my shampooer. This removes the odor very well and doesn't harm the carpet. You will notice a vinegar odor, but it dissipates once carpet dries. Just make sure you lift the urine from carpet as much as possible before using the wash/rinse settings on carpet shampooer. My shampooer uses the separate containers for a mixture of cleaner and it merges below the water reservoir container; not in it. Then the vinegar is used twice in the wash and again in the rinse. I don't know how large your shampooer's water reservoir is, but on mine, I add two cups vinegar to full container.

How do I get puppy urine smell out of carpet and the house?

By Penny from Puyallup, WA

Answers:

Removing Pet Urine Smell From Carpet

Skip all the homemade stuff and buy "Nature's Miracle." I have had dogs for years (I foster them) and have had to deal with odors. The homemade stuff works a little but the odor comes back. Don't waste your time. Get the Nature's Miracle. (Note: I do not work for them, I just tried it and it actually took out the odor.) (10/06/2010)

By Lee Anne Guryn

Removing Pet Urine Smell From Carpet

The very best thing I have found for any type of odor at all is "XO." It is a product that does not contain chemicals or harmful things to either humans or pets. It is used in hospitals and nursing homes, as well as by many pet owners. I could not find any locally however, so I ordered mine from www.qvc.com; it is in Don Aslett's products; he is the head of the largest janitorial service in the USA. You can sign up to get emails when his products appear, usually in problem solutions.

It's very concentrated, so a little lasts a very long time. You can get it from either there or his own site. Worth its weight in gold! (10/06/2010)

By katrina

Removing Pet Urine Smell From Carpet

I don't know where I heard this, but try regular rubbing alcohol; maybe it will help.

Lots of luck to you! (10/06/2010)

By metroplex

Removing Pet Urine Smell From Carpet

White vinegar is amazing! I've never had a pet urine odor linger after pouring some white vinegar over the spot. I do this after steam cleaning the spot. (10/07/2010)

By Monica

Removing Pet Urine Smell From Carpet

Resolve or the generic is good for the spots, but white/clear vinegar about 1/2 cup in a 1/2 gallon of hot water, pour over site and suck up immediately with your carpet shampooer completely. Then in a rinse, I use 1 teaspoon Febreeze in 1/2 gallon hot water, in the shampooer. Go over spot until all rinse is done, then suck it up. You can't tell you have had a pet in the place. Make sure any time you shampoo carpets that you use floor fans until area is dry to avoid that stale smell that could mean mold. (10/10/2010)

By Grandma J

Load More