Cleaning a Wood Dresser with a Rough Finish

I recently bought a wood dresser which has a sort of rough finish. Whenever I pass over it with a paper towel or a micro fiber rag it tends to grab and pull the material I am wiping with (I'm using Pledge on the rags). There is now paper towel caught in-between the grooves. Can someone recommend a type of material I should buy which won't get caught in the grooves of the wood?

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

You should sand it down and refinish it. Furniture should not be rough.

Cleaning a rough dresser.

Step 1
A sponge works well on rough surfaces.

Step 2
To get in the cracks use a paint brush.

Step 3
I would have the dresser refinished.

Thanks for the paintbrush idea, that would probably work well...It's actually a brand new dresser and the finish is beautiful.

Thank you,

There is nothing wrong with rough surfaces, except that they can be difficult to clean at times. However, the rustic look is very in right now! This includes some things having a rougher finish.

• As stated below, you could use a sponge to clean the rough surfaces. An old t-shirt may also work well, as the material isn't as easily caught and torn. You can even cut an old t-shirt into multiple "t-shirt rags", just be careful not to let the edges snag on the furniture while cleaning.
  • You could use an old toothbrush to get in the cracks, they are good to really scrub when you need to.
  • Refinishing the furniture would eliminate the problem, but would take away the look that you seem to really like. If you can use one of the methods above to clean the furniture well and it isn't too much of a hassle for you, then no need to refinish it.

Enjoy your new dresser!

I would use a lemon oil or an orange oil and I would use a ripped up t-shirt like the other person suggested and just saturate it to saturate the t-shirt and clean it like that another suggestion somebody said lightly sand it I would do that myself honestly before I would go get the orange oil but I like working with wood but I would like to send it down to just soft even layer and then throw a clear over it