How to Fix Damaged Surfaces of Wood Furniture
Wood furniture can get damaged in a number of ways. This is a guide about how to fix damaged surfaces of wood furniture
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Wood is lovely, but at times it does not age well, or exposure makes the veneer or varnish suffer needlessly.
This guide can help you revive that nice dresser or nightstand, not so that it regains its monetary value as much as that it still looks attractive in your home.
Total Time: 30 minutes to one hour
- It is always a good idea to clean your furniture thoroughly with Murphy's Oil Soap before you begin. You can either buy the spray version, or dilute it one part to 3 parts water on a rag, then rub it on the wood.
- Look for the marker that most complements your piece of furniture. Then, after your furniture has dried from the washing, simply draw on your wood! This can be a fun step for children to finish. It can also be helpful during this step to rub in the ink with a rag each time you draw on your piece of wood. It can also be helpful to draw over the same area multiple times.
- Let it dry for a while. I would say, wait at least 5 minutes, because you don't want the ink to rub off in your next step.
- After the marker is all dry, then take equal parts olive oil and vinegar, shake them up really well in a jar, and rub it on the wood with a terry robe or other porous cloth.
- As you can see, it looks great! As good as new, when viewed in a certain light. As you can see in my photos, this really nice and pricey nightstand was worthless before the treatment. But now, unless you look at it up close, it looks as good as new. I also tried this treatment with 3 other nightstands and a rolling cart on this particular day, and the results were impressive each time.
March 26, 20170 found this helpful
thanks for this tutorial! i have some of those markers but was uncertain how they were used. it certainly looks like they make the furniture look MUCH better!