Fixing Wood Furniture Damaged by Household Cleaners

Category Furniture
Using the wrong cleaner on your wood furniture may result in damage to the finish and the wood below. This is a guide about fixing wood furniture damaged by household cleaners.

My husband cleaned our nice wooden table with Pine-Sol? Now it has white streaks everywhere and looks very dull and ruined. Any ideas on how to remove these? Thanks.

Stacey from Stephenson, VA

Answers

Best Answer

This sounds crazy, but try mayonnaise. I was manager for a cleaning company and a client asked me if I could fix his table. Said been that way long time. It was either watermarks or from heat. Rub in mayonnaise then take a clean soft cloth and clean it until the greasiness is gone. I found this tip in a magazine. Works beautifully!

My wonderful husband tried to help me by washing the table, except he used a dish washing scrub and Palmolive. Now it looks dull, streaky, and horrible.

I've tried using Murphy's oil soap and it didn't help. I'm going to use Orange Glo next. I just got this table! Please help.

Answers

I was told to use polyurethane by a guy who makes tables. You can paint brush it on.
I haven't tried it yet But I need to. I have 3 tables to fix.

Did you find a solution for your table? I have a similar situation. Thanks!

Old English that you pour into your rag works beautifully and should bring your table back to life.

My daughter sprayed my polished wood table with Windex. Then she proceeded to try and clean it up with a baby wipe. What's left now is the texture/pattern of the wipe embedded in the dried Windex (I think!)

By Karen

Answers

I found this link on wood finishes...

http://tlc.hows … ure-surfaces.htm

I was reading about linseed oil and I remembered once reading that linseed oil can self ignite if oily rags are left laying around, I would put them outside in a metal bucket or somewhere where they can dry out and wouldn't do any damage if they caught fire.

As a matter of fact, if you needed to start a fire and couldn't here is a link that tells you how to start one with linseed oil and rags. Wow!

http://www.ehow … linseed-oil.html

Good luck!

Robyn

Make sure the metal bucket is large, that you dry out the rags in, and they are not stuffed in there with no air, this is a sure way to start a fire.

Actually it was the windex that caused the dammage. You cannot get windex on wood because it distroys the finish.

You will have to refinish your wood or have it done. Read the lable before you use any product. Windex tells you not to use it on wood.

Sprayed glass cleaner on my coffee table. Left it very streaky. Tried lemon oil and it does not work. What can I do

I had the same problem,so I used salt and water and scrubbed it and it went,I had a cloudy stain on the wood but it's gone now

Anonymous

Try mayonnaise and cigarette ashes. At least a tablespoon of mayonnaise to two tablespoons of ash. Mix it together on the stain, let it sit for couple hours, then use soft cloth to buff it in. Hope this helps.

So I was cleaning my upright piano one day, and I found some Clorox wipes. Well ya know Clorox wipes cleans about anything, so I cleaned it and now there are white patch looking blotches of something on there.

I have scrubbed it and scrubbed with warm water, but it won't come off. This was my piano teacher's piano when she took lessons. Please help!

I used diluted Murphy's Oil Soap, a soft cloth, and elbow grease on the grungy edge of an oak desk top. The finish came up too, so I stopped. What do I do now? What can I use on the rest of the desk, chair, woodwork, banister, doors, etc?

Answers

I would dilute white vinegar and water. Use a soft cloth to clean the oak desk. Or you can mix a mild dishwashing soap with water to clean your oak desk. Do not scrub too hard because it will leave streaks behind. Afterwards, rinse and wipe your desk with clean water. Allow this to dry.

Old English is very good and they have a product for light or dark wood. I have also used mayonnaise on wood tables and that also worked. Rub in mayonnaise then take a clean soft cloth and clean it until the greasiness is gone. I found this tip in a magazine.

Be sure to test any new product on an inconspicuous area before using it on top. Run gently with soft cloths - no scrubbing.

If your top is dirty try using a Magic Eraser (lightly damp - not wet) before polishing.

I use Guardsman polish in my furniture and have never had an issue

A bleach bottle was left on the coffee table and now there is a mark from the bottle.

Answers

I employed a furniture restorer to remove a very nasty stain out of table top just like the one you show in your picture. He told me that the stain was the result of heat from a hot jug or cup. The heat had caused condensation to form under the varnish of the table. Taking the table outside and Wearing appropriate safety gloves etc. He put a very small amount of clear mentholated spirit onto the table stain and set light to it while gently wiping the stain with a dry clean cloth until the flame was out. He repeated the process several times until the stain disappeared before my eyes and the table was as good as new.

How do I repair my bleach stain on my wood table

We used clorox bleach wipe on wood table. It's stained now. How do I get to stains marks out? Do I have to have it refinished?

How do I get degreaser off a wood veneer table top that was rubbed in by mistake?

By LaRae

A bottle of Totally Awesome cleaning product was left sitting on the diningroom table. It must have had product on the bottom, because when I removed it there was a black crusty stain. I worked and got the black off and now have this off white cloudy mark. How do I get the table back to normal? I had put a protective coating on the table in hopes of something like this not ever happening. I have never had a problem with water getting on it. Help please this way my grandmother's table!

By Shirley D.

I had a household degreaser on my wood dresser. The degreaser leaked from the spray bottle and created a sticky glue like ring. I removed it with cold water, and I noticed that I removed the clear coat and maybe the stain. So now I have a really light ring around the front of my new dresser. Any suggestions?

(Its made of Swirly Wood Veneer with a Carlet Finish. I don't know what that means.)

Kevin

Answers

Try rubbing in a little furniture oil and/or furniture scratch remover to see if it helps.

If not, you can always refinish the area that is discolored.

Kevin, did you ever find a solution? I have three pieces of furniture with the same ring. Looks like bubbles up super glue.

My husband accidentally set a bottle of wood floor polish on our dresser and left a mark, how can I remove the polish from the furniture?

By DB

Answers

I did the same thing. Help!

A bottle of regular Fantastik spilled on my daughter's white finished wood dresser. We didn't notice the spill until it had already penetrated the surface and stained the area a light purple. Any way to get it out?

Answers

there are reasons this happened- http://www.ewg. … anerOrangeAction and as you are not supposed to use it on wood the answer is, unfortunately, no.

Soft Scrub dripped off the counter and ran down the front of oak drawers leaving a dark line. I tried OOPS and a light sanding, but stain is still there.

By Denise

How do I remove the stain caused by an antibacterial wipe from a wood table top?

By Mike from OR

Certain cleaning products intended for other uses can damage the finish on your furniture if they are accidentally used or spilled on it. This is a guide about removing a Windex stain on a wood table.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes